Who is chasing the spiral horn slam?

I believe Jason Stone was just advertising a discounted Mtn Nyala in Ethiopia.
I hunted Mountain Nyala with Jason and can highly recommend him and the area he hunts.

After 20 years, completed my spiral slam last year with an Nyala. I hunted the hard ones first then got distracted chasing all of the eland species and bushbuck species. I have loved every hunt for the spiral horned.

Most intriguing hunt was Mountain Nyala with Jason Roussos in Ethiopia. Unique, fantastic, seriously fun.

After 20 years, completed my spiral slam last year with an Nyala. I hunted the hard ones first then got distracted chasing all of the eland species and bushbuck species. I have loved every hunt for the spiral horned.

Most intriguing hunt was Mountain Nyala with Jason Roussos in Ethiopia. Unique, fantastic, seriously fun.
How long was your mountain nyala shot?

Congrats on accomplishing those goals. What’s next? Will you repeat any of the specialized spiral hunts?

My mountain nyala was 300 yard shot. but took 45 minutes to reach the carcass . Tough country but a great hunt. I hunted with the late Colonel Negussie .

My mountain nyala was 300 yard shot. but took 45 minutes to reach the carcass . Tough country but a great hunt. I hunted with the late Colonel Negussie .
Were you able to use a tripod or some improvised field rest for that?

Were you able to use a tripod or some improvised field rest for that?
No. I used traditional sitting position. I had used for decades before I heard of tripods. I would not take the shot today I am embarrassed to say.

Last edited:
Old school shooting skills! A real rifleman. Love it.

Any photos of your fav spiral horn trophies taken?

Where is Hank2211?-I’ve read enough of his reports to believe he should be sharing his experience on this thread

I’ve read Peter Flack’s book. I’m contemplating finishing my spiral horn slam. Would still need a LDE and Mountain Nyala. I love the spiral horned species and most plains game. I try to hunt areas with one or two spiral species available when planning dangerous game hunts. I went to Zambia specifically for a sitatunga, as well as the three lechwe species and giant sable. Didn’t even seriously hunt buffalo when there. I am of the opinion that dangerous game doesn’t always have to take precedence for me. Good luck to you and hope you get the spiral horn slam!
View attachment 582108View attachment 582109
View attachment 582110View attachment 582111View attachment 582112View attachment 582113View attachment 582114View attachment 582115View attachment 582117
Hi Scott,

We just returned from Zambia, and are looking at going back next year for Sitatunga, Sable, and Black Lechwe. May I ask who you went with?

Cheers,

Cecil

I chased the spirals! Great fun and great hunts. All were a challenge. The Lod Derby is my favorite and the toughest. My. Nyala are a challenge as they are high in the mountains in Ethiopia, and Ethiopia is a super place to hunt!
Do it!

I chased the spirals! Great fun and great hunts. All were a challenge. The Lod Derby is my favorite and the toughest. My. Nyala are a challenge as they are high in the mountains in Ethiopia, and Ethiopia is a super place to hunt!
Do it!
That's interesting as I have heard the outfitters have gotten really good at LDE success rates. Getting there, dealing with the heat, etc but you should see a lot of LDE. I would have thought the Mt Nyala or bongo would be tougher than LDE. Of course, each experience varies.

As in all hunting, being in the right area is a great help along with the right PH. I was fortunate in both aspects. My first LDE was very tough - 9 days tracking in 100 degree heat. The next was in a great area and taken after 4 days. Bongo on day 3 in a thrilling tracking job, the Mt Nyala was after 2-3 days of watching and glassing. Sitatunga was a classic “sit in the machan” for several sits then connected. All great fun and worth the effort. Bushbuck, kudu and eland were great fun. The regular nyala was last and in an area we did not expect to one.
Go!

Hi Scott,

We just returned from Zambia, and are looking at going back next year for Sitatunga, Sable, and Black Lechwe. May I ask who you went with?

Cheers,

Cecil
Sorry I didn’t see this question until now. I went with Ntengu Safaris in Zambia with Fico Vidale as PH. I posted a report and highly recommended the areas. Got everything I wanted except roan but came close.

As in all hunting, being in the right area is a great help along with the right PH. I was fortunate in both aspects. My first LDE was very tough - 9 days tracking in 100 degree heat. The next was in a great area and taken after 4 days. Bongo on day 3 in a thrilling tracking job, the Mt Nyala was after 2-3 days of watching and glassing. Sitatunga was a classic “sit in the machan” for several sits then connected. All great fun and worth the effort. Bushbuck, kudu and eland were great fun. The regular nyala was last and in an area we did not expect to one.
Go!
Did you take them in one hunt each? If so, that’s fantastic. I typically have very good luck but I hunt hard until the end…has worked on most species except for leopard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RickeyBrie

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com