Whitetail deer season 2023-2024

I’ve been white-knuckling Tammy either sex archery tag in IL. General firearm opens on Friday. This will be my wife’s first hunt ever. So naturally, she shoots first. I treat firearm and muzzleloader seasons as grocery shopping. Archery is left to catch up with one of my target bucks.

Meanwhile... near Johnson city TX.
Ruger no 1, 308, walnut / stainless with full mannlicher stock.
Berger vld-h 155 over Varget.

Beautiful Texas countryside.

1000004525.jpg

Well, my hunting season went to sh*t real quick and in a hurry. My friend in-laws decided to sell the property, and they received an offer the day it was listed. :( I've hunted a bit but can't seem to get into it since I feel I'm being rushed to kill something since we are running out time, and we don't know of the closing date if there is one. To top it off, the rut started, and the farmer who farms part of the property decided to pick his cotton before the rain got here, and it's been chaotic for the last 3 days.
PARA45, i can relate to your story - have lost several hunting property’s and some after hunting them exclusively for 10 years: Owner changes his mind; sells; Farmer allows “new” hunters etc.. Unless. You own your OWN LAND you are always at risk. Finally in my 50s bought land in Adirondacks NY and later in VA - not the best trophy hunting but has deer/turkey/bear and I can plant my own food plots and enjoy every aspect —- especially being in “control”. Good luck finding another place - it’s worth the effort and cost to have Your Own.

@HankBuck, yes my wife said the same thing to me. We are looking, but for some reason land plus interest rates are out of this world.

Ok details:

Rifle: SAKO 85 Classic in .308
Scope: Leica ER 2.5-10x42, set at 6 power
Ammo: Norma Oryx 180 grain
Rest: Protector elbow bag
Wat
Ok details:

Rifle: SAKO 85 Classic in .308
Scope: Leica ER 2.5-10x42, set at 6 power
Ammo: Norma Oryx 180 grain
Rest: Protector elbow bag
Watch: Rolex
Boots: Sperry Top Siders
Weather: 89 f
Wesheltonj: everything was so interesting Until you revealed you wore “Sperry Top Siders”... I’m calling the Game Warden because there must be a law against that !

@HankBuck, yes my wife said the same thing to me. We are looking, but for some reason land plus interest rates are out of this world.
It’s nice that your Wife is supportive because for most - it is a big expense. We saved for many years to afford a nice property and even then it was a 4 hour drive - built a Cain there and went most weekends year round....loved every minute there for the 10 years we owned it, very special memories now because we sold it and moved South to VA. This time we bought our primary house that was already “on hunting property”. Nice to walk out my back door and be hunting immediately. It’s not going to produce record book “anything” but it’s Ours and has a little bit of Everything. It is worth saving for, at least my children and Grandchildren will have a place to hunt.

Wesheltonj: everything was so interesting Until you revealed you wore “Sperry Top Siders”... I’m calling the Game Warden because there must be a law against that !

Jenny, the game warden phone number is 867-5309.

We are closing on Friday, 8.25%. We have a clause that if/when rates drop for 500.00 fee We get the new rates. We can do that once a year for the life of the loan.
As you have already found out - loans on vacant land are tougher to get and have higher interest rates then a mortgage on a house. We got a better rate using some $$ from a line of credit from our bank ( based on mortgage we had on our existing home) plus cash we saved. But whatever it takes - get it, land will always be worth something and the joy a hunting property brings can’t be measured in just $$$

Me, my kids, and a neighbor have been chasing this buck for three years. We’ve had him on cameras each year but this morning was only the second time anyone has seen him in daylight. None of the kids wanted to get up this morning so dad took the shot. He was chasing a doe hard and would never stop moving. I have to admit to a little buck fever having targeted this buck for so long and finally having a scope on him. I ended up taking a 160 yard shot angling hard away as he was walking out of the green field back to the timberline. Not my preferred shot but the 300WSM and my Africa loads (180gr AFrame) performed perfectly.
IMG_7505.jpeg
IMG_7504.jpeg

I don’t know exactly how old he was, but I feel like this deer was bigger last year. Looking at this cam picture he was taller last year but maybe not as massive.
IMG_7509.jpeg

The blind was a lot more crowded this evening!
IMG_7510.jpeg

Last edited:
My son and I joined a hunt with Cross Trail Outfitters (a Christian hunting and fishing mentori g program). It felt pretty hot for a couple Alaskans. But my boy got a nice little buck. Nothing special but it was unique since we don't have deer where we live. I think he was more excited about the deer than his first bear! I guess we always want what we don't have. The Oklahoma boys want to visit me in Alaska. My boy wants to buy a ranch in Oklahoma so he can deer hunt more!
received_1066575101364270.jpeg

Me, my kids, and a neighbor have been chasing this buck for three years. We’ve had him on cameras each year but this morning was only the second time anyone has seen him in daylight. None of the kids wanted to get up this morning so dad took the shot. He was chasing a doe hard and would never stop moving. I have to admit to a little buck fever having targeted this buck for so long and finally having a scope on him. I ended up taking a 160 yard shot angling hard away as he was walking out of the green field back to the timberline. Not my preferred shot but the 300WSM and my Africa loads (180gr AFrame) performed perfectly.View attachment 570156View attachment 570157
I don’t know exactly how old he was, but I feel like this deer was bigger last year. Looking at this cam picture he was taller last year but maybe not as massive.View attachment 570158
The blind was a lot more crowded this evening!View attachment 570160
MAd, Dad took the shot? Dad DESERVED “the shot” and YOU deserved that Great Buck!! Congratulations, I’m sure you appreciate how special that buck is and Not just because he’s big - but because he was difficult to get and took years, then - YOU made your “one opportunity” COUNT by making a decision to take a difficult shot and executed it perfectly....that is a total TROPHY. Your children have many years to get theirs and they will appreciate a buck like that only later in their lives - I believe you should “earn” a great buck and you did !

MAd, Dad took the shot? Dad DESERVED “the shot” and YOU deserved that Great Buck!! Congratulations, I’m sure you appreciate how special that buck is and Not just because he’s big - but because he was difficult to get and took years, then - YOU made your “one opportunity” COUNT by making a decision to take a difficult shot and executed it perfectly....that is a total TROPHY. Your children have many years to get theirs and they will appreciate a buck like that only later in their lives - I believe you should “earn” a great buck and you did !

Thank you sir, I appreciate that. The kids were all pretty pumped for me too. It was a fun day.

Oklahoma buck, my first Whitetail.

Smile says it all!

Bergara Premier in 6.5 Creedmoor, 130 Sierra Game King, 90 yards. Good deer medicine.

Watch was a Garmin, and hoodie was from Walmart

View attachment 570426
Congratulations!! That is an awesome first whitetail. Heck, it would be an awesome deer for any deer hunter.

Safe hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuldaCash

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg