Whitetail deer season 2023-2024

That man knows how to hunt whitetail deer!
His son does too, his son got one moose and another buddy of ours who owns the truck got the other one in northern Maine in 2021.
IMG_1875.jpg

His son does too, his son got one moose and another buddy of ours who owns the truck got the other one in northern Maine in 2021.
View attachment 568837
That's a nice moose! Someday I'll draw a tag up there, I think I'm on year 5 of applying.

Reactions: SS1
Many people ate very good that winter!
Yeah, they said the 2 moose looked like brothers and weighed within 100 lbs. of each other, even though they shot them in somewhat different areas.
I think they said they were around 700 lbs. each.

The only bad part is our buddy with the truck who is a lobsterman - when he got back home with his moose antlers, he tied them to one of his lobster trap buoys/rope and took them out in his boat to leave them in the salt water river he lobsters from so the crabs on the river bottom would clean them up before he mounted them on the wall.
When he went back to haul them in the rope/buoy/antlers were nowhere to be found!:S Oops::E Shrug:
That river has really bad current and tides so he should have known better :E Nono: and just tied them onto a rope and thrown them off the dock where he keeps his boat instead.

The wife helped fill the freezer this morning… bagged a pretty 2.5 yr old doe… between her doe, my doe, and my buck we’ve got a good bit of venison already in 2023…

I’m guessing the rut will start here in the next 7-10 days… hopefully we’ll see a few of the big buck strolling around during daylight hours then…

Slick 6 point yesterday. No brow tines puts a target on young bucks on this highly managed property in Webb county texas. “Golden triangle” for south texas bucks.

Big mature bucks still seem to be nocturnal. Need a nice big cold snap in temp to get the pre rut started here.
IMG_4514.jpeg

Well, my hunting season went to sh*t real quick and in a hurry. My friend in-laws decided to sell the property, and they received an offer the day it was listed. :( I've hunted a bit but can't seem to get into it since I feel I'm being rushed to kill something since we are running out time, and we don't know of the closing date if there is one. To top it off, the rut started, and the farmer who farms part of the property decided to pick his cotton before the rain got here, and it's been chaotic for the last 3 days.

gentleman told me he had a hole drilled and mercury I believe put in the stock for weight or recoil reduction I don’t 100 percent recall 1600 obo

Slick 6 point yesterday. No brow tines puts a target on young bucks on this highly managed property in Webb county texas. “Golden triangle” for south texas bucks.

Big mature bucks still seem to be nocturnal. Need a nice big cold snap in temp to get the pre rut started here.
View attachment 568956

Could you please share details on your Rug No.1? Thanks!

Nov. 10, 5pm, on the shores of Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada. This beauty came crashing through the hawthorn thicket right at me. He caught a whiff of my scent, snorted, then took off. I caught him mid-body while he was on the run, and the bullet exited just behind the opposite side front shoulder. Found him piled up 30 feet away in some long grass.
For reference and scale, I am 6'7", and weigh 260lbs.
We don't have a scale, but he was big and heavy, and we harvested more meat off of him than we normally get from two deer.
A fellow here who is really into scoring antlers told me it scored a 169.
10 points, and he was 6.5 years old.
CZ 550
6.5x55, 156gr Geco Teilmantel
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40
German #4 reticle
20231110_170446.jpg
20231110_171738.jpg
20231111_091739.jpg

Could you please share details on your Rug No.1? Thanks!
Newer production 30-06. I think model “a” (shorter barrel). I traded it locally with a ah member here. I gave up my Sauer 100 9.3x62.

This rifle recently went on my first trip across to Namibia and did great.

Nov. 10, 5pm, on the shores of Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada. This beauty came crashing through the hawthorn thicket right at me. He caught a whiff of my scent, snorted, then took off. I caught him mid-body while he was on the run, and the bullet exited just behind the opposite side front shoulder. Found him piled up 30 feet away in some long grass.
We don't have a scale, but he was big and heavy, and we harvested more meat off of him than we normally get from two deer.
CZ 550
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40
German #4 reticleView attachment 569002View attachment 569003View attachment 569004

Fantastic deer! Congrats!!

CZ 550
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40
German #4 reticleView attachment 569002View attachment 569003View attachment 569004

Stud! Congrats

We have a great little ranch in central Texas . . . and I haven’t killed anything but pigs in over a decade! It has been great!

Oh, and last picture is of my 12 year old daughter with a deer killed last year. . . with a custom .340 Weatherby on Ed Brown action ( without brake)!

089ABADC-8EE5-4FC7-A502-E2B9E47CC595.jpeg
D806F96D-45BC-44A0-BF3F-BE3C7E640442.jpeg
217ACCE5-F0DA-4EA5-B793-7D1B094E6931.jpeg
42E0D83B-E8F5-48ED-9EA4-493659F3DB07.jpeg
56FE29C8-FC64-4230-AD24-1225B82ADFAC.jpeg
36009AA1-C33F-4832-A6CF-1B98C2C3EF81.jpeg
30A4E4B3-1EA5-4918-A6A6-B21AE608F64C.jpeg
1165E23A-36E6-4CD9-82CD-21B316C7E9DE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
CZ 550
Leupold VX-R 3-9x40

Look at that mass! Wicked buck. Canada bucks are awesome!

Hunting with my 22 y/o daughter yesterday evening. She made a great shot on this nice 6 point. Don’t tell Bob, but she was shooting her Browning .243 Win. Bang/Flop. She is 5 for 5 on deer with that set up in her deer hunting time. I would rather sit with her and watch her shoot a deer than any other hunting I have ever done. We both get so excited.
IMG_6062.jpeg

Well it happened today, just taking a breather before the real work sets in. She walked in on me about 80 yards before I bleated to stop her, the whole time debating to shoot or not…hunting public land I try not to be too picky and espouse often that I’ll shoot the first legal deer I see (which has had surprisingly good results before). Happy I’ve got a deer, kind of sad it’s over, kept looking for a buck behind her. 5th outing of this season so a deer in the freezer is worth 2 in the bush I suppose.

In the spirit of the OP
Rifle: PSA 18” 6.5 grendel primary arms acss 5x prism
Ammo: 123gr sst
Rest: offhand
Weather: 26* swirling winds increasing to southerly’s
Watch: arf sub rep (gen milgauss is summer sized and glidelock is a must for swinging freezing to sweating winter hunting)
Boots: crappy old leaking brush buster waders cut down into hip boots
Rifle carried slung conventional muzzle down.

Now for the mess and pack out. Cheers

IMG_6277.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some great whitetails. Are there mule deer in the same area as well? Could a fella get a tag for a mulie and a whitetail or is it limited to one or the other?
The tags are good for both species and the South Platte River units include both sides of the river but they are narrow and don’t include the adjacent mule deer habitat. Anything can happen but it is best to decide which species you are most interested in and hunt them in their preferred habitats/units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuldaCash

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg