Which to choose for clays/dove

I prefer sub gauge for all upland and I’m beginning to see more and more in competition. Once you start shooting 28 you’ll find it addictive.

@Ridge Runner - if You have NEVER had a problem or jam with a Rem 1100 - go buy a Lottery Ticket today because You might be 1 in 100millon. Great soft shooting guns and they ruled skeet fields in the 1970s but they did require cleaning.
Regarding handling rain/snow/cold duck hunting temps — they were very unreliable and that’s why Remington made the 1187. I was told by a gunsmith that there was an aftermarket procedure that could be done on the 1100s that would help them be more reliable to hut with but don’t know the “details” of what that procedure was.
Maybe you have one of the more “perfect” 1100s and lucky if so — don’t sell it.

Why should I sell a perfectly good that has been working very well for me for over a couple of decades in all kinds of weather and hunting a variety of critters.

I do take my pump gun, double barrels, and old single shot out once in a while. But it's the semi's that go out the most.

Excellent idea.

@HankBuck and I have met up a couple times for a round of sporting clays and he even introduced me to 5-stand.

Might put out a feeler to see if those living in the DMV would like to do an AH shoot.
@BeeMaa good idea, that would be fun and plenty of Sporting Clays courses around DC, MD, Virginia

I shoot a Perazzi MX20 or my Robertson lightweight 20. I do like the idea of a franchi AL48 in 20 or 28, tho'

I shoot a Perazzi MX20 or my Robertson lightweight 20. I do like the idea of a franchi AL48 in 20 or 28, tho'
The Franch 48 AL is a long recoil driven semiautomatic that resembles the Browning A5 in a few ways. It was introduced in 1948 and discontinued somewhere around 2017. Most likely due to being purchased in the mid-1990's by Beretta Group. They now make the Affinity series of semiauto shotguns that uses a nearly identical operating system to the Benelli inertia drive because Benelli is also owned by Beretta Group.

The 48 AL was a wonderful, well balanced shotgun that broke clays and downed game with aplomb.

As to the OP. Answer is simple but as definable as thin smoke. In my limited experience, only parts of Clays may be similar to shooting doves. IMO, a 20 ga that is fairly nimble and shoots where the shooter is looking, is best for doves. In other words, a shotgun has to fit! The heck with price, brand, model or design. For doves, depends on “season” and conditions of the dove hunt/shoot. Great deal of difference between pass shooting doves hell bent on going somewhere across the prairie or migrating and doves going to or from food or water. For Clays, dunno, whatever looks good and matches a dapper vest with all the patches, I guess ;)

Why should I sell a perfectly good that has been working very well for me for over a couple of decades in all kinds of weather and hunting a variety of critters.

I do take my pump gun, double barrels, and old single shot out once in a while. But it's the semi's that go out the most.
Eventually, Remington got around to fixing most of what was wrong with 1100 sticky cycling. As I recall, it involved changing the gas port and O-rings. Many gunsmiths were doing it for years. So simple even gunowners could do it. Yours may be a later model or the fix was done.

As to the OP. Answer is simple but as definable as thin smoke. In my limited experience, only parts of Clays may be similar to shooting doves. IMO, a 20 ga that is fairly nimble and shoots where the shooter is looking, is best for doves. In other words, a shotgun has to fit! The heck with price, brand, model or design. For doves, depends on “season” and conditions of the dove hunt/shoot. Great deal of difference between pass shooting doves hell bent on going somewhere across the prairie or migrating and doves going to or from food or water. For Clays, dunno, whatever looks good and matches a dapper vest with all the patches, I guess ;)
Some guys carry a rack of guns on a cart for shooting different stations. I kid you not. If you Google it I'm sure you'll find them for sale. Serious clays shooters ... or serious show-offs? The idea of clays is to emulate different field situations. How many guys drag a cart of guns behind them field hunting? :D

Some guys carry a rack of guns on a cart for shooting different stations. I kid you not. If you Google it I'm sure you'll find them for sale. Serious clays shooters ... or serious show-offs? The idea of clays is to emulate different field situations. How many guys drag a cart of guns behind them field hunting? :D
@Ontario Hunter - I get your point and maybe you see some “Flashy” shooters at your clubs…but I’ve Never seen any Clays Competition where any competitor was shooting more then one gun during a tournement - I’m sure it might happen but not with good shooters. It’s even getting rare to see a top competitor change chokes at a station - some even shoot Fixed chokes. The best Sporting Clays shooters seem to stick with one gun during a tournament and sometimes don’t change guns for years - always a 12ga (unless it’s a sub gauge event). Some Skeet competitors will use a 20 ga in 12 ga events but skeet courses are all the same and max range limited to 21-23 yrds. There’s nothing wrong with shooting a nice, expensive, good looking shotgun….but it won’t break any more birds without a good shooter behind it.

Hello from Houston.
New to the Forum
In the market for a 12 ga semi auto for clays and maybe dove.
Looking at 3 possibilities...
1. New Beretta A300 Ultima 28"
2. Used Beretta A400 Ulitma Xtreme Plus 28"
3. Used Beretta AL391 Teknys 28"
I previously owned an A400 but had to sell it during COVID.
It was nice, but i don't shoot that often to pay new prices again.
The AL391 has only 1 available for purchase and looks to be in great condition.
How is support for discontinued AL391? parts and service?
Thanx

Note... Budget is $850-$1200, as These are priced in that range.
Go to Brileys and ask to compare the options that fit your need and budget. They will help you out!

@Ontario Hunter - I get your point and maybe you see some “Flashy” shooters at your clubs…but I’ve Never seen any Clays Competition where any competitor was shooting more then one gun during a tournement - I’m sure it might happen but not with good shooters. It’s even getting rare to see a top competitor change chokes at a station - some even shoot Fixed chokes. The best Sporting Clays shooters seem to stick with one gun during a tournament and sometimes don’t change guns for years - always a 12ga (unless it’s a sub gauge event). Some Skeet competitors will use a 20 ga in 12 ga events but skeet courses are all the same and max range limited to 21-23 yrds. There’s nothing wrong with shooting a nice, expensive, good looking shotgun….but it won’t break any more birds without a good shooter behind it.
Interesting. Of course no one at our country bumpkin course drags around a cart ... though someone advertised them on the bulletin board. I have changed guns during a round but only when I had one break down ... or the last time I tried to shoot the Citori. First two stations were a total disaster so I ran back to the car and grabbed the old A5 I had brought along just in case. Still managed to pull through with 38. Two very long stations I'll switch to modified. The rest I shoot skeet choke.

Interesting. Of course no one at our country bumpkin course drags around a cart ... though someone advertised them on the bulletin board. I have changed guns during a round but only when I had one break down ... or the last time I tried to shoot the Citori. First two stations were a total disaster so I ran back to the car and grabbed the old A5 I had brought along just in case. Still managed to pull through with 38. Two very long stations I'll switch to modified. The rest I shoot skeet choke.
@Ontario Hunter - there are also some top competitors that carry around a spare trigger set and other minor spare parts “just in case” they have a gun malfunction during a tournament — the last thing they ever want to do is change guns.

I shot at the very highest levels when I was competing. I have never seen anyone shoot more than one gun in an event. I have no clue where this idea came from.

Attachments

• Rugged Gear 4-Gun Shooting Cart Combo Package - Classic Upland Supply.pdf
    578 KB · Views: 3
I’ve seen them used many times. Carrying the squads guns. Maybe rules have changed, but when I was competing I am fairly certain you could not have used multiple guns. The gun malfunction rules were pretty clear on this.

I have a baby stroller that was designed for running that I converted to carry my shotgun and gear around the clays course. I’ll see if I can find a picture of it.
1720000659600.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a baby stroller that was designed for running that I converted to carry my shotgun and gear around the clays course. I’ll see if I can find a picture of it.
View attachment 617505

We did something similar with a collapsible cart/wagon… any time it doesn’t make sense to load up the trailer and side by side, the wagon makes a nice alternative… throw the ammo and bags in it, and put a couple of guns on the sides and we’re good to go…

I’ll see if I can get out in the garage today and get some pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
40Saralee39

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.