Which to choose for clays/dove

I thought Krieghoff and Kolar ruled the competition circuits in the US.

Beretta has found a way to overcome the traditional gas fouling issues ... or so the guys tell me at the club. I know two who shoot there's the entire year without cleaning. One of the club officers shot his Beretta auto for  years without cleaning before it failed one evening. He sent it in to them to be "fixed." Early crappy Model 1100s gave gas guns in general a bad reputation for fouling. Two rounds of trap and those had to be cleaned or they jammed. I have heard gas guns don't perform well in extreme cold but that's not surprising for any auto. I can make my old A5 work in subzero temps but I have modified it extensively.
@Ontario Hunter - I’ve heard good things about the reliability of Beretta 400s and from a high volume duck hunter I know that shot the 300 for ducks - it jammed frequently in cold/wet conditions. He said the 400 was much better but still switched to SBE3 and claimed it was “much better”. That has also been my experience with the SBE 1 - it is as close to a “Never jam—-rarely clean” gun as I’ve seen. I would still clean it after hunting in rain and also because most of my waterfowl are shot over tidal Salt Water. Very pleased with it for hunting but there are better guns for Clays (although the SBE is adequate and certainly “reliable”

You see a lot more Kreighoff I think on the adult circuits..

I see a few of them here and there with the HS and college students... there are a handful of families willing to make that sort of investment in a kids gun... but not many... they are something of a rarity in SCTP circles for sure..

I thought Krieghoff and Kolar ruled the competition circuits in the US.
@BeeMaa: certainly Kreighoff does and you can’t go to a shoot and Not notice the number of them. I have only heard about Kolar quality but based on their high price assume they are good - even if Not as popular yet. Beretta DT11 and their brand new model are well reviewed, Browning does Not appear to be a player with the Top shooters except for a few in Europe where they are sold with fixed chokes but the 725 is very popular at the shoots i attend …just don’t notice them used by the Top shooters but there are a number of them at every shoot…that could be because they sell for only $3300-$3800. I know I like my Browning 425 (20 years old, 30,000 rounds) and still shoot it a little better then my new Caesar but that doesn’t mean its a better quality gun —- fits like an old friend!
If I had a Stoeger and could run 100 straight with it - that would be my Favorite !

If I had a Stoeger and could run 100 straight with it - that would be my Favorite !
If I could shoot 100 strait with a Stoeger, I’d probably be able to do the same with something much better looking. ;)

@BeeMaa: certainly Kreighoff does and you can’t go to a shoot and Not notice the number of them. I have only heard about Kolar quality but based on their high price assume they are good - even if Not as popular yet. Beretta DT11 and their brand new model are well reviewed, Browning does Not appear to be a player with the Top shooters except for a few in Europe where they are sold with fixed chokes but the 725 is very popular at the shoots i attend …just don’t notice them used by the Top shooters but there are a number of them at every shoot…that could be because they sell for only $3300-$3800. I know I like my Browning 425 (20 years old, 30,000 rounds) and still shoot it a little better then my new Caesar but that doesn’t mean its a better quality gun —- fits like an old friend!
If you could shoot 100 straight with a Stoeger, you could walk on water. I watched one go full auto on the clays range a couple of years ago ... twice. Yikes!

If you could shoot 100 straight with a Stoeger, you could walk on water. I watched one go full auto on the clays range a couple of years ago ... twice. Yikes!

Now thats making me want to take my Stoeger 28 gauge out to the rifle range to see if I can get it to go full auto.:cool::LOL::LOL:

I'm surprised at the failures/problems some of you are having or had with your Remington 1100's. But then again I'm not shooting serious competition with them, just have to shoot to fill the line if needed when my range day falls on a shoot day. Otherwise I wait for the competition shooters to finish then shoot, practicing for opening morning of goose season and the 12 o'clock (noon) opening day of dove season, both seasons open up on 01 Sept here in Tennessee.

With exception to an O-ring I slit during reassembling after a thorough cleaning either having shot 25 to 100 clays putting the shotgun away for several days or after the close of hunting seasons. I've never had a problem out of any 1100 or 11-87 I own, or owned. Even in hot summer / early fall weather or in the wettest coldest winter weather.

I'm surprised at the failures/problems some of you are having or had with your Remington 1100's. But then again I'm not shooting serious competition with them, just have to shoot to fill the line if needed when my range day falls on a shoot day. Otherwise I wait for the competition shooters to finish then shoot, practicing for opening morning of goose season and the 12 o'clock (noon) opening day of dove season, both seasons open up on 01 Sept here in Tennessee.

With exception to an O-ring I slit during reassembling after a thorough cleaning either having shot 25 to 100 clays putting the shotgun away for several days or after the close of hunting seasons. I've never had a problem out of any 1100 or 11-87 I own, or owned. Even in hot summer / early fall weather or in the wettest coldest winter weather.
The issues were very common for high volume shooters but the 1100 and 11-87 were two of the best of their time. Don't get me wrong, most all the top shooters were using 1100's in those days but we all had tool kits to keep them running. Shooting sports cause a lot of companies to change or they will not be used by competitors. High volume bird hunting in Argentina is also a big proving grounds for what will hold up.

For my shooting and hunting habits now, my 200+ year old Lancaster Hammer Gun does everything I need and at a pace I can keep up with. An 1100 would more than suffice as well but those autos are just too complicated for me. :LOL:

Safe shooting

High volume bird hunting in Argentina is also a big proving grounds for what will hold up.

both of the outfitters Ive hunted with in Argentina use 20ga Benelli Montefeltro's exclusively.. When I asked one of them why.. his response was very simple.. the montefeltro struck the proper balance between reliability and affordability.. they were a nice enough gun that they wouldnt turn off discerning hunters.. but affordable enough that the lodge could keep dozens of them on hand all the time... and reliable enough that they rarely had to worry about major repairs or malfunctions.. despite these guns seeing thousands upon thousands of rounds a week at times, for several months of the year..

I havent bought one yet.. but my experiences in Argentina led me to believe I really should consider a montefeltro for birds (currently I shoot a nice little webley and scott 26" bbl 20 gauge O/U... but Ive thought a semi might be fun to have around as well)..

both of the outfitters Ive hunted with in Argentina use 20ga Benelli Montefeltro's exclusively.. When I asked one of them why.. his response was very simple.. the montefeltro struck the proper balance between reliability and affordability.. they were a nice enough gun that they wouldnt turn off discerning hunters.. but affordable enough that the lodge could keep dozens of them on hand all the time... and reliable enough that they rarely had to worry about major repairs or malfunctions.. despite these guns seeing thousands upon thousands of rounds a week at times, for several months of the year..

I havent bought one yet.. but my experiences in Argentina led me to believe I really should consider a montefeltro for birds (currently I shoot a nice little webley and scott 26" bbl 20 gauge O/U... but Ive thought a semi might be fun to have around as well)..
I have a 20g Montefeltro that my wife uses for most of her shooting. Superb gun and I highly recommend it to anyone. The only thing I dislike is that there are too many plastic pieces.

@Ridge Runner - if You have NEVER had a problem or jam with a Rem 1100 - go buy a Lottery Ticket today because You might be 1 in 100millon. Great soft shooting guns and they ruled skeet fields in the 1970s but they did require cleaning.
Regarding handling rain/snow/cold duck hunting temps — they were very unreliable and that’s why Remington made the 1187. I was told by a gunsmith that there was an aftermarket procedure that could be done on the 1100s that would help them be more reliable to hut with but don’t know the “details” of what that procedure was.
Maybe you have one of the more “perfect” 1100s and lucky if so — don’t sell it.

I have a 20g Montefeltro that my wife uses for most of her shooting. Superb gun and I highly recommend it to anyone. The only thing I dislike is that there are too many plastic pieces.
@Saul my Son and I have 3 Montefeltros (2/12ga & 1/20ga). All are 20-25 years old and function flawlessly on skeet & hunting. We hunt waterfowl in Winter with them too and after 20 years I did need to replace a spring in the stock that “rusted” badly…it was an easy fix and replaced with a stainless steel spring. I don’t recall much plastic on these older guns and our stocks are wood. Here are minor problems we’ve had: I dropped and bent the vent rib (from impact) on my 12 ga (my fault). My Son put 25,000+ rounds thru his 20 ga and cracked his stock - replaced for a few hundred $$. They can break but they never jam.

Last edited:
@Saul my Son and I have 3 Montefeltros (2/12ga & 1/20ga). All are 20-25 years old and function flawlessly on skeet & hunting. We hunt waterfowel in Winter with them too and after 20 years I did need to replace a spring in the stock that “rusted” badly…it was an easy fix and replaced with a stainless steel spring. I don’t recall much plastic on these older guns and our stocks are wood. Here are minor problems we’ve had: I dropped and bent the vent rib on my 12 ga (my fault). My Son put 25,000+ rounds thru his 20 ga and cracked his stock - replaced for a few hundred $$. They can break but they never jam.
Mine is wood stock, and I think the wood is exceptional. I was referring to the trigger guard being plastic, which always felt cheap to me.

Mine is wood stock, and I think the wood is exceptional. I was referring to the trigger guard being plastic, which always felt cheap to me.
Agree, plastic = cheap and Benelli did that to the Super Black Eagles too after 2000, the trigger guard on my Son’s SBE2 has some composite material that i do Not have on my SBE1 and his trigger needed two repairs in the first 7 years. I’ve heard that the SBE3 is better made than the SBE2 and think Benelli got many complaints about the SBE2. I would not hesitate to buy a good used SBE1 or Montefeltro from 1990s over a New one.

When I shot doves at Argentina last Spring I used an A400 in 20 gauge. Worked real well for the duration of 3 days. No cleaning, just adding WD-40 occasionally. :ROFLMAO:

Here in the USA, for dove hunting, I'd use a 20 gauge SxS. Mine is an Aya 53

1719436430056.jpeg

1719436453049.jpeg

Agree, plastic = cheap and Benelli did that to the Super Black Eagles too after 2000, the trigger guard on my Son’s SBE2 has some composite material that i do Not have on my SBE1 and his trigger needed two repairs in the first 7 years. I’ve heard that the SBE3 is better made than the SBE2 and think Benelli got many complaints about the SBE2. I would not hesitate to buy a good used SBE1 or Montefeltro from 1990s over a New one.
I owned a SBE2 and didn't experience any issues other than the Benelli "click" a couple of time. Of course they sorted that out with the SBE3.

No argument on the early "H&K" Benelli's out there, they are a thing of beauty. I'm not sure when H&K stopped importing them, but I know they were done by the mid-1990's.

I am not a big clay shooter. Where I live we have three big ranges, Gun Club, National Shooting Sports and Joshua Creek. If I was to start regularly shoot clay birds, I would purchase a clay gun. Most likely a Beretta O/U. That said I have shot a plenty of clay birds at the Gun Club using my Browning A5. No one said a word as all charity shoots. That would not work at Joshua Creek.

Regarding Doves. I regularly shoot those using my A5 - 12g. I don’t think it overkill, others might. Years ago shot lots of quail with my A5. Generally in South Texas, those are either walking or riding on the front of a truck. Vastly different from the rest of Texas or the South.

I am not a big clay shooter. Where I live we have three big ranges, Gun Club, National Shooting Sports and Joshua Creek. If I was to start regularly shoot clay birds, I would purchase a clay gun. Most likely a Beretta O/U. That said I have shot a plenty of clay birds at the Gun Club using my Browning A5. No one said a word as all charity shoots. That would not work at Joshua Creek.

Regarding Doves. I regularly shoot those using my A5 - 12g. I don’t think it overkill, others might. Years ago shot lots of quail with my A5. Generally in South Texas, those are either walking or riding on the front of a truck. Vastly different from the rest of Texas or the South.
Sounds like there’s a pretty decent group of AH members who frequent a couple of those ranges or courses, probably even more in the Austin or Houston areas. Might be worth trying to plan an afternoon or weekend clay shoot at some point for a bunch of AH members.

Sounds like there’s a pretty decent group of AH members who frequent a couple of those ranges or courses, probably even more in the Austin or Houston areas. Might be worth trying to plan an afternoon or weekend clay shoot at some point for a bunch of AH members.
Excellent idea.

@HankBuck and I have met up a couple times for a round of sporting clays and he even introduced me to 5-stand.

Might put out a feeler to see if those living in the DMV would like to do an AH shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mauricejeand

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.