Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

Not neccesarilly, I propose the Mannlicher Schoenauer models 1903, 1905, 1908 and 1910.
Thus:
MS Army Navy Cased.jpg

MS Proprietary Cartridges.jpg

MS 3511_83_52-mannlicher-schoenauer-bolt.jpg

Last edited:
So many beautiful rifles in this thread which leads me to one question, why are American custom rifle sight hoods always such an eyesore!

Unpopular opinion: I always thought the M1 carbine was the best looking rifle ever.
89C381D8-8A7E-4DAE-8C71-9086DCE0F8F0.png

“Hemingway liked the simple, ‘pure’ (to use his word) guns he had used all his life. If there was anything he taught me, it was that — respect for good, simple, well-fitting equipment, and a simple, ‘primitive’ attitude toward hunting.”

Tommy Hemingway.jpg

He also liked hosing sharks with a Thompson Submachine Gun.

My choice would be between two rifles I already own: a .505 Gibbs on a Granite Mountain double square bridge action, built by Lon Paul with receiver sight and scope mount by J P Smithson and a .416 Rigby built by Dennis Erhardt on an original Oberndorf square bridge magnum Mauser action.

Fortunately, I don't have to make that choice.

View attachment 516554View attachment 516555

View attachment 516552View attachment 516553
That 505 is fantastic, have to keep that aesthetic in mind when I finally commit to building one.

Perhaps in a new category "best looking battle rifle".
@MS 9x56
Any SMLE. The longest serving battle rifle in history. 1888 until fairly recently. Event the RCMP reluctantly let it go because it always went bang even in the coldest temperature.
Bob

Maybe the Jungle Carbine but the rifle was pretty ugly.
@MS 9x56
Beauty is in the eye of the beer hold.
Heck even ugly looks good if you drink enough.
Man I make Robert Redford look ugly compared to me when I look in the mirror after a gut full of Bundy.
Problem is I see 2 of me and in the morning I'm just back to plain ugly
Bob

@MS 9x56
Beauty is in the eye of the beer hold.
Heck even ugly looks good if you drink enough.
Man I make Robert Redford look ugly compared to me when I look in the mirror after a gut full of Bundy.
Problem is I see 2 of me and in the morning I'm just back to plain ugly
Bob
I'm thinking of the Leonard Cohen ditty about growing old, and our appearance ...

Damn shame they don’t make them like that anymore. Now all cars pretty much resemble every other brand in their class and same with black plastic rifles.

That image came up on a search and made me smile with warm nostalgia.

In the mid 80s I had a Roman Red 1959 Impala Sport Coupe with 348, factory air,... . Simonized her once a month.

I've never thought a woman that was too made-up was ever pretty. I feel the same way about rifles. I prefer a clean, natural beauty that looks as good wearing the dirt from a day a afield as she does when she's morning fresh.

That reminds me when I got back from Germany in 78 I bought a 1960 Oldsmobile super 88 that had been sitting next to a farmers barn for 5 or 6 years. Asked how much he wanted and he said $250. I told him Ok if he would use his tractor to pull it up beside the road. Took the mouse nest out of the Rochester quadrijet carburetor.Put 4new tires on it and drove it for 2 years. It had a 460 V 8 and would pass everything except a gas station. The doors had to weigh 250 lbs a piece. Sold it for $2000 and wish I had kept it until gas hit$4 a gallon.

I bought a '53 Olds 88 in 1979 for a bit less. Great car with the 303 'Rocket'.
When men were men ,cars were made of steel and guns were blued steel and walnut. The world was a much simpler place. You could actually do your own maintenance and work on your car without a computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acetylcholine

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with