Which airlines are "Firearm Friendly"? And which airlines are not?

Have flown with American a few times domestically and they're good about getting your case to you on the ground but the check-in agents don't really know the rules and you have to be firm with them. Flying Qatar to JNB via Doha from Dallas soon, booked the whole way on Qatar and am hoping it goes smoothly.
It will go smoothly. Just have your Qatar paperwork handy. You are correct that you must be firm with AA agents. They are well meaning in most cases but clueless.

SAA will not carry guns you have to use Airlink (no problems) and Jennifer will handle the notification with for you. she is great
Old news. They got their paperwork done with the govt and now carry guns. But we use Airlink as well because we know the system and they have had good service of late.

SA is flying domestic and regional flights and they do carry firearms. Bad info here guys.
All the SAA ticket booths were still closed in Joberg airport when I was there in August. I believe Safair took over most of their regional routes and planes. Seems I heard a rumor SAA would be resurrected.

They do work, but with much more limited range. Combine this with generally less people having iPhones in Africa makes it a more difficult proposition.

But that AirTag carrier option from Pelican I will try to find more out about. Especially for attaching to an Americase.

They do work, but with much more limited range. Combine this with generally less people having iPhones in Africa makes it a more difficult proposition.

But that AirTag carrier option from Pelican I will try to find more out about. Especially for attaching to an Americase.
It's my understanding the AirTag can be picked up by iPad as well. Once the luggage is out of the airport it may be more difficult to track due to lack of Apple products but I suspect there are always enough international travelers with iPhones to track them inside airports. The tags can't be tracked in flight because all phones are turned off.

I pulled the foam up and put the AirTag underneath next to the Pelican case wall. Worked very well.

Jennifer at Travel Express booked me on Turkish Air for my upcoming trip to Romania. They are apparently good with guns. I will report back post trip.

A quick follow up on this trip. Turkish airlines is gun friendly. However, their counter staff are all contractors and do not understand firearms handling. Despite being first in line in Atlanta, I was made to wait until the entire flight was checked in as the agent claimed my gun was not in the system. After everyone else was checked in, one of only two Turkish employees came over, took one look at the screen, and showed the agent where it indicated that my firearm was in the system. Not a big deal, it just cost me an hour in the lounge, but be prepared.

AirTags, at least for travel to Africa are not perfect. I just got back from a hunt in Namibia and I used an AirTag in my SKB gun case and my aluminum 4 wheel checked luggage. When I landed in Addis Ababa it it said my suitcase was still back in Washington DC...but it was not...Ethiopian airlines brought it to me down in baggage claim to do the rifle and ammo check. It also failed to pick up the bag on traveling back through Addis on my return.....until i was standing next to the bag I think some of the problem could be the aluminum suitcase...which does not bode well for me when I take 2 rifles on my hunt because then I use my Americase 3 gun safari case.

Phillip,
Sorry correction, Virgin calls SAPS and SAPS security person takes you to the SAPS office to sign book to end permit and they put rifle on plane. It is not a Virgin employee like at SFO. Your correct.

Which airlines are "Firearm Friendly" ? And which airlines are not?
i fly both Delta and Qatar. if you do your homework at least out of Atlanta zero problems with any of my safaris

Why would anyone avoid Heathrow when British Airways is also carrying guns now? I’ve been taking guns through Heathrow without one glitch for the last 10 years with Virgin Atlantic!

Why would anyone avoid Heathrow when British Airways is also carrying guns now? I’ve been taking guns through Heathrow without one glitch for the last 10 years with Virgin Atlantic!
The problem with Heathrow is changing terminals. If a gun lands at one terminal and must depart from another, it must be moved to that terminal by a bonded courier. As I understand it this affects mostly Brits as all international flights arrive and depart the same terminal. I flew through Heathrow my first trip to Africa in 2019. British Airways is indeed now carrying guns but last time I checked their handling fee was ridiculous.

All the SAA ticket booths were still closed in Joberg airport when I was there in August. I believe Safair took over most of their regional routes and planes. Seems I heard a rumor SAA would be resurrected.
They are flying and I saw planes at each airport Last summer. They never stopped domestic and regional flying. They just announced more international flights including Brazil. Maybe they will finally get back to the US and get some more competition going.
Here is the flight schedule.

Is flying British Airlines from US to Europe (Spain) any issue with firearms? I've seen some negative posts just looking for any updated information.

Is flying British Airlines from US to Europe (Spain) any issue with firearms? I've seen some negative posts just looking for any updated information.

Short answer is NO. Long answer is as long as you are on BA metal and not AA or Iberia (Iberia and Spain have some additional requirements) metal and do not change airports in London Heathrow/Gatwick you are fine. That said, BA gun fee is high. You must call them in advance giving the brand, model and caliber of firearm. Then at 72 hours before your flight you must confirm your firearm transport has been approved. Make sure, you keep a copy of your airport paperwork as you will need it for the return flights.

Fly Virgin Atlantic. It’s a $100 bucks each way. Never a problem dozen trips Sfo to Jo’berg.

I think I'll go Delta, but it's Air France on the return. I've not used AF before for firearms, any experience with AF/CDG back to US?

The problem with Heathrow is changing terminals. If a gun lands at one terminal and must depart from another, it must be moved to that terminal by a bonded courier. As I understand it this affects mostly Brits as all international flights arrive and depart the same terminal. I flew through Heathrow my first trip to Africa in 2019. British Airways is indeed now carrying guns but last time I checked their handling fee was ridiculous.

Changing terminals at Heathrow is not a problem. Changing airlines is a problem at Heathrow. BA uses both T5 and T3. For example, flights from Austin arrive and depart from T3, while JNB is from T5. You just need a longer layover, 3 hours is best.

I think I'll go Delta, but it's Air France on the return. I've not used AF before for firearms, any experience with AF/CDG back to US?
If you are going to do that, use an Agent. Air France requires Written approval. And I hope you speak French.

Changing terminals at Heathrow is not a problem. Changing airlines is a problem at Heathrow. BA uses both T5 and T3. For example, flights from Austin arrive and depart from T3, while JNB is from T5. You just need a longer layover, 3 hours is best.
My first safari was through Heathrow with guns and I changed airlines. No problem. We never left the same international flights terminal. But anyone on a British domestic flight going to Africa will land and depart from different terminals. Then bonded courier must move the guns to departing terminal. Pain in the ass. Bigger pain in the ass is British Airways gun handling fees. Yowsa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taging653

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]