Which airlines are "Firearm Friendly"? And which airlines are not?

I have a Qatar flight soon, will see how smoothly that goes and with the transfer to Airlink at JNB and back. Driving to Dallas, so I don't have to fool with the AA come get your gun and walk it over to Qatar routine.

When I flew with them last year I checked my bags and rifle case all the way through to Joberg, and so did the rest of the large group. I started with American.

But then we hit Dallas and Qutar's permit system where we had to go out of security to their check in counter and get our paperwork done instead of doing it at the gate. To say that is was a cluster ^%^& would be putting it mildly

A lot depends on where you are traveling to and from. Years back, flying from Houston to Newark, the Continental agent said to me nice guns--I'll upgrade you to first class. On the way back the two young female agents were shock when I said I had guns and almost tried to get me arrested.

Same airline very different experiences.

Air France was bad in the old days. Not sure if they even allow guns any longer. British Airways is taking guns again but their handling fee is ridiculous. For folks flying regionally into Heathrow, watch out! Domestic flights are at a different terminal than intl and require a bonded courier to move gun between terminals. South African Airways is belly up. Swiss Air is very gun friendly. Lufthansa never caused me a problem but their handling fee is borderline ridiculous. Air Canada has always been good to me generally. As noted above, try to book with airlines that have cooperative agreements, like Star Alliant Group (e.g. Air Canada, Swiss Air, Lufthansa, and formerly South African Airways). Check your guns once and then pick them up at Joberg for police inspection. Both SaFair and AirLink in South Africa were still taking guns last year. However, the local British Airways affiliate there was still not taking guns.

We traveled from Portland, Oregon to Atlanta Hartsfield, to JoBerg, to Port Elizabeth RSA. We used Delta and Air Link. Travel was easy and seamless in both directions.

Depends on your definition of "friendly." If they accept firearms? The fee they charge? The application process? Personally, I think Emirates is the best everything is on-line and last time I checked no fee too.

I have a Qatar flight soon, will see how smoothly that goes and with the transfer to Airlink at JNB and back. Driving to Dallas, so I don't have to fool with the AA come get your gun and walk it over to Qatar routine.
Good point regarding the def of “Friendly” - my experience is closer to which airline is “least hostile”. For me, every flight with a firearm is an Adventure and while I’ve never had a major problem - I’m never “relaxed”. I always carry copies of the airlines Firearm policy as well as copies of the FAA firearm regulations...several times these came in handy when I showed them to airline employees, specifically when one employee wrongly told me my ammo could Not be in same locked case as my rifle (both FAA and most Airlines permit ammo to be in same case as guns). For any hunt in the U.S. that is less then a 12 hour drive —- I always drive. Other hunters may not worry as much as me but I’ve found that flying in general is rarely pleasant and traveling with firearms adds one more thing to worry about.

Question for the AH members: any European (Belgian if possible) members have used Turkish airlines recently, travelling to South Africa with firearms?

The carrier I had booked with just cancelled all future passenger flights, so I need some new options for this November.

Turkish seems to be gun friendly, and they have pretty short flights (all things considered) , but would love to hear some first hand experiences.

I have had good experiences with Delta and United on four trips to Africa over the past several years.
Qantas was a pain in the butt and not hunter/rifle friendly, likewise the Australian Border Police. Never again. Too much BS paperwork.

Thanks for the input so far. I’m mainly looking to fly from Brussels, in order to avoid yet another step in the flights where things can go wrong. Direct would be preferred (for time as well as lower chance of firearms being stuck in transit somewhere) , but with my original carrier going belly up, that option is off the table.

Both with stops, Ethiopian airlines in 14hours, Turkish airlines in 16hrs, Emirates/Qatar in 19hours.

Question for the AH members: any European (Belgian if possible) members have used Turkish airlines recently, travelling to South Africa with firearms?

The carrier I had booked with just cancelled all future passenger flights, so I need some new options for this November.

Turkish seems to be gun friendly, and they have pretty short flights (all things considered) , but would love to hear some first hand experiences.
What airline folded on you?

Thanks for the input so far. I’m mainly looking to fly from Brussels, in order to avoid yet another step in the flights where things can go wrong. Direct would be preferred (for time as well as lower chance of firearms being stuck in transit somewhere) , but with my original carrier going belly up, that option is off the table.

Both with stops, Ethiopian airlines in 14hours, Turkish airlines in 16hrs, Emirates/Qatar in 19hours.
Book with airlines that are partners in the Star Alliance. I check my guns with Air Canada here and never see them again till I get to Joberg. Flights are typically from Toronto to either Zurich or Stutgart where I have a lengthy daytime layover and change to Star Alliant carrier. Same with return. I check the guns in at Joberg with either Swiss or Lufthansa and don't see the guns again till I have to clear customs at Pearson in Toronto. You should be able to book on either airline to Stutgart or Zurich for connections to Africa. What's your destination airport?

Several have advised me to stow my carryon and catch a free bus downtown Stutgart and do some sightseeing in the opera house district. But I'm usually too tired for that and instead catnap in the airport. One of those two airports actually has recliners one can sack out in. Gotta look for them though. That lobby is kinda hidden.

Checking guns in with Swiss Air is cheap. Lufthansa has become a bit expensive. British Airways gun handling fee is plumb ridiculous.

Last edited:
We called Air France Air Chance in the old days. I love Emirates. In reality it often depends on who is behind the counter. Have your paper work in order, be patient, and smile. Sixty years of annual hunting air travel I have had it all happen but never lost a firearm. A couple times my firearms did not make the trip but I got them back. unexpectedly borrowed rifles and still had great, successful adventures.

Last edited:
We called Air France Air Chance in the old days. I love Emirates. In reality it often depends on who is behind the counter. Have your paper work in order, be patient, and smile. Fifty years of annual air travel I have had it all happen but never lost a firearm. A couple times my firearms did not make the trip but I got them back. unexpectedly borrowed rifles and still had a great, successful adventure.
A trap shooting friend had a horrible experience recently with guns and Air France. They have a bad reputation in just about every category.

Glad to hear from you, Happy. Hope you are doing well. Just finished my fourth trip to SA. Rather unremarkable in the trophy acquisition dept, but I had a good time. Perfect weather. Every day was cool and lightly overcast with rain most evenings. Wildflowers were spectacular. Saw lots of new country. Alas, the 404 did not break a cap. Buffalo were very elusive. But hey, if I don't shoot em I don't have to pay for em. :D

Ontario, I am doing fine, thank you for asking. I just turned 85 I take walks at 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM, plus a daily workout with light weights. Seems to be working. Maybe good genes or just lucky. I chuckle recalling long ago your writing in Field & Stream you did not understand interest in African hunting. Seems like you have caught the infection like so many of us. Must confess have taken four more Cape buffalo since turning 80. Kindest Regards to all. Bahati Njema

since first of year have had pneumonia twice, fractured a rib which disguised the pain of very serious gall bladder infection an emergency surgery followed. Plus a couple months recovery. But what’s the heck I am back to all my old mischief.

A friend of mine use Turkish all the time from the USA to everywhere he hunts with guns and has no problems.

I've flown Turkish several times but without weapons both business and cattle class. Excellent in-air service.

Last edited:
Lufthansa and Swiss Air have never been a problem for me or my guns flying out of Europe to South Africa. Get thyself AirTags for gun cases! Those little gizmos are a game changer!
Yep, I know exactly where they inspected my luggage. It is still transmitting two weeks later, probably in a crevice or box. I may need to go back and try to find the AirTag.LOL

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 7.18.14 PM.png
IMG_3398.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrianneBar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.