Wheels Up in 9 weeks, here is my checklist...

I'll also note that my extensive first aid kit is in addition to the trauma kit in my hunting backpack. It's also completely unnecessary and takes up a lot of space in my checked bag. I haven't really used it in 3 trips to SA and I left it for my PH this year. The only items in there that I've actually used include:
  • Fingernail clippers
  • Tweezers
  • Afterbite
  • Medical tape (works great for blisters)
  • Bug spray/repellent
  • Bandaids and
  • Sunscreen.
Everything else important is already in my dopp kit or carry-on, like Advil, Immodium, and chapstick.

Rand makes a wonderful hat. Why am I not surprised our tastes are similar. This one will travel with me to Zambia.

I truly do wish that I had the self-discipline to follow a checklist. Just more comfortable winging it. :rolleyes: But we'll both look great.

As a bald guy, I have to wear hats. I have several felt hats that I love, but there's no way I could wear them in Africa - my head sweats *way* too much for them. I'm guessing you guys have hair to soak that up or just don't sweat like I do. I wear a Tilley Airflo and even that is problematic when it's over about 75F.

As a bald guy, I have to wear hats. I have several felt hats that I love, but there's no way I could wear them in Africa - my head sweats *way* too much for them. I'm guessing you guys have hair to soak that up or just don't sweat like I do. I wear a Tilley Airflo and even that is problematic when it's over about 75F.
It's pretty darn warm here in Texas and we have been wearing these types of hats for just a little while. :E Shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty darn warm here in Texas and we have been wearing these types of hats for just a little while. :E Shrug:
Oh I'm not saying it can't be done or it hasn't been done for ages. I'm just saying *I* can't do it.

I reworked my Safari checklist for the current conditions and the 21 day hunt I will have in Zimbabwe. I usually pack everything and check it off the "completed" column a couple of days before leaving. I do weigh it just in case, but usually quite a bit under the limits. PCR test result will be the day of. Here it is.

View attachment 403065

View attachment 403066

@Tanks your list is very impressive and extensive. As Major Kong said, "Geez, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

I would forget stuff. Heck, the other day I dreamt I was in Zimbabwe at camp and realized I had forgotten to pack my ammo. I was hustling like crazy to secure ammo in my dream. After I woke up I actually went downstairs and turned on the computer to make sure ammo was on my list. :ROFLMAO:
I had a similar dream that I was in Maine hunting bears and had no ammo lol I'm definitely making a checklist lol

Rand makes a wonderful hat. Why am I not surprised our tastes are similar. This one will travel with me to Zambia.

I truly do wish that I had the self-discipline to follow a checklist. Just more comfortable winging it. :rolleyes: But we'll both look great.

View attachment 403079

Love it, I just got a low safari in natural. I had them make me some hand curls in the brim and that was silly in hindsight. What is your brim width? I'm sending my back Monday for some alterations. I might add some binding while it is there.

I reworked my Safari checklist for the current conditions and the 21 day hunt I will have in Zimbabwe. I usually pack everything and check it off the "completed" column a couple of days before leaving. I do weigh it just in case, but usually quite a bit under the limits. PCR test result will be the day of. Here it is.

View attachment 403065

View attachment 403066
Great list...one question. What type of luggage do you use for your checked bag?

Nice list. Some of the other items I’d add have already been stated: tweezers, blister pads, medical tape and facemasks. I’d add some type of allergy and cold meds.
I’d increase the amount of $20 notes as well as add $50 in $5 and $10’s, but that’s me.
Have a great safari. Shoot straight.

You guys who pack at the last minute willy-nilly make give me anxiety. No way my OCD would let me get away with that.

I'm generally packed two weeks in advance of wheels up. I'll repack at least once, and a few days before wheels up I use my trusty spreadsheet to inventory everything again to ensure I haven't missed anything. I have three full sets of paperwork (most notarized), one in my carry on, one in my gun case, and one in my checked bag.

Yes, I use a packing spreadsheet. TBF, I use a spreadsheet for lots of stuff. It's even color-coded. Here's a preview:

View attachment 403142
OMG!!

I once threatened to fire one of my operations officers if he ever tried again to bring me a decision matrix.

And I meant it. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!

I once threatened to fire one of my operations officers if he ever tried again to bring me a decision matrix.

And I meant it. :cool:
:D If you only knew the depths. I am very much *that* guy. Too much psychology, evolutionary biology, and behavioral economics/finance in my background. Of course none of that made me this way, but it certainly didn't help.

Completely in character, for both of us! I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that we could never work together effectively. $100 says we'd come to blows over the assembly of a piece of Ikea furniture.

I'd also bet that we'd get along famously around the campfire. Cheers!

While I certainly make a list, mine are never that detailed or color coded. Most of the time I just wing it, and what I forget I just buy there or forget about it and put up with the inconvenience. My wife however would search the entire continent to purchase what she left.

Great list...one question. What type of luggage do you use for your checked bag?
Most of the time I use a Rinowa trunk. It is deep enough for the ammo case and long enough for the shooting sticks (African Sporting Creations compact). It has been through a lot of trips with me.
1621797471714.png

Nice list. Some of the other items I’d add have already been stated: tweezers, blister pads, medical tape and facemasks. I’d add some type of allergy and cold meds.
I’d increase the amount of $20 notes as well as add $50 in $5 and $10’s, but that’s me.
Have a great safari. Shoot straight.
All the medical stuff including tweezers etc. is part of the first-aid kit. I do bring Halls for cold/allergy stuff as the normal allergy medicine does not work for me. That being said I have never had allergy issues in Zimbabwe in the past.

Now, in regards to bills. I will not be doing any shopping. The cash is mostly for lodging the night I arrive and the night before I will leave, tips and extra trophy or two. Including travel dates I will be in Zimbabwe for 23 days. So, tips will be in hundred dollar bills supplemented with one or two 20s for camp staff and just hundreds for the PH. If I was going to add a side trip then I would have a variety of denominations.

Do y’all use a hat box for airline travel or just put your hat in the overhead?

Business class has its own storage cubby.

Do y’all use a hat box for airline travel or just put your hat in the overhead?
I usually fly business, so there will be a personal locker plus a lot of overhead space.

I mash my favorite warm weather fedora into the bottom of my carry-on.

It’s a simple (and not expensive) Dorfman brand, made of dull green cotton canvas (wearing it in my Avatar picture).

My backup sun hat, (baseball style cap) I just toss into my checked duffel.

It too is made of cotton canvas but much thinner fabric.

Sort of related to this topic of traveling with a hat; In regards to my mentioned fedora, it seems like the worse I treat it, the better it looks.

Good list. I would only add your 4457 and passport photocopies in each bag. Basically all paperwork copied and in each bag just in case.
Have a great safari in Zim!
I can’t wait to get there again next year.
Philip

There is one item that I excluded from my list (most airlines provide it in Business class) that I carry in every Economy flight. A set of noise cancelling head phones. Both my significant other and I wear Bose over the ear noise cancelling headphones. I would strongly recommend them to anyone flying anywhere, they make a big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusannahMo

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's