Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
Headed back to Africa! Always a tremendous feeling to get back to something you love. I was last there in November of last year (and last June also) but I’m always itchy to get back to it. Last year I tried some travel alternatives and didn’t like them in the end. I flew Turkish Air through Istanbul and Air France through Paris on 2 trips. Those were two 12 hour legs and a layover coming and going. It adds a full day of travel on both ends of the hunt with NO benefit unless you stay even longer and sight see. For better or worse, I tend to travel to a hunt as fast as I can get there and spend as much time as possible there instead of in transit. Of course, you see less on the way but for me the whole point is the hunt and the time on the ground. When time off is limited, you have to make some kind of decision on that and I choose not to compromise. If I was retired, it would be different.

I got some questions from forum members about the newer Airbus A330-300 being used by Delta. It’s a wide body design and it seems to have good space upfront but I fly coach and as they say…coach is coach! It’s a 15-16 hour flight as many of you know. I just book a window seat and try to stay seated as long as possible. I can do 10-11 hours and then get up once during the flight. I don’t know about the rest of you but I just don’t eat much on airplanes. For some reason, the food smells different to me so I have a little system where I take dried fruit and peanut butter crackers. So I don’t eat much for a day but I find my stomach is much more settled when I get there. Your mileage will vary on that of course but know yourself and act accordingly.

Once in Jo’burg, I found my friends from RiflePermits.com and it’s always good to see their smiling faces. I’ve worked with Anna and Marius multiple times and they always make me laugh…great people! As usual, no trouble with their assistance and I was on the way to Afton Safari Lodge. I’ve tried several different approaches to that first night in Africa but it sure is nice to get to a place and be asked how you want your steak done! The great customer service and a comfortable bed and hot shower go a long ways to getting your body setup for a good start to the hunt. By the way, Afton House recently remodeled and it looks great! Elize is a great host and I had an excellent visit with Richard Lendrum, the owner. As a side note, if you aren’t familiar with Richard’s shipping and taxidermy options, it can save you quite a bit of money. Be sure to ask him about it.

This was going to be a different hunt in that Craig Boddington had set it up for several hunters to spend 1 week each with him for buffalo. It was hosted and run by Chico & Sons of Tsessebe Safaris. They are based out of the Waterberg Biosphere in Limpopo. Over 20 years ago, Chico moved his family from Spain to Africa and has been guiding in RSA, Zim, Botswana, Moz and other areas since then. I didn’t know Chico and his family before this trip but before the end, we would become good friends.

Chico sent a driver to pick me up the first morning at Afton and the 3 hour drive through the beautiful Waterberg mountains to the property was smooth and easy, especially by African standards. I got settled into the nice lodge and waited while the guys came back with a buff taken that morning by a handgun hunter who was finishing their hunt. After they got in, we had a nice lunch and checked my rifles. On this trip, I brought a Dakota .416 Rigby (same as the ele hunt last fall) and a Blaser R8 in 300 win mag. It was my first hunt with the Blaser.

9R0A7652.jpeg

9R0A7651.jpeg

After a nice dinner that evening, we took a relaxing drive through the area just to see what was moving. I saw tsessebe, blesbok and bontebok, zebra, duiker, ostrich, hartebeest, monkeys and baboons and some warthogs. I could feel myself relaxing already as the hunt began. Stick with me as we are going to find some interesting animals along the way from start to finish!

Last edited:
Very nice lodge, oh and beautiful 416 R. Keep it coming. (y)

Awesome
Have fun and shoot straight. Looking forward to following

Looking forward to this report. Looks like you are off to a good start. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Looking forward to the rest of this report!

Sometimes hunts ramp up quickly and sometimes they run all the way up to the closing buzzer. This was an interesting trip that did both! On the first day, we got into the hunt area around 7am after about a 30 min drive. The truck cab was full this morning as it was colder (about 40 F) and we had crammed as many people as we could inside the truck. The trackers get cold easily and it looked like they had on every layer they could find!

Right away we started seeing buffalo in small groups and all bulls. We saw a few that had great potential in a year or two…then we drove around a corner and the truck just came to a stop immediately. All the binos came up at the same time and we were looking at 3 good bulls off to the right at less than 50 yards. The one on the left was at least 42” but still young…the one on the right was very wide but with a smaller boss and kind of flat looking with no drops…the middle one though…Shazam…he had it all…great bosses, good drops and was 42 plus with a lot of mass. Chico said what do you think and I said, hey that’s a shooter any day of the week.

We drove past them and down the hill to a place where we could pull off the path. We started gearing up and I thought wow…first hours of first morning and we might be shooting. No time for jet lag…time to get serious. Craig and Chico loaded their doubles and I loaded the 416 as the trackers lined out in front of us. We worked back up the hill and found where they had crossed the road after we left them. Within 10 minutes we were on the sticks but they were just behind some trees so we waited. Waiting can turn out or not…this time the wind swirled and they moved. Twice more we stalked, crawled and got back on the sticks and each time the wind switched again as the day warmed up and thermals started moving around. The third time busted, they joined a larger group of bulls so we backed out to let them relax and we moved on. Chico says, plenty of bulls…let’s keep going.

We walk back to the bakkie and drive further into the ranch. I asked the size of this place and Chico said about 15k acres but we would be looking at multiple ranches of 25k plus throughout the week. About 1 hour later, we see some dark shapes moving through the trees just in front of us. The buff cross the road right in front of us and both of them were easily shooters. Nothing was said…nothing needed to say in this truck as we bailed out and checked the wind. Our group is pretty large with PH, myself, 2 trackers, Craig and his intern who is visiting to film hunts. Chico and I go forward quickly into the trees with 1 tracker and the rest stay behind.

Within 5 min, we have caught up to the pair which is now standing in an opening in the trees. As I’m looking at them about 40 yards away, I whisper to Chico…these bulls have huge bodies! He nods at me and we kneel quietly to get a better look at them. One is broken on the left side but is heavy horned and giant in the body. What looks like his brother is behind him with even more of a broken horn and almost as big. At this point, I know I like the bull closest to us but there is no shot with his buddy right behind his vitals. From previous experiences, I know this 400 grain TSX going 2350+ will almost always exit on broadsides and usually on quartering shots. So we wait….and wait…but the wind is strong in our face so there is no rush.

After what seemed a long time but was about 10-15 min, the bull behind adjusted his position and the sticks went up. Chico whispers if he doesn’t fall to your shot, I will follow up since he is on the edge of heavy cover…I nod and get into position. I run through my little pre-shoot routine quickly and settle the reticle 1/3 up and just behind the front leg. The shot breaks and the bull dips down heavily and then turns from the shot….the double 500 nitro goes off beside me and seems to almost accelerate the bull…my 2nd shot is on the way…a hard quartering angle, which turns the bull again to our right. Now he is walking slowly…very sick…I shoot again and he drops. I reload…and we watch…his head comes up and I shoot again without prompting. Now we are on the move and getting behind him…he is done. Wow…11am first morning and the main goal is down.

As many of you know, at this point you stand there looking at him and thinking about the events that have quickly run their course. I see all of my shots have exited and I can’t tell about the 500 nitro..later we recover that bullet in the skinning shed. We look up and his buddy is standing there waiting for him to get up and join him. It’s one of those moments as a hunter that makes you reflective. He stands there the whole time we are recovering the bull…watching…waiting for something that cannot happen. We keep our rifles loaded and close at hand in case he returns.

At this point, Craig, intern and the 2nd tracker join us. I’m looking at the bull as Craig walks up and he says what the hell?!? I turn to him and he says I’ve seen a lot of buffalo dead and alive in over 40 years of hunting Africa and I’ve always said there is NO buff in Africa that weighs a ton. This one does! It’s at LEAST 1/3 bigger than the buff I shot here last week.

IMG_9845.jpeg

9R0A7700.jpeg

IMG_9951.jpeg

Tank of a bull! Congrats and good shooting.
Bruce

For the next hour, we pulled and pushed and winched it into a trailer, which seemed too small for this chunk of a buffalo. We finally get the tailgate to close and head back to camp and the skinning shed. We have to stop several times along the way as the trailer doesn’t seem to be doing well. Ironically this buff had the last word as by the time we got back to camp, the axles were broken, numerous welds had broken loose and the leaf springs had separated. This trailer that had hauled countless eland and buff was totaled! When the butcher came to pick up the carcass the next day, he did the conversion calculation and said this buff weighed 2300-2400 lbs live weight! This is the heaviest buff Craig has seen and the PH agreed saying it was the largest he had taken in 30 years. They certainly grow them big around here!

IMG_7635.jpeg

IMG_7673.jpeg

Only bullet recovered was the 570 soft from the PH's 500NE double. All .416's exited.

IMG_7719.jpeg

That was a huge bull , a brute for sure and how are you going to mount the trailer also back home ?

I was sorry to break the trailer but the PH was more amazed than irritated by it. Craig's statement was what Ruark really meant to say was "use enough trailer".

Holy crap that is one huge bodied buffalo, congratulations. Looking forward to the rest of the story

Funny thing is I have no idea the size of the horns...who cares. Someone said the bosses were 20" but I didn't ever put a tape to it. There will be some measurements on later animals taken. We have a long ways to go!

With a body that size he would probably measure a lot more than one would think!

Thanks guys. Given normal circumstances, I'm always interested in the oldest bull and horn size makes no difference to me...some exceptions even on this trip but that's the normal thing for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teedot

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's