What's up with todays' gun shops?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
Where I live everything is 90% black guns and pistols when I go into the shops looking for USED hunting rifles. They all have new rifles for sale with 99% camo synthetic stocks and many seem to have a SMALL handful of bolt action rifles but half of those are WW2 military rifles. Try and find ANYTHING .338 and up is useless. What has happened? I ask this question to find out if this is a Nationwide trend here and/or in other countries? I guess I'm just fu***** old. LOL

Where I live everything is 90% black guns and pistols when I go into the shops looking for USED hunting rifles. They all have new rifles for sale with 99% camo synthetic stocks and many seem to have a SMALL handful of bolt action rifles but half of those are WW2 military rifles. Try and find ANYTHING .338 and up is useless. What has happened? I ask this question to find out if this is a Nationwide trend here and/or in other countries? I guess I'm just fu***** old. LOL
On occasion i read (or flip through) number of gun magazines, when getting a hand on them.
But, same things you can find there. Overwhelmed with black rifles, Tupperware pistols and tactical things.
Modern hype.
Same is in my local gunshops, even huntig rifles in traditional hunting shop are mostly made with synthetic stocks.
Not to be misunderstood, I have black rifle, tupperware pistol, holsters, etc... But I am manly classic type, and bolt action guy.

Supply and demand.

Like it or not most of the members of this site operate in what would be described as a “niche” community.

Most rifle shooters are .30 caliber and below with synthetic and stainless being favored over blued and walnut.

Advancements in technology (push feed actions) manufacturing processes (metal injection molding) and other factors have made these stainless and synthetic rifles more affordable. While aging equipment (CZ550 and others) of years gone by is scrapped.

Let’s face it, the average hunter is not looking for a Heym Martini Express or Kreighoff double rifle. We are in the minority.

The good news. I absolutely love being in this minority community that’s been created. Time to do more shopping between each other and keep members informed when those good deals on proper rifles show up.

EDIT - You should also know that the door swings both ways. If the local gun shop doesn’t carry what you are looking for, you don’t have to go there.

Black rifles are bulky and heavy for what calibers they come in. I just have one in 308 just to say I have one. Most of mine are bolt actions 338 and above or collectable lever action rifles.

The F’N AR happened and it F’N killed the hunting rifle and scope market!!! Now if it’s not tacticool it doesn’t sell to the new gen and all of a sudden a 6.5 Creedmore is supposedly a serious long range big game round but a 264 Win Mag is unheard of WTF!

I buy 99% of my firearms online, usually GunBroker or Guns International. Same with reloading supplies or ammo, using Midway USA and Ammoseek. Also from a few of the AH sponsors in the biz.

Last edited:
I do my best to support the companies that support hunting, conservation and 2A gun ownership. And yes, some of them are black rifles and polymer framed pistols.

EDIT - You should also know that the door swings both ways. If the local gun shop doesn’t carry what you are looking for, you don’t have to go there.
I never compromise on purchase.
I always keep looking for what I want to buy. And I carefully plan what I really want or need.
Example: DG gun? 2 years search for me. (I could easily buy Bergara b14 in 375 instead)

I never compromise on purchase.
I always keep looking for what I want to buy. And I carefully plan what I really want or need.
Example: DG gun? 2 years search for me. (I could easily buy Bergara b14 in 375 instead)
That’s like many of us here and I agree. Get exactly what you want the first time and you will not look down at your rifle with regrets.

This is the case worldwide, including in our countries in Europe.

The market for used classic hunting guns and rifles is down. At the moment, rifles are offered far below the price and are often not sold. Some expensive rifles are sold for far less than their real value.

As far as modern rifles are concerned, the synthetic stocks are not always beautiful, but they have some advantages compared to the classic wooden stocks. That is maybe understandable why they are becoming more and more available. As for the caliber of the rifles, you only need to read the posts on the Forum to see where the trend is nowadays, certainly no longer caliber .338 or 9,3mm for hunting game outside of Africa.

ARs and handguns are now legally off the market entirely here in Canada. So the shelves in stores and gun shows have changed dramatically. I have noticed the price tags on old WWII military guns has climbed quite a bit. Even the sporterized ones have jumped a couple hundred dollars. A few years ago those could be had as build donors for a couple hundred but now they are $400-$600 and sometimes more. And in military attire a Springfield or Mauser will easily bring $1200-$1500.

The new guns are mostly plastic because it's cheaper to manufacture. Finding a new rifle that isn't painted with Crekote is difficult. Scopes and rings are similarly all drab flat spray-on matte finish. Fancy thumper guns still bring a good price online here but they don't sell fast. For that reason, they are seldom seen on the shelf at gun shops. They can't afford to have guns sitting around taking up space. Turnaround is important for business. It seems most who traffic in quality blued and walnut guns, especially rifles, have switched to online trading. If looking to build a rifle, that is definitely the marketplace to shop for a donor. Internet has been a boon for that purpose.

The times they are a changing.

Been working in the USA gun industry for 18 years,…tactical is the new normal and really all the younger generation understands. Video game indoctrination perhaps. The tactical side of the business sky rocketed during Covid, probably changed the landscape of our industry forever. Also take into consideration there is quite a large population of our country that thinks they’re about to engage in a civil war, there you have your tactical market—-guys that will be in and out of gun stores spending money all the time.

Their is a mix, here in Montana, a lot of long range guns, some classics as well as Tupperware guns. It seems to me, that the big boomers and old long range guns aren't wearing out, but have moved into collections. As the new guns come out in stainless etc. Their are some special runs of the blued guns and walnut stocks though.

Same here, the last 3 or 4 rifles I’ve bought had to be found online and shipped to my FFL dealer. I would much prefer to be able to handle a rifle/shotgun before plunking down any money but I do what I gotta do. I probably won’t buy any more sporting rifles unless I come into some money and buy a double rifle.

Been working in the USA gun industry for 18 years,…tactical is the new normal and really all the younger generation understands. Video game indoctrination perhaps. The tactical side of the business sky rocketed during Covid, probably changed the landscape of our industry forever. Also take into consideration there is quite a large population of our country that thinks they’re about to engage in a civil war, there you have your tactical market—-guys that will be in and out of gun stores spending money all the time.
Also, the hunting gun market normally follows what the military uses. What stalled the AR, was mostly the caliber.

My local scheels used too keep a 700 BDL on the shelf in a common caliber. Usually a 30-06, 270 or 7mm magnum. They also frequently had a new M70 there, either wood or synthetic, and a wood savage.
Now good luck finding anything that isn’t a bergara or CA ridgeline.
I will add that this after (amd before too) the assault weapons ban, there are no ARs on the shelf, period.
Just a sign of the times i guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anton12345

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg