Whats a better scope than...

csmiffy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand
At the moment I have a circa 97 leupold vx-111 1.5-5 on the 416.
Let's be honest here, haven't shot a lot of game with it and nothing for years. Was in Aussie for over 10 years and I didn't have it there and have used other more appropriate rifles since being back.
Whilst it is a pretty good little scope it optically isn't really as good as some other scopes I've been looking through lately although they arent of the same style
What sort of options do I have that won't break the bank?
Maybe go for a more conventional scope (2-7 or 3-9) as with the QD rings I can take it off or stick to the 1-6ish range?
Cheers

That’s a good scope. The next step up would likely be a VX6 1-6x24. From there the next jump is something like a Swarovski Z6 1-6x24.

IMO you can’t improve on what you have with a Vortex or something of that caliber.

1-6 30 Trijicon

Do you mean the Trijicon 1-6x24? If so, I agree, that is a very good scope, close to a VX6 and perhaps a little brighter.

Good advice. Biggest thing is availability and cost as a lot of stuff is more expensive compared to the US after importing. See below about a 1200ish scope in the US
@C.W. Richter good looking scopes, not too badly priced in the US they are nudging over a 2400 kiwi here, but would mean I would a set of rings and bases. My old warne premiers arent really available anymore so need a full set.
There is another 300 bucks to allow for.
Not saying it isn't ideal but the more it costs the longer and less likely it is to happen.

Last edited:
Good advice. Biggest thing is availability and cost as a lot of stuff is more expensive compared to the US after importing. See below about a 1200ish scope in the US
@C.W. Richter good looking scopes, not too badly priced in the US they are nudging over a 2400 kiwi here, but would mean I would a set of rings and bases. My old warne premiers arent really available anymore so need a full set.
Not saying it isn't ideal but the more it costs the longer and less likely it is to happen.
Some sell demonstrators for $1Kish

Frankly, I have a VX6 1-6X on my .404 and am going to change it for a VX3 1.5-5X. The VX6 is a quality scope but much larger and heavier than the VX3, as such the handling, balance, and weight of the rifle is less pleasant. I am moving the VX6 to my .375 H&H.

If it aint broke don't mess with it......unless you just need more magnification.......and I'd stay with Leupold. There are some clearer but much more expensive and not a bit tougher.......or as tough. All this imho btw.

That old VX3 1.5-5X20 is a workhorse. I would at least keep it for your 416 as a backup scope. I have one with a #4 Reticle prezeroed in Alaska Arms rings for a back up scope for my 9.3X62.

As others have mentioned above, a 1-6X 30mm red dot scope from a quality maker is the logical step up. I wish makers would make scopes like the VX3 1.5-5 with red dots 1” tube because I agree with Nevada Mike that they are in fact “handier.”

IMHO, I wouldn’t roll the Vortex dice on a DG scope. I’d keep that VX3 on it before replacing it with any non-Japanese manufactured Vortex.

I'd keep it on the rifle.

It's plenty good enough for me.

I have one riding on a Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H and another on a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby.

Unfortunately for us all, L no longer makes the 1-5x20 I am lucky to have on a 7600 carbine. It's a lighted dot w/ an outer circle that's about 1' at 100 and so on up to 300 yds (max effective range of this gun and scope.) It is wonderful combo for shooting on the move or making follow-ups if need be. They used to have 'em on shotgun & muzzleloader scopes as well. The outer circle puts you on-target immediately, but also serves as a quick rangefinder/holdover indicator if you know the approx. body height of the animal you're after (i.e. 1.5' deer body, 3' circle from ground to top of back, 300 yds, aim 0.5'-1' higher depending upon load/sight in height).

'Had the 1-5 on my 1st 375 (it was just fine.) To aide in poss. longer PG shots, I put the L 1.75-6x-32 on my Son's 375 (I first tested it on my .416 and it shot 1-hole groups.) My Son LOVES this scope (and made a nice frontal brain shot on a buff at 60-80 yds w/ it.) 'Forgot to mention it as it's on his gun, far away. I'm ok with it or the (always lighted) Trijicon 1-6.

Based on what you posted, exactly what shortcomings of the current scope have caused missed opportunities on game or caused errant shots on game?

Do you mean the Trijicon 1-6x24? If so, I agree, that is a very good scope, close to a VX6 and perhaps a little brighter.
And the reticle options are better. Leupold dropped a lot of good options in that dep't. over the years!

*For the low-power typ DG gun scope you mention, long ago I went to EuroOptic, looked through all top mfrs scopes (incl. Kahles, Zeiss, and many others in the $2K+/- category.) I looked both close and far (all scopes lined up on the counter, taking 1 outside at a time) and based upon clarity, brightness, FOV, reticle type (mine is #4 green) saved myself $1K and decided upon the Trijicon. They even have demo models (display models or taken to shows, never on guns.) Now, for a long range, larger scope, I'd go a different route (and have.)

Yup. Have a brand new one in the safe looking for a rifle. I also like the 1.75 x 6. That’s a damn good scope. It’s on my 9.3.

also like the 2.5s Have three of those looking for rifles too!

I have some 30 mm Warne Premier Rings if you need them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraChap

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg