What makes or breaks your decision to book a hunt

Why do certain outfitters do not post their daily rates/trophy fees?
Great question - I asked once, didn’t get a clear response & why I made a personal choice to pass on these sites regardless of hunting success and/or amenities. My guess - multiple reasons w/ afew thoughts being …

* Competitors could low ball their prices by a small percentage %
* Possible - their prices are higher than norm & they prefer to explain why during the client inquiry
* A means to draw in clients who would otherwise pass - waste of time for both Outfitter & Client
* Maybe they prefer to not update their website … I’ve seen prices w/ year dates going back many years old. OK, if they haven’t changed …
* Maybe they have a strong client return & don’t feel the need

I’m lucky to have an Namibia Outfitter who has not changed his Daily Rates since my 1st hunt in 2007 & only about 15% ^ on Trophy Fees since 2007, plus, their pricing is about 15% below avg. for this Country … “Diamond in the Rough” & why I’m planning my 6th return.

Happy Trails

Finally, and this isn't really part of the question, but don't keep going back to the same outfitter. Africa, heck South Africa, is a big place. I have a friend who has now hunted with the same PH six times. He knows a great deal about 40,000 acres of the Eastern Cape, and hardly anything about hunting Africa.

While I understand your train of thought on this completely, I would also offer this perspective:
Some outfitters are set up and quite capable to offer hunting opportunities in several destinations in multiple countries of Africa. If you find that particular outfitter or PH with which you have established a chemistry, repore, and trust who is capable of offering this, then hunting with the same outfit in different destinations can be a huge plus in many regards.

*Example: A 7-day Hunt that includes these days Is Not 7-days of hunting but 7-nights on a calendar. Better options below …

*Option #1: Arrival & Departure counted outside of hunts days & charged @ Observer Rate, client decides arrival/departure times.

*Option #2: Arrival & Departure charged 1/2 Hunting Daily Rate & guaranteed 1/2 day Hunt on both days, Outfitter states must have AM arrival & PM departure from camp.

Or Option 3 which is how I roll.

Travel days, the day before and the day after the hunt. No charges except transportation charges if applicable. It is not practical to hunt half a day on the day of travel, that is the day to test the firearms, unpack, acclimate to the camp etc..

I like your posts on Buff hunting. I am in the middle of trying to figure out a buffalo hunt and I'm all kinds of confused. I know what I want...but it seems like it is everywhere and nowhere...IE super expensive but not really better...or lower cost...but why?

I know there is a real difference in a 10K hunt and a 20K hunt...and I get the issues with fences and so on...but it seems like pricing and date/time of year is all over the map. Kinda hard to comprehend how you get such wildly different answers from various outfitters about "come in x month and we will find more buffalo than you can count" vs the opposite from another outfitter that x month will be hard because of foliage and rainfall/water availability.

I went so far as to buy Boddington's books to figure it out. Its a work in progress.
I get it. Believe it or not, what you’re doing is part of the fun! If you’re like me, it would have been laughable 10 years ago to really be considering a Buffalo safari. Now here you are! Best of luck. You’ll find exactly what you want. Feel free to PM me if you want a sounding board.

Travel days, the day before and the day after the hunt. No charges except transportation charges if applicable. It is not practical to hunt half a day on the day of travel, that is the day to test the firearms, unpack, acclimate to the camp etc..
I agree, I try to always go on a drive to learn the area a little bit, but i always carry a rifle for ( just in case) a giant of a desired animal presents a shot. Which has not happened yet.

@Tanks
The travel days should be included. We had a 10 day hunt that included being picked up from the airport.
What people are not seeing is that even tho you don't hunt the first day the PH still has the travel time to and from the air port and in our case that was 4 hours for him by two vehicles round trip.
That is HIS TIME. If you had to arrange your own tspt that would cost more than the day rate.
All the time to prepare for you arrival has to be accounted for. Setting up for your hunt isn't cheap.

I have a friend that provides guided hunts in Australia and before he even gets a client he is up for $50,000 just to get the concession, staff, fuel and all the other items needed that are unseen like insurances and they aren't cheap.
Don't begrudge the PH for wanting to be paid for a none shooting day.
Would you work a day for FREE.
Bob

@Tanks
The travel days should be included. We had a 10 day hunt that included being picked up from the airport.
What people are not seeing is that even tho you don't hunt the first day the PH still has the travel time to and from the air port and in our case that was 4 hours for him by two vehicles round trip.
That is HIS TIME. If you had to arrange your own tspt that would cost more than the day rate.
All the time to prepare for you arrival has to be accounted for. Setting up for your hunt isn't cheap.

I have a friend that provides guided hunts in Australia and before he even gets a client he is up for $50,000 just to get the concession, staff, fuel and all the other items needed that are unseen like insurances and they aren't cheap.
Don't begrudge the PH for wanting to be paid for a none shooting day.
Would you work a day for FREE.
Bob
I think you are looking at it differently. I’ve never booked a package hunt. I only book day rate + trophy fee hunts. If I book 10 days it means 10 hunting days with a travel day either end, usually a transport fee but never a day rate charge. I see packages advertise 10 days but actually only mean 8 hunting days. I think it’s a bit deceptive.

I think you are looking at it differently. I’ve never booked a package hunt. I only book day rate + trophy fee hunts. If I book 10 days it means 10 hunting days with a travel day either end, usually a transport fee but never a day rate charge. I see packages advertise 10 days but actually only mean 8 hunting days. I think it’s a bit deceptive.

Exactly. Last year I took a charter to the hunt, and a drive back with the consession manager who was rotating back to Harare and I did pay a transport fee. The PH was not involved, as a matter of fact he was off hunting with the next client.

This year I am chartering both ways.

I booked my hunt based on researching the company and finding good but no bad and booking through a reputable agent. It was a simple cull hunt in Namibia so I didn't need to research whether they actually had 60" kudu or 40"+ buffalo available.

Now that being said, this is what put me off of hunting with them again and why I won't recommend them. The "all inclusive" hunt suddenly had an extra $450 charge on the last night due to the need to drive to Windhoek for a covid test. This was especially frustrating because I was already paying a fee to hunt that day and we were only able to get out during the afternoon due to the travel. Upon returning home and discussing this with the booking agent he told me not to pay it but of course I already had that night with a credit card. I feel bad because I got my money back but I'm not sure who the money actually came from, agent or hunting company.

I also learned that after being asked by my PH what was on my animal to hunt list which there never was a list and I told him so, I supposedly proclaimed that I expected to hunt one of everything. This I NEVER said. They were trying to save face due to poor animal numbers and piss poor communication between booking agent and themselves. I showed the farm owners wife the ad the booking agent posted and she said herself that it shouldn't have been worded the way it was and was largely just incorrect.

So in short, don't be shady and don't lie about me. I'm young, not loaded with $$$ and I'm paying for everything myself. I will remember these things.

Also, like others have said, don't sit around speaking a foreign language for extended periods of time. In this case German.

My first overseas hunt was with a NZ guide. Wasn't planning on hunting...was attending a shooting competition. Had always wondered about hunting in NZ and by chance I saw his tiny advertisement in a hunting magazine and gave him a call just to get an idea of price. Liked the bloke I was talking to and price seemed reasonable...so I booked a 3 day small game hunt. Had a great time been back probably 4 more times and now consider him a friend.

My first 2 hunts were with an outfitter that my NZ mate had hunted with. Had a great time in Alaska. Third hunt to Alaska was also via personal recommendations through a bloke that I met whilst hunting in Alaska. That hunt was also great.

So I guess I've been lucky. But a good feeling/ vibe of the situation whilst talking/meeting and or a recommendation from a friend is priceless.

I really don't care what the accommadtion looks like. So long as I have a dry warm bed to sleep in and I'd rather a tent than a lodge. Food ...so long as it's edible and there is enough to go around. I've even cooked on occasions and often do the dishes. Might sound strange but I'm there for the experience of the hunt and like to pretend that I'm hunting like a local. But...if the guide says, get out of the way, sit down, shut-up and eat ...then I obey.

I still heaven;t got to Africa. It's a covid thing. Finally getting to Canada next year for my long delayed moose hunt. Then Africa 2023 or 2024. Hopefully a non-trophy, non exportable mature bull elephant hunt but, that will depending on the Dollar. If not than a buff hunt...old mature animal, don't care if horns are broken or average...I just want a fair dinkum hunt.

And finally, I don't know if this is the norm....but I see it enough on Youtube. When I get to shoot my elephant I don't want every other barstard standing around to shoot as well. But having said that....the PH is free to fire away if I stuff up the shot. But I don't want the PH shooting an insurance shot.

Talk about backup wit your PH, his main concern is to keep everyone safe, if trying a brain shot you will know instantly if you made a good shot but if it’s a shoulder shot not so much and he will probably shoot. If the ground is open enough you may see a lung shot elephant blowing blood after 100 yards or so but you can’t count on that. I would guess most elephant in today’s Africa are shot in THICK Jess at 30 yards or less.

I dont have much time to write as I'm packing for a vacation, but...

I would not put a specific order to these
1. Price/Value. Some packages are complete garbage and other are great

2. Animals must be born on property

3. Size of single properties - i want very large

4. Strong preference to being the only party. If other hunters start in with their BS, I am not afraid to grab a plate and eat in my room.

5. Strong preference to no tracker unless needed - just 2 of us

6. Have big 5 photo day trips without having to relocate

7. Reputation of outfitter and ph personality

8. Promptness of communication

Not a show stopper for me but surely a pet peeve is exorbitant fees for observer. I see 200 to 300 $US per day for my wife who accompanies me on every safari, I usually keep looking. She’s in the same bed and believe me, not that big an eater. 10 day safari and you wanna charge me $2000 extra for the pleasure of her company? No thanks. Laundry ain’t that expensive

Not a show stopper for me but surely a pet peeve is exorbitant fees for observer. I see 200 to 300 $US per day for my wife who accompanies me on every safari, I usually keep looking. She’s in the same bed and believe me, not that big an eater. 10 day safari and you wanna charge me $2000 extra for the pleasure of her company? No thanks. Laundry ain’t that expensive

Actually, the European and African standard for the most part is per person for lodging. I am paying the double amount for the glamping portion of my trip because of my girlfriend.

Keeping my response simple.
I'm a bowhunter and I don't make a lot of money, so these are my bullet points for determining my next PH.

In no particular order.
Important Questions:
  • PH has to be a seasoned bowhunter
  • Size of property we will be hunting
    • High fence, no fence?
  • Bow stands
    • What type?
    • How many?
    • How big?
    • Will we be shooting from the standing or sitting position
      • Distance to expect the average shot to be from the blind?
    • Opportunities for spot and stalk
    • Are they positioned correctly for the various winds we may encounter?
    • Pictures of the stands is a bonus
  • Day Rate
    • I'm already flying half way around the world, hunt for 10-14 days
      • Cheaper the day rate, the longer I'll stay
  • Animal Prices
    • Just fair prices is all I ask for.
  • Bucket list of animals discussed in advance with the PH
    • Quantity of those animals, more so than quality
  • Number of people in camp while I am there?
    • To date, it has been me and my daughter only in camp with our PH
Not as important:
  • Lodging
    • I just need a bed and a shower
  • Fancy food
    • Just three meals a day that are edible
      • But we have to have Biltong in the blind. No biltong, you might as well stay at the lodge.
  • Day Spa
Turn offs:
  • The truck dropping off a bale of alfalfa into the hay rack everyday as the animals are standing in the road waiting for it to arrive.
I should have added. Tracking dogs are a huge bonus and worth their weight in gold. Yes, great trackers come on two legs for sure, but a four legged tracker will run most wounded animals down and bring them to bay. I know, there are some animals, such as zebra, that will not bay, but there are more that will than those that won't. The four legged ones are fast and can get the job done. I won't say it is a mandatory requirement, but it will help put one PH up over another PH that doesn't use dogs. Just my opinion.

Talk about backup wit your PH, his main concern is to keep everyone safe, if trying a brain shot you will know instantly if you made a good shot but if it’s a shoulder shot not so much and he will probably shoot. If the ground is open enough you may see a lung shot elephant blowing blood after 100 yards or so but you can’t count on that. I would guess most elephant in today’s Africa are shot in THICK Jess at 30 yards or less.
I agree that I’ll need to talk to the PH about this. On my brown bear hunts I’ve had the same discussions…..if they feel that I’ve stuffed up or that the need to shoot for safely reasons then go right ahead. But I emphasise that if I’ve got things under control then please do not waste ammunition.

I dont have much time to write as I'm packing for a vacation, but...

I would not put a specific order to these
1. Price/Value. Some packages are complete garbage and other are great

2. Animals must be born on property

3. Size of single properties - i want very large

4. Strong preference to being the only party. If other hunters start in with their BS, I am not afraid to grab a plate and eat in my room.

5. Strong preference to no tracker unless needed - just 2 of us

6. Have big 5 photo day trips without having to relocate

7. Reputation of outfitter and ph personality

8. Promptness of communication

I’ve never been on an African hunt with no tracker. I assume you’re not hunting elephant or buffalo? In the Kalahari, watching the bushmen at work is one of the highlights.

I’ve never been on an African hunt with no tracker. I assume you’re not hunting elephant or buffalo? In the Kalahari, watching the bushmen at work is one of the highlights.
Yeah, last year at Dande we tracked for hours going up and down ridges. Without the 3rd tracker that stayed with the car driving to the place we ended up it would have been a mess. One time we actually walked a mile or so to the nearest road in the Jess in the dark, without the guy coming with the car it would have been several miles of backtracking. Interestingly I was the only one with a light as I had packed a headband light in my pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghdhdfgsdf

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well