What is your success rate as a client hunting leopards?

I’m one for three. My first hunt was with dogs in Zimbabwe in 2008. My buddy was also hunting leopard with dogs (we each had our own PH) and he got his on the third day. I on the other hand, only saw two females treed. Though, I felt like I had an awesome experience. My next hunt was in Namibia for a baited hunt in 2018. A couple months before the hunt the outfitter called and said his area was experiencing a terrible drought and asked if I could postpone my hunt for a year. He thought less than a 10% chance to get a leopard. So I postponed and arrived in 2019. I was able to get my Dik-DIK but never had a cat on bait. The Namibian outfitter invited me back but COVID messed up plans and I was not able to go back until 2022. On the 4th sit, the cat was on the bait and after 34 days of leopard hunting I had my cat. This is the only wild male leopard I have ever seen and within seconds of it being on bait was dead right next to the bait (no hyenas or lions in the area so bait was on the ground fastened to a tree). I’m definitely thinking about another leopard hunt. I mostly likely would like a baited hunt. Would love to see a leopard in a tree on bait.
I seem to recall reading that Craig Boddington spent 30+ days hunting leopard before he got his first one.

I seem to recall reading that Craig Boddington spent 30+ days hunting leopard before he got his first one.
Actually over 70 days for Craig. I verified that when I was with him in July.

Great topic @Green Chile I always appreciate your posts.

I have hunted two leopards myself, one with my wife and one each with my two daughters. All were 100% successful. I have always done my research on the area and PH, here are the areas and dates;

1986 Gwaai Valley, Zimbabwe
1996 Luangwa Valley, Zambia
2007 Kilwa, Tanzania
2022 Luangwa Valley, Zambia
2022 Bushmanland, Namibia

Also, consulted a few folks over the years and all were successful.

John Ed

Thanks for posting John. I was hoping to hear from you. That's amazing...5 for 5...4 different hunters...4 different locations in 4 countries.

There are some of you that have been extremely successful multiple times...we can learn from all of it.

My experience boiled down is that I heavily researched for a future leopard hunt but jumped on a cancellation that was outside of that research. It was a very successful hunt for everything BUT leopard even though I learned a LOT about leopard hunting that was valuable to me. I need to stay focused on the research and data that provides. I kept tabs on several cancellation hunts last year and the success rates seemed lower on cats. Many operators take cats and with cats, anything can happen...but not very many take them over 80% consistently.

Alister Norton - Makasa in Zambia. 2/2 for leopard and 1/1 for lion. Cat whisperer.
Their website might be down. I couldn't find anything active including FB.

That doesn't open for me? That's what I tried before on a web search.

What was the reason for turning down that tom?

There is nothing wrong with a 6'8" tom but I was looking for one that was larger. (the track was good size, just not the size of the leopard) It was also early in a long hunt. On that hunt in Rungwa, three of us probably had 35-40 baits up (lion and leopard) and probably 20 of them had been hit by leopards so it was easier to be picky. Picking an area with a dense leopard population makes hunting leopard so much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hb88pizza

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with