What is your success rate as a client hunting leopards?

Green Chile

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
This question isn't directed to the outfitters and PHs on the forum but you can answer of course. I'm asking this of the regular forum member who is a client in Africa. If you have hunted leopard, how many times have you gone and what is your success rate? There are many factors but primary would be going to a good area with an experienced cat PH.

So far, this is the one species that has eluded me in several ways. 20 odd years ago, there were permits in RSA for leopards. I booked a hunt and the permit never came through. So old Spots skunked me before I even got on the plane! Most recently, I did a 2 week hunt last year (cancellation hunt actually) in Zim for a cattle killing leopard specifically. Hunt report was posted here...we found him but couldn't keep him on bait...passed up on female cat obviously and also a young adult male. So I'm zero on success even though I have hunted with experienced PHs. Curious about the rest of you? I know some are successful very early in their leopard hunting but there are many stories of multiple attempts to take 1 leopard...and some of you have taken multiple leopards.

I have done a total of one leopard hunt. Well technically it was my wife’s. But I was sentenced to sit the blinds also.

We had 3 good males on bait throughout the 2 week hunt. It was a daylight only area. So we struggled with cats showing in daylight while we were in the blind.

The PH and crew worked their tails off. Building 4 different blinds on 8 baits. Driving hundreds of miles baiting.

My wife missed her cat on the last afternoon of a 15 day hunt. Luckily a clean miss.

I learned that leopard hunting is not my thing. My wife enjoyed it though. And may want to hunt them again

I prefer the walking/ tracking hunts

Third evening of first safari sixteen years ago. PG hunt with a leopard option for a very reasonable trophy fee. :E Shrug:

Thanks Jay for responding. You had a great hunt report on that experience. I think it's quite valuable that you learned that kind of hunting isn't your thing. I do enjoy the mental side of it...trying to get a cat to stand where and when you want it to...very challenging skillset AND needs some luck.

This question isn't directed to the outfitters and PHs on the forum but you can answer of course. I'm asking this of the regular forum member who is a client in Africa. If you have hunted leopard, how many times have you gone and what is your success rate? There are many factors but primary would be going to a good area with an experienced cat PH.

So far, this is the one species that has eluded me in several ways. 20 odd years ago, there were permits in RSA for leopards. I booked a hunt and the permit never came through. So old Spots skunked me before I even got on the plane! Most recently, I did a 2 week hunt last year (cancellation hunt actually) in Zim for a cattle killing leopard specifically. Hunt report was posted here...we found him but couldn't keep him on bait...passed up on female cat obviously and also a young adult male. So I'm zero on success even though I have hunted with experienced PHs. Curious about the rest of you? I know some are successful very early in their leopard hunting but there are many stories of multiple attempts to take 1 leopard...and some of you have taken multiple leopards.
@Green Chile - it’s a good question and I’m interested in the responses you get, although it will only be a random sample and with many variables. For Me, a Leopard would be my number one priority in Africa but I hesitate for several reasons:
1). I’m picky and would not be satisfied with a small or borderline average cat, would rather “pass” as it sounds like You did on a small male. Therefore my own unrealistic expectations might add to my low chance for success or taking an animal I would not be happy with.
2). 14 days would be the minimum length hunt I would book (I don’t want to be rushed) and that’s a lot of time in a blind Day-Night that could be spent hunting other game with a higher chance of success. I would have to be willing to forgo many other animals for the “chance” at a Leopard…so I question my own patience & discipline??
3). I’ve made three (3) Mountain Lion Hunts in U.S and BC, all with top Outfitters with high success rates and large Cats — only my hunting partner took a Cat on our 2nd trip and that taught Me —- Hunt Cats alone, they’re aren’t enough good ones to expect to tree Two on one 10 day hunt. Therefore I expect Leopard to be an even lower success rate for a “good” Tom.

Third evening of first safari sixteen years ago. PG hunt with a leopard option for a very reasonable trophy fee. :E Shrug:
One and done is nice! I was hoping for that myself. Any interest in going for another cat?

@Green Chile - it’s a good question and I’m interested in the responses you get, although it will only be a random sample and with many variables. For Me, a Leopard would be my number one priority in Africa but I hesitate for several reasons:
1). I’m picky and would not be satisfied with a small or borderline average cat, would rather “pass” as it sounds like You did on a small male. Therefore my own unrealistic expectations might add to my low chance for success or taking an animal I would not be happy with.
2). 14 days would be the minimum length hunt I would book (I don’t want to be rushed) and that’s a lot of time in a blind Day-Night that could be spent hunting other game with a higher chance of success. I would have to be willing to forgo many other animals for the “chance” at a Leopard…so I question my own patience & discipline??
3). I’ve made three (3) Mountain Lion Hunts in U.S and BC, all with top Outfitters with high success rates and large Cats — only my hunting partner took a Cat on our 2nd trip and that taught Me —- Hunt Cats alone, they’re aren’t enough good ones to expect to tree Two on one 10 day hunt. Therefore I expect Leopard to be an even lower success rate for a “good” Tom.
Interesting that you start your reply with that...I had a hard time thinking of how I even wanted to phrase the question...do I use polling questions...or just get replies. So many variables to this one subject!

Yes, I did pass up this cat, which might be a trophy in some areas. I don't regret that decision.
WGI_0001.JPG

I hunted mountain lions 2x to get one. First time, a blizzard shut down the middle of the country and there was no tracking. We never even let the dogs out on a track even though we hunted about 15 hours a day for a week. Second trip was successful but was such a tough hunt that it fried my legs for a week. Guide and I both threw up climbing out of the canyon. Truly nasty and hard won. That one was with a revolver. Cats for me have been tough! I posted this hunt report as well. Nothing easy for my efforts.
IMG_1269.jpeg

Started off with a boring day at the office scrolling through this forum. Saw a great deal for a leopard hunt, messaged Wayne dates worked. Within in a month I was on a plane for my 2nd Africa trip. Day 3 sat on a bait (first time in a blind) and that is all she wrote.

IMG_6379.jpg

Wow...that's certainly unusual...first night in a blind...fantastic luck.

I got my leopard on my second safari in Namibia in 2011. It was the most mentally challenging hunt I’ve ever done. I got my cat on the 4th sit in the blind.

I’ve been on 2 mountian lion hunts in Utah. Once in 2013 and again last year. Both with very reputable and well thought of cat outfitters. Never even out the dogs out on either trip. I may be a glutton for punishment but will be trying again this winter.

50%.

Both leopard hunts were in Zimbabwe, in National Parks areas (so no night hunting). In the first, we had leopard on baits but were unable to get them to come during shooting hours and in fact never saw one. But spent a lot of time driving from bait to bait and sitting in blinds.

The second hunt was in the same area two years later (Matetsi Unit 2). Had a leopard on bait within a few days, sat twice, and got him on the second sitting at about 6:20 pm - last shooting likely around 6:30 then. Nice cat. By the time the dipped and packed skin made it to Canada, much of the skin was rotted and unusable. My taxidermist was able to get a head mount out of it (not full shoulder), but had to replace the ears with a pair from a cougar! I also got a hat band and a tail!

Going back in 2025 to see if I can connect again and get a decent skin this time.

Wow...that's terrible. I can NOT imagine what that feels like to finally get one and the trophy skin is destroyed. Talk about a kick to the nuts. Big respect for going back again!

Also, good point on one of the many variables. How many have hunted at night vs day time only? My hunt last year was in an area that allowed night hunting. We had thermals and lights and still didn't get one. By the way, my two PHs had over 200 cats between them and they were gutted by not getting this one we chased. It was tough mentally. I think they were more upset than I was. I kept a strong face to the end hoping for a last minute chance but they were very disappointed.

One and done is nice! I was hoping for that myself. Any interest in going for another cat?
I have toyed with it from time to time. Mine was a young animal that had killed a calf. We could have hunted it or let the rancher lace it with strychnine. We did the right thing, and I am very happy with him. That said, if I went back it would be to hunt a cat with Nick Nolte again. We have become close to he and Isabel over the years and that would be the reason regardless of the cat's size.

That's excellent success...75% on 4 hunts. Fantastic. Any other wisdom you could share with us on your success? Were those night or day hunts only?

That's excellent success...75% on 4 hunts. Fantastic. Any other wisdom you could share with us on your success? Were those night or day hunts only?
I'll add one. Pick the right outfit. Nolte, for instance, runs a 90 + % success rate (hunter fired shot) in Namibia on baited cats and has been in the business for over two decades.

Great point...anyone can get lucky but to repeat it over and over at 90% is something else. By the way, I reached out to Nolte after hearing your story months ago and didn't get a response. Maybe he's just booked up but let me know if you think I should contact him by a certain means. I went through his website email.

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0009.jpeg

One for one on both leopard and mountain lion hunts with hounds
- Botswana & the State of Utah, respectively. I grew up hunting with hounds for deer so I really enjoy all types of hunting with dogs (even bongo).

I would like to attempt to hunt mountain lions and bobcats DIY by calling them in with an electronic caller soon and I would also like to return to Africa to hunt leopard over bait within the next few years. Good luck to all with the cat hunting. Very fun, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

You are the first I've heard to have 1 for 1 success on both leopard and mountain lion. Wow. Is there a species you don't have luck on? I think if you hunt long enough you tend to find something that doesn't click like the rest of it. For me, it's been cats while I have pretty good success on most everything else so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrankieGom

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!