What is your preferred 6.5/.264?

I know what you mean about those longer shots in southern Africa. Most people here will say your shots will be closer than 150 meters, but you'll almost certainly be offered a 350 meter shot at some point and usually it will be offered because the animal is a finer specimen than you've seen up to then, so it is very tempting to take the shot. One choice you have at that point is simply not to take the shot. Alternatively zero your rifle for a maximum point blank range for a 4" target, or memorize holdover figures.

Not taking the shot is always an option, and the original thought was to extend that maximum point blank range so you didn't need to worry about having something memorized during a hunt- as long as you stayed within the limits of your setup and personal capabilities. That being said, if you get some thing set up for 400yds, you will end up seeing stuff at 500 and then want something more, etc, etc...lol.

I went back to your original post and you want something to go along with your .300 H&H and .375 H&H. These metrics seem not quite right in that regard to my mind. Did the English make anything in that caliber? I've heard of the .256 Gibbs Magnum but I imagine that is too rare. Maybe switch to the 7mm and go with a .275 H&H? Wikipedia says this send a 160 grain bullet downrange at 2700 fps.

I love my 6,5 Creedmore, shooting factory ammo Corelokt 140g.
Shoots spot on... Haven't tried out to 350m yet...

I don’t believe I follow that. For all practical modern purposes I can chamber a 6.5x57 in anything I can chamber the 6.5x55. If he is building a rifle, he can have either one.

If looking for a true 400 meter rifle to use on game rather than paper in a "classic" 6.5, then probably the .264 Win Mag is the best choice. But you will need that great long barrel making it the equivalent of dragging around a .300 Win/ultra/wby Mag which would be a better 400 meter choice in the first place. A "classic" 6.5 bolt action was created around the idea of a lightweight stalking rifle - with emphasis on stalking. 6.5x54 was optimized for a heavy for caliber bullet in the petit Mannlicher Schoenauer. Like the 30-06, the Swede was obviously a military development that was found to perform brilliantly on game in repurposed M94/96/38 rifles and newly built sporting arms. The 6.5x57 was created from the 7x57 to form the basis of a number of continental stalking and alpine rifles. All work perfectly in the role for which they were created. But none are optimised for .400 meter shots - but few hunting rifles of any caliber really are.

Maybe my point was not well made. When I said " As I do. One of the older cartridges that still just plain works but the criteria in the OP limits the choice to the lager cased 6,5's (unfortunately) "

I was meaning that the 6.5x57 and 55 are wonderful old (classic) cartridges and easily capable of hunting to that distance but the original post said
" I had originally planned to do the 6.5x55 but I know I want to shoot the 156gr bullets, so I'm thinking something I can push a little faster for better trajectory."
So in light of that while I love my 6.5x57 (and by extension the x55 and the x 54 ) but the original post was for a faster 156gn bullet which would require the larger cased 6.5 than our classic standards.

Have a look at this on the 156gn berger and with a very little effort to put trajectory data on your rifle or scope it puts the classic 6.5x57, and or x55 back on the table so you can have a light (rifle and recoil) for hill or plains hunting where target distances may stretch out to your 400 yd

There can only be one....... 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer!

Come to the dark side of the force..... we also have cookies/cartridges!

:sneaky:

HW

38214511kx.jpg

Attachments

• 38214511kx.jpg
    38214511kx.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 72
Before I bought my 6.5x55 I was put off a bit hearing about the "loopy" trajectory but in reality it's not that bad in fact it's nothing to worry about. A quick look on strelok pro shows a 6.5x55 140gr norma factory load with a 200 yard zero strikes 24.8 inches low and a 264 win mag 140gr winchester factory load with a 200 yard zero strikes 20.3 inches low, within 3 and a half inches at 400 yards. In field conditions when the blood pressure is up your not going to see much difference at 400 yards, just more noise and more recoil.

Screenshot_20200404-183550_Strelok Pro.jpg
Screenshot_20200404-183503_Strelok Pro.jpg

Some options, each with their own vagaries, .260 Remington. My favorite is the 6.5x47 Lapua. It's easy on barrels and super accurate.
I agree! The 6.5x47 Lapua is the most accurate rifle I have owned. It just seems so easy to find an accurate load. It routinely shoots 1/2 moa or better. I realize it may be a fluke, but I shot a 300 yard 3-shot group of .3xx inches, covered it with a dime. Even old, blind squirrels get an acorn sometimes!

20190319_115217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't expect to understand the full potential of the old 264 WM by looking in a new reloading manual. I haven't seen a decent load for this cartridge since the 1978 Hornady manual. The new Nosler Manual, while a fine compendium for most things, underloads the Winny to make their 26 Nosler look even better. It is a bigger cartridge, but come on! Loads for the Winchester include 4064 powder and the like, for the Nosler....with 2" longer bbl, they have Re 30 and 33. (if you reload a lot, you understand this well) I have shot a ton (many) with the 264 using a cheap Hornady 129 grain Spirepoints at 3368FPS...H4831 and H870 were required in those days...before range finder and ballistic turret...its effect on muleys can only be described as spectacular.........FWB

From another forum that I also participate on:
I would do the .264 wm without hesitation. Have worked the 156 up to around 3200 fps max using Retumbo, settled on a light load of around 3070 fps, very mild. 26" barrel using soft federal brass, and a SAAMI throat that is WAY too short for optimum seating, the bullet is way in the powder column. Get some ADG brass and you will have no issues at all hitting 3100, and very likely get 3200 fps.

So drop to a 24 inch barrel and plan on a loss of 25-35 fps/inch. That would equate to 50-70 FPS. That still keeps you OVER 3000 fps with the Berger 156. That will be a very flat shooting combination. There are several other cartridges out there that will reach that level. This is your best choice in a traditional cartridge IMHO.
Bruce

From another forum that I also participate on:
I would do the .264 wm without hesitation. Have worked the 156 up to around 3200 fps max using Retumbo, settled on a light load of around 3070 fps, very mild. 26" barrel using soft federal brass, and a SAAMI throat that is WAY too short for optimum seating, the bullet is way in the powder column. Get some ADG brass and you will have no issues at all hitting 3100, and very likely get 3200 fps.

So drop to a 24 inch barrel and plan on a loss of 25-35 fps/inch. That would equate to 50-70 FPS. That still keeps you OVER 3000 fps with the Berger 156. That will be a very flat shooting combination. There are several other cartridges out there that will reach that level. This is your best choice in a traditional cartridge IMHO.
Bruce
yes but is the berger bullet worth using?
for that weight bullet you are usually looking for serious penetration on bigger game and that bullet may well not have it, particularly at closer ranges.
I t would be a good long range TARGET bullet in the wind,
bruce.

yes but is the berger bullet worth using?
for that weight bullet you are usually looking for serious penetration on bigger game and that bullet may well not have it, particularly at closer ranges.
I t would be a good long range TARGET bullet in the wind,
bruce.
The 156gr 6.5 berger bullet is a hunting bullet

that is what berger says.
is it wise to believe marketing statements.?
especially when sometimes those making them would sell their own starving grandmother a shit sandwich.
either that or they do not know what they are talking about.
bruce.

"Not taking the shot is always an option"..........Albert Grant
Thank You!...many young people seem unaware of this fact.
"There was just no way to get any closer, we had to take the shot".....have read that many, many times...unless you're a Navy Seal, this is nonsense.....Well stated, and a good reminder; These are not always just targets and trophies..........FWB

Albert GRANT.
Here in OZ you can get a lovely 6.5X55 in a LEFT HAND TIKKA. Probably no use to you tho.
Cheers mate Bob
I actually have one saved in my watch list on GB! If I decide to go with the 6.5x55 in the end, it will likely be that rifle I go with. Only issue will be what their twist rate is...

If you want classic caliber and higher velocity go with the 6.5x65 or 68s or 264WM. Otherwise there are other choices, my 6.5-300Wby with 127LXR with a 300 zero has 7 inches of drop at 400yds. I also have a 6.5-284 Norma. It's a delightful caliber and a phenomenal elk slayer with 140gr Bergers. It also shoots 156gr Norma factory ammo at around 2850 fps and the same with 160gr Woodleigh PP. Blaser has all of those listed above except the .264WM and is fully ambidextrous left or right handed. Something to think about. Also Lapua brass is the way to go with the 6.5-284. Second would be Norma IMO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bensonchem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?