What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

I carry a buck 110 on my hip and a case trapper in my pocket every day of the world. I also carry a lighter, but I don’t smoke. $300 cash at least, a pair of ear plugs, and my carmex.
I don’t guess Africa would be any different for me.
My dad carries a pair of 8” slip joint pliers, a two ended 1/2 and 9/16 wrench. A 7/16, 10mm. Sometimes mini vise grips. And one VERY dull pocket knife. But farmers do like to be prepared.
Wyatt, You are “prepared”, like that you carry “two” knives and would hunt with someone like you anytime —- if I lose my knife, know I can borrow yours !!

When I was a teen, I read a quote from industrialist George Pullman where he explained why he always carried a $100 bill. He said that if he ever was in a train accident and was buried he would extend his hand with the bill in it in order to get the rescuers' attention.

In other words, for emergencies. Since then, I always carry the aforementioned $100 bill, adjusted for inflation, and it sure has come handy.

It is not the only thing I carry when leaving the house every day.

full
TANKS, we think alike. Although if I’m ever pinned underneath a “Train” I think my Screaming & Crying like a Woman —— will get the Rescuers attention !!

@Smitty, sentimental is not always logical. I know that well enough. The Springfield rifle Dad built for me goes to Africa. It would be much easier to rent the lodge's 30-06 CZ Ebony Edition. But I want him to go along. Dad always carried a Barlow pocket knife. Last I knew that knife was in the top drawer of his dresser. None of his four boys carried knives though we all worked with our hands, so no one claimed it when Dad passed in '99. Someone should get it. I'll call my brother tonight. The 1930s KaBar sheath knife from ebay I use for hunting today is identical to Dad's that was stolen from the pickup back in the 80s when I was elk hunting. I guess I use it and the rifle to carry his memory with me. There's certainly "better" equipment I could buy. In fact, if I didn't bring Dad's rifle with me to Africa, I might consider taking that knife. But I wouldn't wear it because I don't wear it when I hunt with it here. At least the rifle is something of his I can actually use when I'm on safari. The knife would probably just be along for the sentimental ride. And because it was never his anyway, the sentimentality is, relatively speaking, superficial.

For those who wish to build a sentimental relationship with a knife that's hunted Africa with them, I can appreciate that "reason" ... not that a reason is prerequisite. It's not. In fact, a knife might be a more practical memento to leave behind. My grandson may not choose to take up hunting. He might even become a vegan (perish the thought). My trophies, even my guns, may not be practical heirlooms when I'm gone, but there will always be an heir who can use a good knife ... even if it's just for chopping broccoli.

If I think so little of a person that I feel the need for monatary compensation to offer assistance and you are in an area where your options are limited enough so that you have to accept my condition of compensation. One it’s definitely going to be in a area with little or no digital/cellular coverage and two I would be unlikely to take your word that you are willing and able to make good on your offer once back to civilization.
If I provide assistance to someone in need, I expect no gratuity ... and indeed I will not accept one. That is the way I was brought up. The person who assists me can accept a promise to reward him when internet is available. Anyone who gets indignant about the delay doesn't deserve compensation ... but will receive it anyway ... at my convenience. Since COVID I stopped carrying any cash at all (some cash goes with me to Africa for tips but I don't carry it except during transit there). Eating out I pay with card and all portable machines now have the option to add a tip. Carrying around a hundred dollar bill had a lot more utility in Pullman's day when there were no debit cards and he rode to work in a carriage or behind a steam locomotive. Anyway I certainly do not look on that guy as any kind of role model. Google "Pullman Strike."

If I provide assistance to someone in need, I expect no gratuity ... and indeed I will not accept one. That is the way I was brought up. The person who assists me can accept a promise to reward him when internet is available. Anyone who gets indignant about the delay doesn't deserve compensation ... but will receive it anyway ... at my convenience. Since COVID I stopped carrying any cash at all (some cash goes with me to Africa for tips but I don't carry it except during transit there). Eating out I pay with card and all portable machines now have the option to add a tip. Carrying around a hundred dollar bill had a lot more utility in Pullman's day when there were no debit cards and he rode to work in a carriage or behind a steam locomotive. Anyway I certainly do not look on that guy as any kind of role model. Google "Pullman Strike."
ONTARIO HUNTER - while YOU would Not expect or accept any monetary compensation for helping someone - and many people on this Forum would also help others for free - because it’t “the right thing to do”….there are others in this World that might not be as nice. Citing how you can “eating out” and pay with a credit card or access a cash machine is irrelevant and a poor examaple for this discussion. In any type of emergency situation cash “could” be helpful and would almost Never make things worse. “Carrying a $100 bill” during “Pullman Days” - ?? A $100 cash (5/20s or 10/10s etc..) is still welcome by “most”. My scenario was in a “what if” situation where you are unable to access technology and if having some “cash” would be helpful? You are reluctant to even acknowledge there are times that “might” be the case. SO, please let me know circumstances where having some extra cash$$ on you is detrimental ? I know you will come up with something, you have to but i do like your examples as they get “creative” and well off the beaten path - I expect you are resourseful and can get out of some tight spots on your own when needed…. Disappointed that someone born after 1990 would rely so heavily on “technology” - next you’ll be attending a Taylor Swift concert !!

ONTARIO HUNTER - while YOU would Not expect or accept any monetary compensation for helping someone - and many people on this Forum would also help others for free - because it’t “the right thing to do”….there are others in this World that might not be as nice. Citing how you can “eating out” and pay with a credit card or access a cash machine is irrelevant and a poor examaple for this discussion. In any type of emergency situation cash “could” be helpful and would almost Never make things worse. “Carrying a $100 bill” during “Pullman Days” - ?? A $100 cash (5/20s or 10/10s etc..) is still welcome by “most”. My scenario was in a “what if” situation where you are unable to access technology and if having some “cash” would be helpful? You are reluctant to even acknowledge there are times that “might” be the case. SO, please let me know circumstances where having some extra cash$$ on you is detrimental ? I know you will come up with something, you have to but i do like your examples as they get “creative” and well off the beaten path - I expect you are resourseful and can get out of some tight spots on your own when needed…. Disappointed that someone born after 1990 would rely so heavily on “technology” - next you’ll be attending a Taylor Swift concert !!
:D I was born forty years before 1990.

If I have to buy some Good Samaritan's assistance during an emergency, I'm not sure I would trust that assistance to be helpful. Keep on driving down the road, pal.

Carrying Canadian cash is detrimental because the slippery stuff has a way of climbing out of my pocket ... constantly. Go to the bank and ask for a hundred dollars Canadian, carry it around in your pocket for a week, and you'll see what I mean. Using cards is much better for the economy too. It moves money faster. And the faster money moves, the more productive the economy. For example, few years back Canada did the wise thing and eliminated pennies. Made sense. Costs like seven cents to make each penny and people threw them away like they were paper cups. Everything is still dollars and cents up here. If the customer pays cash, the price is rounded off to nearest nickel. Pay with card and it's the exact amount. So people were encouraged to use cards. Great. Keep the currency moving and working instead of home in a jar or laying useless on the curb.

I don't care for Taylor Swift ... but I'm not stuck in Frank Sinatra mode either.

In a similar light as a knife, my happiest days financially were when I was financially free enough to keep 5-figures in cash in my truck. That was a substantial, substantial amount of money at that time and my earnings were a lot less. I've activated that cash several times in an instant moment of need and it paid a lot of dividends. With my current financial obligations I cannot wield that kind of hard cash on hand anymore, but that cash repository had completely changed my financial position several times. Hard cash in an instant is when you can find things for ten cents on the dollar. That could be fine arms, it could be a vehicle, it could be a just about anything. Oh, and it certainly solved many a flat tire and blown transmission on hunting trips in remote areas too. The cash discount is a real thing, especially if your offer is cash and no receipt. I seem to recall about six months ago paying $75k in cash for a $150k in roofing.

Knife. Pen. Lighter. Cash. Flashlight. Business Cards. Jumper Cables. Tow rope. ....all the kinda things a man should have on him when the feces hits the propellor.

Folks this was supposed to be a knife thread more precisely advantages of a long knife over a utility tool in the wilds of the dark continent. I have received more than my fair share of opinions so interesting to see how the topic has moved in a tangent...

Folks this was supposed to be a knife thread more precisely advantages of a long knife over a utility tool in the wilds of the dark continent. I have received more than my fair share of opinions so interesting to see how the topic has moved in a tangent...

Indeed. A right proper thread jacking you've encountered. Have we drained the legitimate topic at hand or do you have additional questions about knives for Africa? A pity VonGruff is no longer on this forum, he was profoundly wise on the topics of knives and he makes ideal small knives for practical hunting purposes.

:D I was born forty years before 1990.

If I have to buy some Good Samaritan's assistance during an emergency, I'm not sure I would trust that assistance to be helpful. Keep on driving down the road, pal.

Carrying Canadian cash is detrimental because the slippery stuff has a way of climbing out of my pocket ... constantly. Go to the bank and ask for a hundred dollars Canadian, carry it around in your pocket for a week, and you'll see what I mean. Using cards is much better for the economy too. It moves money faster. And the faster money moves, the more productive the economy. For example, few years back Canada did the wise thing and eliminated pennies. Made sense. Costs like seven cents to make each penny and people threw them away like they were paper cups. Everything is still dollars and cents up here. If the customer pays cash, the price is rounded off to nearest nickel. Pay with card and it's the exact amount. So people were encouraged to use cards. Great. Keep the currency moving and working instead of home in a jar or laying useless on the curb.

I don't care for Taylor Swift ... but I'm not stuck in Frank Sinatra mode either.
Ontario, I‘ve got “responses” but there’s no point as You are as set in your ways as concrete …as most of us Old Guys are. Watch the Super Bowl this Sunday, it’s a lot like your Grey Cup only with better athletes that are even more over paid, similar to Hockey only the score is usually higher then “1” at the end…and of course Canadians could never match the arrest & conviction records of our PROS…

This story may answer the question of what is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari and why it should have at least a 6 inch blade.

Wish I could afford a Benchmade? My retired military son in law has several but then the military paid for his. FINE knives!
You should have asked him before he retired. Active duty has at least %30 discount with Benchmade.

As I predicted... next will be hand to hand knife fighting lolol...

You should have asked him before he retired. Active duty has at least %30 discount with Benchmade.

he can still get a pretty decent discount with his veterans status...

benchmade has a discount program through govx.. qualified members get 25% off MSRP..

Indeed. A right proper thread jacking you've encountered. Have we drained the legitimate topic at hand or do you have additional questions about knives for Africa? A pity VonGruff is no longer on this forum, he was profoundly wise on the topics of knives and he makes ideal small knives for practical hunting purposes.
And mid-size for no less useful but broader application. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lopehunter

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?