What is the craziest lengths you have went to in order to pay for a hunt?

I agree I am getting shoulder mounts on the stuff I killed this time. First trip so I'm going to give myself that one, its hard to not mount your first buff, kudu, and Eland, and maybe even that Hyena but he will probably get put on the back burner as I have got my sights on a trophy bull hunt. That's the beauty of elephant hunts, I don't have to worry about the taxidermy. I want to get me a nice set of replica tusks made and that will be fine.
And then get the replica shoulder mount;) 10 feet wide. About 10 feet tall, depending upon trunk pose. And depending upon trunk pose, will stick out from the walk about 10 feet! :)

I don't think this is completely what you have in mind but two things come to mind.

When I moved to Alaska as a wet-behind-the-ears not far out of college teacher, back in the 90s, I decided I didn't want to wait a year to become a resident. So I sold a waterbed that had been a gift in order to have the money for a NR caribou tag. My first trip out that fall I shot a small 2 year old bull. Zero regrets. I remember it like it was yesterday. I still smile thinking about that hunt and that animal.

Fast forward to today, literally. I am on the verge of having a DIY goat trip on Kodiak Island fall apart for a second year. I am scrambling to find someone to hunt with. I have pushed paying for more than half the flight cost to a few people, trying to get them to bite. I have stopped short of paying for the whole enchilada... but I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. :oops: I really don't want to have to table this hunt for a second year.

I don't think this is completely what you have in mind but two things come to mind.

When I moved to Alaska as a wet-behind-the-ears not far out of college teacher, back in the 90s, I decided I didn't want to wait a year to become a resident. So I sold a waterbed that had been a gift in order to have the money for a NR caribou tag. My first trip out that fall I shot a small 2 year old bull. Zero regrets. I remember it like it was yesterday. I still smile thinking about that hunt and that animal.

Fast forward to today, literally. I am on the verge of having a DIY goat trip on Kodiak Island fall apart for a second year. I am scrambling to find someone to hunt with. I have pushed paying for more than half the flight cost to a few people, trying to get them to bite. I have stopped short of paying for the whole enchilada... but I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. :oops: I really don't want to have to table this hunt for a second year.
I hunted the red lake/Olga Bay area on Kodiak. I had a buddy that was a resident up there, stationed there with the coast guard. He drew the Red Lake bear tag. I went with him just to help out. We did an 11 day DIY Kodiak hunt. It was wild!
Screenshot_20230124-142403.png
Screenshot_20230124-142512.png

I hunted the red lake/Olga Bay area on Kodiak. I had a buddy that was a resident up there, stationed there with the coast guard. He drew the Red Lake bear tag. I went with him just to help out. We did an 11 day DIY Kodiak hunt. It was wild!View attachment 552846View attachment 552847

Absolutely awesome! We ran a boat out of Valdez for about ten years or so. Nothing quite like running the coast on your own. Bear, deer, ducks, salmon, Dollie’s. We had some great adventures.

Haven’t decided yet but contemplating selling my 25‘ Grady White, it needs to be repowered and definitely can’t afford that.

I’m looking for ways to afford Africa, I am 26 and want go when I turn 30. I don’t make a whole lot and work enough hours that another job is not an option. I borrowed money for the first time in my life to buy a 4640 John Deere.
I drive a 95 ford, so I can’t really shave any off there.
I sell firewood in the winter and save some of that.
For now it looks like the gun collection will take a hit when the time comes.
@Wyatt Smith
Sell more fire wood mate. You only need 3 rifles to hunt . Sell the rest you can always buy guns later in life. You can't buy time.
Remember girlfriends cost money so go Dutch on nights out.
Tell her you are going to take her to a really flash Scottish restaurant.
Mac Donald's is a Scottish name. She mightn't see the funny side this tho
I'm sure you will make it happen.
Bob

I haven't been to Africa yet but have started doing a bit more travelling to hunt and will likely see Africa soon. Was supposed to be in Alaska next month but my buddy's deployment pushed us back a year. I have a good job that pays well and covers all the essentials and than some but have decided that job money = family money so I don't touch that for any of my hunting, including local stuff.

For years I have bought unskinned coyotes and porcupines and processed them, bought/sold guns (FFL), trapped/hunted fur and have recently started writing a few magazine articles.

UTq9UoL.jpg

jrheqBN.jpg

I am not a swing for the fences kinda guy but try to hit a lot of singles and it usually seems to add up ok...at least to where one travelling trip a year is definitely possible.

I am convinced the quickest way for me to save money would be to sell my hounds. Unfortunately it is hard to trade 12 months a year worth of memories for a week or two worth of hunting another location.

Eat cheap one meal a day and pocket difference. When the cash register says "cash back" get 10 or twenty--whichever won't be noticed, and hide in bottom of safe. All side gigs and windfalls go to hunt fund. $50 each pay period goes to same. Spare change in a jar. Sell stuff if you are not there by year three.
Keep mama's car spotless so she doesn't dream of another one...

Had a guy at the gun club ask me how I can afford to go to Africa. Told him I don't have your $80k Mercedes SUV millstone around my financial neck. Opportunity cost is lost on most people.
So true. The concept of Opportunity Costs is lost on most people.

I’m thinking of converting a bit of land, going on a Buffalo hunt, while I can still walk miles a day, saving the remaining land assets for my wife.

I agree I am getting shoulder mounts on the stuff I killed this time. First trip so I'm going to give myself that one, its hard to not mount your first buff, kudu, and Eland, and maybe even that Hyena but he will probably get put on the back burner as I have got my sights on a trophy bull hunt. That's the beauty of elephant hunts, I don't have to worry about the taxidermy. I want to get me a nice set of replica tusks made and that will be fine.
True, regarding taxidermy.

I just want the hunting experience.

I used my father's vaccination card one trip since we share the same name .... no one thought to check the DOB.

I've done several hunts, am in my mid 30's. Both my vehicles are older and paid off. I don't have a wife or kids, have a pretty low mortgage payment (albeit looking at upgrading because of taxidermy) and aside from women, guns, and bourbon don't have too many other addictions.
Careful, women, guns and bourbon can get expensive.

Unless they deliver satisfaction; at what price.

It’s all relative.

Guns and Bourbon can be managed.
Women, possibly.

They like you to think that you are managing them, but in truth we all know that they are in charge.

I am in my 30s and returned a couple months ago from my second safari. All self funded, I do not come from money. I learned from an early age the value of hard work and wise spending. I currently work two jobs, drive a paid off truck, and most of our groceries we grow, raise, catch, or kill ourselves. I do most vehicle and home maintenance myself to save a few bucks. Calling out a plumber, electrician, etc for every little thing or paying for each oil change or tune up will add up. A couple times a year we sell off anything that we don't need or are not using. Keeping up with the Joneses can also hurt you financially and for no good reason.

Where there is a will there is a way. Sometimes the hard part is learning to cut the unnecessary BS out.

All that said the real secret to being able to afford a safari is don't have kids!
@Seavas
I have to disagree on the don't have kids.
I have kids and wouldn't swap them for anything even a safari.
Yes they put a bit of a damper on things but I have been able to hunt in Australia and still have kids.
I had a forced retirement due to a shoulder injury but I'm still able to hunt.
When we ( my wife, son and myself) went to Namibia it was the most enjoyable hunt of my life being able to share it with my family.
My son shot his first African game (impala) on father's day. A greater gift I could not have asked for. Teaching him to hunt ant hunting with him has enriched my hunting experiences to the point I get more joy out of him succeeding than myself. Knowing I have passed this knowledge on to my son and the fact he now enjoys hunting as much as me give me great satisfaction knowing I have done at least one thing right in bringing up my son.
Bob

Roger That!
Keep the wife happy and satisfied.
It pays off in the long term.
@cajunchefray
Happy wife happy life is a myth, they just like you to think your happy.
As married men we are always in the shit, it's just the depth that varies.
I wear the pants in our marriage, there's no two ways about it. She choose them tho.
And I'm the boss of the house at least until she gets home.
I'm sure @Action Bob understands what I'm talking about.
Bob

I've always been given a LOT of crap by coworkers who make the same or more than me for hunting in Africa. Two in particular finally got to me one day so I asked them to sit down and calmly walked them through my mathmatical reasoning for how I could afford to do what I do and pay cash for what I do. A pack a day, a can a day, a 5th or 2 a week, a six pack a day over 2-3 years is more than enough money to go to Africa and do most things you'd want to do.
I told them I'm no better, I'm no worse than you, you have your vices and I have mine and in the end they cost about the same.
Well stated! People forget that we are not all the same in our habits. And some habits add up significantly. Heck, I could retire early if I hadn’t gotten bit by the outdoor bug when I was young. At the same time, those memories and trophies on the wall sure provide a good feeling when I’m stuck in the 9-5 (if only those hours were true) grind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fgrttuyty673

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]