What is the craziest lengths you have went to in order to pay for a hunt?

@cajunchefray
Happy wife happy life is a myth, they just like you to think your happy.
As married men we are always in the shit, it's just the depth that varies.
I wear the pants in our marriage, there's no two ways about it. She choose them tho.
And I'm the boss of the house at least until she gets home.
I'm sure @Action Bob understands what I'm talking about.
Bob
I’m not Bob but I understand lol

Got off my deer lease, sold UTV, 4wheeler, trailer, etc. No gas, food, feed, stands every year and with that gone can do Africa every two to three years for the same budget. Got plenty of friends that always have doe tags left and a few steaks, beer and bourbon is cheaper than a lease these days.
I live in a county in IL that just had a very special deer shot with bow in recent years. We used to lease about 150 acres of woodland from a neighboring farmer. 1 year later he was offered 8x more per year from a guy up in Chicago. Needless to say, we don’t lease now. Our local outfitter also doesn’t respect property boundaries when we found their blinds on our property.

My first safari I worked minimum wage, cut grass, washed cars at only 19 (1989)
Over the years I never lived beyond my means, never kept up with the Jones and have traveled and hunt extensively.
It all what you want, a big house isn’t my cup of tea, hunting is.
It boils down to how bad you want it.
My dad killed and hunted everything but Rhino on a teacher’s salary.

I haven’t done anything dramatic to pay for hunts or fishing trips. I’m in my early 30s, I’ve just worked hard, paid off all debt (except the house), and stick to a budget. Most people don’t budget and it blows my mind. Everyone that hasn’t made a budget believes it will restrict their lifestyle. I disagree completely. When my wife and I made our first budget we found areas to cut out crap that we didn’t really need. We realized we had disposable income and we were squandering it. Cutting credit cards at 25 was probably the single greatest thing I believe my wife and I have done financially.

Secondly, be willing to change employers. If you look at the rate of inflation versus your annual raise; it is mind blowing. You literally are getting poorer each year. Simple solution, improve your skill set and find employers to match your value. The biggest raises I have ever received was after an employer change.

Finally, sell items that you have kept because you haven’t used them in some time. I’m not saying sell your father’s pre 64 Winchester that holds sentimental value. However, I had a table saw that wasn’t used in 3 years. It took up too much room in my garage. I turned that into a 7mm Magnum that is now my “out west” rifle.

I didn’t come from money at all. I grew up in Goodwill clothes, and my very loving parents were not good money managers. I just knew I wanted a better life and have had motivation to build my life the way I see fit. Everyone has a vise, mine just happens to be the outdoors. Far healthier than a drug addiction.

I understand the fact that some things are simply reserved for those that are born into a higher station in life. Private jets, yachts, summer homes, some things are simply beyond the old, work hard and save you your money mind frame. The safari, however, is not one of those things, some safaris..yes, none of us common folk are going to be doing a month long shoot all of the big 5 safari anytime soon.
I call complete bullshit on that!

I probably did it wrong by waiting too long to spend any real money or even time on personal indulgence. I was 51 the first time I went to Africa. And turned 58 in Tanzania on the 5 week trip with my wonderful lovely Bride @Just Gina to Zanzibar to relax on the beach and do some tourist stuff and then on to the 21 day full bag hunt where we bagged Leopard, Lion, Buffalo, Sable, Roan and a bunch of other critters.

Neither I nor @Just Gina were born into any particular high positions in life. We took different paths but both managed to succeed in our careers. However it was not without considerable sacrifice and some pain. And a LOT of patience. You have to use your head and remember that all decisions have consequences.

Gina went down the path of education and as she got into her career she pursued options that paid the best. She was a Travel Nurse. So had to move around and be away from family at times. She picked up extra shifts and put in tons of hours. She pushed herself to excel and was able to choose what type of work she wanted to do. And got paid well for her efforts.

I started really with nothing but determination at a very young age of 9 selling sweet corn graduating into pigs at 13, (was keeping financial records on my business since I was 14) and was always self employed and always re-invested profits back in. During high school in addition to farming i cut and sold firewood including hauling it 100 mikes to peddle door to door... And i have always strived to replace myself. Some people hold on so tightly to their position that they can never move up...

My favorite plaque says "Diligence and hard work never go unrewarded and dreams really do come true".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharissaBe

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]