What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

Most British rifle makers building box lock rifles up to WW2 used this fabulous action . Looking forward to my Rigby Shikari 500NE .
Now that you mention it... I haven't actually ever seen a pre World War II British boxlock double rifle which WASN'T built on a Webley & Scott action. The upmarket ones used the PHV-1 action, while the more budget makers used the Screw Grip action. Unfortunately, Webley & Scott discontinued the PHV-1 action in 1939 and the Screw Grip action in 1947. And after the war, I can't think of one British gun maker who was building boxlock action double rifles until Rigby (then owned by Mr. Paul Roberts) started bulding some on German Merkel actions during the 1980s.

You've got to show me some photos of your fine new acquisition when you get your hands on it. What brand of ammunition will it be regulated for ? Hornady ?

Now that you mention it... I haven't actually ever seen a pre World War II British boxlock double rifle which WASN'T built on a Webley & Scott action. The upmarket ones used the PHV-1 action, while the more budget makers used the Screw Grip action. Unfortunately, Webley & Scott discontinued the PHV-1 action in 1939 and the Screw Grip action in 1947. And after the war, I can't think of one British gun maker who was building boxlock action double rifles until Rigby (then owned by Mr. Paul Roberts) started bulding some on German Merkel actions during the 1980s.

You've got to show me some photos of your fine new acquisition when you get your hands on it. What brand of ammunition will it be regulated for ? Hornady ?
Yes HH my experience is the same . I have seen and shot quite a few British boxlock rifles and all were PHVs or screw grips . All were great . Re the Rigby 500 NE it is still some way off . At this stage I haven’t thought about a brand of ammo . My other 500 was regulated using Federal . I mostly load my own .

I am not an expert, but by chance I bought years ago an old double rifle caliber 577 Nitro Express from Webley & Scott , which has a PHV-1 action. This was communicated to me at a later date, but I myself don't knew that before. Afterwards I also noticed that many double rifles from Rigby or rifles that were sold by Army & Navy among others, had also a PHV-1 action.

Last edited:
The Africa Frame must be nice, seems proportionate to a 450, 470. However, looking forward to your thoughts on the light, mere enthusiasm. @Kevin Peacocke
1717586307603.png

I'm sure the Shikari is magnificent, for those that are awaiting. Rigby, like other great distributers are quick to correspond. This thread prompt me to look for a soft case, the USD adds up quick to the (£). Love it, personally, apprehensive to spend another dollar .. all the best.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.07.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 11.07.09 AM.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 39
What is the start price for a basic Heym 89B in the US..?

What is the start price for a basic Heym 89B in the US..?
2021 again?. This 500 was being finished off at the factory. (Wasn't spoken for @ the time) Spec'd pretty nice, imo.
$26K + change

89.jpg

heym-fabrik.de used to show MSRP's.

Last edited:
So it has soul....and not a mass produced thing..... ;) :D Beers:
I was referring to fitting of components--not on receiver chiseling/engraving, choice of scalloped receivers, selection and shaping of stocks, or overall embellishments--just the work involved in getting a block of high grade metal to open and close precisely at modernized, minimal cost.

I was referring to fitting of components--not on receiver chiseling/engraving, choice of scalloped receivers, selection and shaping of stocks, or overall embellishments--just the work involved in getting a block of high grade metal to open and close precisely at modernized, minimal cost.

Yup still what I meant...

Actually..I think Rigby´s or should I say Marc Newtons greatest achivement is the new Highland Stalker and the basic heavy caliber bolt actions... These are great rifles, the H.S is a gem and it is affordable to most hunters..

I keep looking at the Shikari, the one I handled at SCI this year was just a superb double. But every time I look at pulling the trigger so to speak an amazing hunt opportunity comes up. So I you see me selling a bunch of other doubles and higher end bolt guns you know I finally decided to call Jerome and start a Shikari.

Looks like they're trickling in. Corey Knowlton just recieved his and has been posting alot of pics on instagram. Its a beautiful rifle in CCH, and engraved buff on the bottom.

I just looked on his instagram and cannot find it! I was hoping to see it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewAnnis1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe