What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

Does that mean that they build the actions from scratch inhouse or is it more like buying actions built to their specifications?

OK as I am such a nice person.... :E Rofl: here more from Marc....

We use various outside engineering companies to machine parts for us on the Shikari. All built to our own designs and drawings.
This is done in much the same way as a century ago when Rigby used Birmingham gunmaking companies to produce boxlocks parts.
This allowed them to produce a working rifle that was considerably more affordable than the sidelock

Soo.. .£40.000,- for a re-badged double rifle with an unknown action..? I think not...the John Rigby name is not worth it to me..

I would rather by a Heym 89B if in the market..but as of now I have more doubles that I need.. :)
As an owner of a couple of Heym doubles the Rigby was worth it to me. And it is not a re-badged rifle. I should have mine in my hands in about 6 months, a .500 NE with an extra set of barrels in .450/400.

Marc said to put his contact info here so if any queries you can get in contact directly....if they get removed I can pm them to you

marc@johnrigbyandco.com

+44 7432 664 030

Please feel free to post my direct contact details, will be happy to help anyone interested

As an owner of a couple of Heym doubles the Rigby was worth it to me. And it is not a re-badged rifle. I should have mine in my hands in about 6 months, a .500 NE with an extra set of barrels in .450/400.

Mmm....now the other set of barrels is news....be fantastic set up....looking forward to seeing the set when you receive it :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

Customer Service .. it's priceless.

I don't care who's name is behind a build .. I'm dealing with an unfortunate issue right now.

Mmm....now the other set of barrels is news....be fantastic set up....looking forward to seeing the set when you receive it :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:
Yeah, Jerome already has a Trijicon RMR for the .500 and a Swarowski Z6i 1.7-10x40 for the .450/400 which will have claw mounts. They will regulate the .450/400 for 100 meters and the .500 for 50m. He took them to the UK himself in his luggage for me.

I know of one Shikari coming to Zimbabwe so I will get to handle it and hopefully shoot it. Until then all I can do is reserve judgment, but it will be assessed against my Heym 89b which has set the bar very high.

I know of one Shikari coming to Zimbabwe so I will get to handle it and hopefully shoot it. Until then all I can do is reserve judgment, but it will be assessed against my Heym 89b which has set the bar very high.

Be interesting to hear your feelings on the balance comparing the two....when the 89b first came out and I had a look at sci , I was a bit disappointed with the feel and balance...too front heavy to me...the shikar at sci this year felt perfect to me....the one I played with felt like it had been made for me....but different people different strokes...

Not too OT I hope, but given how PERFECTLY things can be duplicated with EDM machines, I don't know why builders are not cutting costs that way and bringing prices down on break action guns. One EDM operator told me that anything you use to measure an EDM made object with will itself have more tolerances in it's own manufacture than what you are measuring! I once made a claw mount out of alloy which I then decided to have EDM'ed into tool steel. This was a tight, smoke fitted piece. The EDM duplicate needed no fitting whatsoever and was identically tight. Why do things the old way?

Be interesting to hear your feelings on the balance comparing the two....when the 89b first came out and I had a look at sci , I was a bit disappointed with the feel and balance...too front heavy to me...the shikar at sci this year felt perfect to me....the one I played with felt like it had been made for me....but different people different strokes...
What size was the 89 you handled? I have only handled the Africa frame which comes in 375, 416, 450/400, 450, 470 and I think 500. Since the action is more or less the same size throughout the barrels will for sure affect the balance.
I am hoping later this year to handle an 89b light frame in 375 FL. That will be interesting.

What size was the 89 you handled? I have only handled the Africa frame which comes in 375, 416, 450/400, 450, 470 and I think 500. Since the action is more or less the same size throughout the barrels will for sure affect the balance.
I am hoping later this year to handle an 89b light frame in 375 FL. That will be interesting.

470 I think...maybe a 500 as well...can't remember exactly now....

Not too OT I hope, but given how PERFECTLY things can be duplicated with EDM machines, I don't know why builders are not cutting costs that way and bringing prices down on break action guns. One EDM operator told me that anything you use to measure an EDM made object with will itself have more tolerances in it's own manufacture than what you are measuring! I once made a claw mount out of alloy which I then decided to have EDM'ed into tool steel. This was a tight, smoke fitted piece. The EDM duplicate needed no fitting whatsoever and was identically tight. Why do things the old way?
So it has soul....and not a mass produced thing..... ;) :D Beers:

I see your point. Where I deviate slightly is I pay for the customer service. I have always been able to 1) Get a hold of Rigby and.....2) Have everything sorted immediately. I get frustrated dropping a lot of money for a product and then getting the run around.
@roverandbrew
Customer service is everything.
But once cry once.
Bob

Looking forward to hear your thoughts about it once you have it in your hands, and of course some pictures would also be very nice to see.

OK as I am such a nice person.... :E Rofl: here more from Marc....

We use various outside engineering companies to machine parts for us on the Shikari. All built to our own designs and drawings.
This is done in much the same way as a century ago when Rigby used Birmingham gunmaking companies to produce boxlocks parts.
This allowed them to produce a working rifle that was considerably more affordable than the sidelock
This was and remains the business model of all the great gun and rifle makers in London as well as Birmingham. I see no difference in how high end cars are made - x makes the engine , y the gearbox , x the electrical systems . All supplied to and assembled by the brand name selling the car .

The original John Rigby & Co. boxlock ejector double rifles were built on the Webley & Scott PHV-1 actions.

The actions on these new ones look pretty close to the originals.
Most British rifle makers building box lock rifles up to WW2 used this fabulous action . Looking forward to my Rigby Shikari 500NE .

I find it interesting that those who “poo poo” the Rigby brand are still sufficiently interested in it to read and comment on a post about it. It is honorable to acknowledge it is beyond reach, but disingenuous to pretend it is not desirable.

The Rigby name, history of use in the field, and their present lineup perfectly emulate the romantic vision of hunting In Africa.

It is fortunate that they are still around and we can obtain (or dream of) the guns we wanted in our youth.

The desire can become a goal, and then a journey can begin toward that goal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxSim90

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe