Mountain Lion
View attachment 395557
cougar
View attachment 395558
puma
View attachment 395559
this completes today’s lesson
@Bullthrower338.
I didn't need the lesson mate but appreciate the simplicity of your lesson and personally feel you are correct.
We don't have mountain loins in Australia but have plenty of cougars. These can get pretty vicious at times especially with each other when being stalked by toy boys in pumas in their natural environment (bars). The higher quality cougar much prefer to be stalked by toy boys in nike as they appear to make better financial partners for mating purposes.
Bob

They are used interchangeably, mountain lion or cougar.

North Carolina

Last edited:
Felix concolor my high school biology class.

As I was growing up, my grandmother would tell the story of being chased by a “painter” as a little girl in Alabama. I never understood why there was a “painter any where near her house because they were to poor to have paint on their house. It was years later that I realized that her soft southern accent was turning panther into painter.

Our DOW regulations and licenses call them mountain lions.
Colorado

Me, I call them beautiful and exciting when you see them in the wild! Just got my 2021 license to hunt them starting the month of April. Another year I will make some trips to the mountains to try to call one in. One of my goals before I get too old and can no longer keep the old man out.

Our DOW regulations and licenses call them mountain lions.
Colorado

Me, I call them beautiful and exciting when you see them in the wild! Just got my 2021 license to hunt them starting the month of April. Another year I will make some trips to the mountains to try to call one in. One of my goals before I get too old and can no longer keep the old man out.
I like calling them in if its hot outside and i can sit in the arizona shade. Lol
But if its cooler, i like to track them. I just find fresh tracks and follow them for about 1/2 a mile, then turn around and go back. I always catch them trying to circle around me.
When I was young, we saw a jaguar every now and then. That was really exciting. Havent seen or heard abput one in my area since like 1990 or so. But we still have plenty of lions and bobcats out here.

Panther, if in Mississippi. And yes I have seen one in MS, even though the MS Game and Fish denies they exist in the state.

I'm in Colorado and only know them as "mountain lion" but another name that I've seen in print is catamount (according to Webster Dictionary - short for cat-a-mountain). Here is mine - 2016 near Meeker, CO. It was a big tom - 210 lbs!!!
IMG_0597.JPG

Every time I hear the word "Cougar", I think of girls I used to take home from the bar when I was in my 20's and 30's. Generally they were brunettes.

:) :) :)

Mountain West US. I've always used mountain lion. However cougar is also common.

In addition to mountain lion and cougar, have heard other names used including:
leon', catamount, puma, panther and painter.

TPWD in their Outdoor Annual list them as Mountain Lion.

I have heard and used both here in South Texas/Hill Country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfsdgsdfafd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]