What do you call this cat?

Mountain lion, or cougar. I have also heard just about all the other names for them also

From Coloado USA

Cougar
I’m from utah
They love to eat domestic cats.
1D49A9FD-D05F-4A07-977E-DD9B3A992C9E.jpeg

Mountain lion

The Great State of TEXAS USA !!

Mountain lion when referring to those in most of North America. Puma when referring to those in South America. Panther or cougar when referring to those, or the possibility of those, in my local area.

US, Mississippi

Mountain Lion or Cougar...

Texas

Mountain lion

The Great State of TEXAS USA !!
They may be mountain lions out around Alpine, but here around Houston, it's cougar.

Not that I follow sportsball all that much, but the University of Houston COUGARS are in the NCAA men's basketball Final Four.

Last edited:
I call them mountain lions, normally just "lions". I have called them lions my entire life. A lot of people call them cougars, and even though the ones in Florida are referred to as panthers I still call them lions.

The USFWS has brought in Texas strain Mountain Lion to increase genetic diversity in the Florida strain mountain lion population. So even if the ones in Florida were a isolated patch of cats, they are now related to the ones in South Texas.

Here in New Mexico some people call them cougars, and some call them lions. It is very regional (down to the county) depending on where you live in the Western USA, and Canada. Most Canadians also can't figure out what to call them either.

State game and fish agencies refer to them officially by a variety of names.

Arizona Mountain Lion
Texas Mountain Lion
Wyoming Mountain Lion
Montana Mountain Lion
Nevada Mountain Lions
Idaho Mountain Lion
South Dakota Mountain Lion
North Dakota Mountain Lion
Colorado Mountain Lion
Oklahoma Mountain Lion
Nebraska Mountain Lion

Utah Cougar
Alberta Cougar
New Mexico Cougar
Yukon Territory Cougars
British Columbia Cougar
Oregon Cougar

Alaska both cougar and mountain lion
California both cougar and mountain lion

Florida Panther

I am from Wyoming originally, and will always call them mountain lions.

I will add that New Mexico is very strange about naming conventions on wildlife.

We have gemsbok oryx here on White Sands Missile Range released in the 1960's the state calls them oryx.

We have Persian Ibex in the Florida mountains, and we used to have Siberian Ibex near Santa Fe. The ibex in the Floridas were always called Persian Ibex and now they are just ibex.

We have Aoudad/ Barbary sheep in the entire eastern and northern half of the state. The state refers to them as Barbary sheep and never aoudad.

I bought a mountain lion tag from the girl at the Game and Fish counter here in Las Cruces last year and I asked for a mountain lion tag and she left, looked puzzled and came back a few minutes later to lecture me that they were cougars not mountain lions.

There are also Hymalayan Tahr on Mt Taylor near Gallup.

I laughed at her stupidity in my head, smiled and got what I needed and got out.

Puma
Belgium

Mountain Lion
65741176-F576-4EB7-8FBA-9A4F76F51BF9.jpeg

cougar
1E3D5FBF-EEC1-4290-802A-BB74315A3434.jpeg

puma
750E7A34-AC75-4216-A313-5410FC05BD5E.jpeg

this completes today’s lesson

Grew up calling them Mountain Lions, but I hear Cougar just as often. Puma, Panther far less often. I've heard they call them Red Tigers in parts of Mexico??

Kentucky (but Dad and I both hunted them in Utah)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosalineHa

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa