What could you just not resist at DSC?

I’m wondering how many other folks managed to leave without spending any money? Though I do have a bunch of follow-up with several outfitters for a future hunt.
I walked out without spending $ but that's because I've already sent the next 2 years deposits, etc before the show. Well that's not entirely correct as I brought some $ for CMS's DAPU anti-poaching work.

I walked out without spending $ but that's because I've already sent the next 2 years deposits, etc before the show. Well that's not entirely correct as I brought some $ for CMS's DAPU anti-poaching work.
You’ve got a bunch of elephant hunting to look forward to and save for

You’ve got a bunch of elephant hunting to look forward to and save for
Well I hope so...but the 3 elephant hunts I assisted others in booking were for them not for me. I'm excited to get several experienced hunters into elephants for the first time. My next ele for myself won't be until '25 I think but I have 2 DG hunts booked this season.

Well I hope so...but the 3 elephant hunts I assisted others in booking were for them not for me. I'm excited to get several experienced hunters into elephants for the first time. My next ele for myself won't be until '25 I think but I have 2 DG hunts booked this season.
I knew you helped others book, just thought you had something else on the books too

My 2 Africa hunts this year are for multiple buff, another croc and some misc items. I'm helping one of the sponsors film some hunts to answer prospective clients' questions. Next year is Argentina red stag and hopefully back to Zim for ele (also filming that for the sponsor).

For the .470:
2 Boxes of Swift A-Frames
2 Boxes of North Fork Bonded Cores
2 Boxes of North Fork Cup Point Solids
all of the 500gr variety. This amounted to more than what I spent on airline tix for both myself and Donna.

The hat enablers like @Red Leg had me stopping in at the Rand Hats booth....twice. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Cry Macho Drover. But with it being an 8-10 month lead time, I wouldn't have it in time for my trip to Moz this coming June. So I put that on hold.....there's always SCI however.
I somehow missed their booth entirely! Shame, I like there hats!

I spoke to some Namibian outfitters about showing up on short notice for 3-4 days since I will be in Angola for business anyway and want to leverage my business trips whenever possible. Talked through many issues (rental rifles, gear, drive time, etc) and every single one basically told me "Just call me, we will fit you in, this is not a problem". Kinda scary ($) how easy it can be.

I also spoke to Worldwide Trophy Adventures guy about booking hunts in Europe (as add ons to business trips) and same thing, very possible, just one phone call away. As much notice as possible is appreciated but they can make it work. I see Croatia and Sweden in my future for 2024.
I’ll be in Croatia in September for a wedding and looking at doing a hunt while there what outfitters were you looking at?

I’ll be in Croatia in September for a wedding and looking at doing a hunt while there what outfitters were you looking at?
I spoke with World Wide Trophy Adventures which is a "broker" but I put the link below to the specific hunt in Croatia I was looking at. If you talk to WWTA, speak to Roger, an American who lives in Austria and is their consultant. He has a ton of options in Croatia and all over Europe

Yes...Roger is a great addition to the WTA booking agency. I enjoyed talking to him at DSC.

While not ear protection, I’ve got some pretty bad hearing loss and tinnitus. I knew it was bad, but didn’t realize how bad it was until a few weeks ago. While traveling I was joking with a co-worker about his new hearing aids and having to listen to his wife again. He laughed and said I needed to try them. He took them out and I put them in. While not fitted for me or my hearing loss range (caused some echo) I was amazed at the difference. I didn’t even realize I hadn’t been hearing birds chirping or how loud I walked in cowboy boots, especially on gravel and sand!

I made a call to the VA the next day to try and get a hearing exam on the books.
I was doing my yearly work physical several years ago, the audiologist asked if I had any hearing issues, I said yes I do “I can’t hear my wife’s voice when she talks” they put that in my record, I was able to show it to my wife and proudly state see I have a medical excuse, soon after I was being fitted for hearing aids, they make a world of difference, am on my second pair (my govt. insurance provides a pair every 5 years), the ones I have now are blue tooth and rechargeable— I would recommend those options if you can swing it, with my first ones half the time all I got was battery,battery ect.. as the batteries let you know they needed replacing.

Ladies & Gents,

The box lock double rifle shown in 3 photos attached below, is what I just could not resist, at the 2024 DSC Convention.
I bought it from Francis Lombardi III, at his and his father’s DSC booth, “Collector’s Firearms Inc”, of New York, USA.
It was built by Franz Sodia of Ferlach Austria, in caliber .375 H&H (the standard belted magnum version).
It has 26” ejector barrels and although I bought it 2nd hand, it appears to have remained unfired since leaving the Maker’s shop.

There is dark grease on the breech face and on various other contours within the receiver, visible when the barrels are tilted open.
Refer to my last picture on your right.
Perhaps it was put there a long time ago as it appears to be drying out.

I expect solvent and a nylon scrub brush should remove it, no worries.
I’ve had good luck with lighter fluid for removing stubborn “cosmoline” from 1930’s and 40’s surplus military firearms.
No doubt there are better products available for this today.

Also, turning the top lever to open the rifle requires noticeably more effort than a used double should have.
Again, I suspect it was not fired except for proof testing and / or regulating by the Maker.
This rifle is not young though because the anti-recoil pad is becoming brittle with age.

Photos L to R:
Myself holding the rifle.
Dr. Kevin Robertson posing with it.
It is no surprise but he is a perfect gentleman, courteous, friendly and obviously possessed of a very bright mind.
Close up of the receiver, showing the rose & scroll style engraving, as well as what appears to be vintage brown color packing grease, aka—> “cosmoline” on the breach face.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

IMG_8715.png
IMG_8677.png
IMG_8689.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies & Gents,

The rifle shown in 3 photos attached below, is what I just could not resist, at the 2024 DSC Convention.
It was built by Franz Sodia of Ferlach Austria, in caliber .375 H&H (the standard belted magnum version).
It has 26” ejector barrels and although I bought it 2nd hand, it appears to have remained unfired since leaving the Maker’s shop.

There is dark grease on the breech face and on various other contours within the receiver, visible when the barrels are tilted open.

I expect solvent and a nylon scrub brush should remove it (I’ve had good luck with lighter fluid for removing stubborn “cosmoline” from 1930’s and 40’s surplus military firearms.

Also, turning the top lever to open the rifle requires noticeably more effort than a used double should have.
Again, I suspect it was not fired except for proof testing and / or regulating by the Maker.

Photos L to R:
It is no surprise but he is a perfect gentleman, courteous, friendly and obviously possessed of a very bright mind.
Close up of the receiver, showing the rose & scroll style engraving, as well as what appears to be vintage brown color packing grease, aka—> “cosmoline” on the breach face.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Very nice looking rifle! Well done, can’t wait to see it in action in the field!

I didn’t attend. but the Rigby Dagga Boy book was mentioned in this thread.

I ordered mine from their website. The box and wrapping were over the top. So much so that I’ll save them. I’m sure as volume 2 and more come out the original box and wrap will be part of the collectors value.
IMG_3121.jpeg
IMG_3122.jpeg

Jay after hearing about the Rigby book from you, I ordered a copy and it will arrive today I think. I'm looking forward to it. I didn't spend as much time with the gun vendors as I had planned to and missed the book altogether.

I didn’t attend. but the Rigby Dagga Boy book was mentioned in this thread.

I ordered mine from their website. The box and wrapping were over the top. So much so that I’ll save them. I’m sure as volume 2 and more come out the original box and wrap will be part of the collectors value. View attachment 581228View attachment 581229
I bought this lovely book at the show. I would not have noticed it if Maria had not shown it to me. I have decided my next buffalo hunt will be for a buffalo that will be honored in Volume 2.

Safe hunting

I like the criteria to make “the book” it’s clear concise and doesn’t focus on young, soft boss wide horns. It’s the bull and the story that get the animal, PH and hunter into the “book”

I also enjoy the layout. Short one or two page stories on what made that hunt special.

Ladies & Gents,

The box lock double rifle shown in 3 photos attached below, is what I just could not resist, at the 2024 DSC Convention.
I bought it from Francis Lombardi III, at his and his father’s DSC booth, “Collector’s Firearms Inc”, of New York, USA.

I expect solvent and a nylon scrub brush should remove it, no worries.
I’ve had good luck with lighter fluid for removing stubborn “cosmoline” from 1930’s and 40’s surplus military firearms.

This rifle is not young though because the anti-recoil pad is becoming brittle with age.

Photos L to R:

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Congratulations! You were talking about it the last time I saw you!!
Yes Kevin Roberston is a pleasure to talk to. He has stopped by our shop several times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckenzieSh

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.