What could you just not resist at DSC?

It's like hunting with the game warden.

I was hunting just a couple of weeks ago at a lease (as a guest) that 2x game wardens are members of.. and actually hunted the wardens blind for one of the hunts..

That guy had what was no shit, the nicest blind Ive ever sat in my life.. I could have lived in there for a few days lol..

Big solar panel on the side of it that kept a bank of 12v car batteries charged, that then ran through an inverter with multiple 110 plugs and USB ports so you could run pretty much any electronic device you wanted while there..

the blind was heated.. had "gamer" quality office chairs in it to sit in.. had SPECATULAR rests in each window for your rifle to perch upon facing in 3 different directions (1 nice food plot to the south, and feeders to the north and the east)...

he even had his own mini cell signal boosting antenna mounted (that was powered by the 12v battery bank)... the stand also had a pee tube on the back wall with a large funnel that ran several feet underground into a mini septic system.. he also had a small multi drawer chest in the blind that had everything from snacks and water in it to range cards, to cleaning gear for a rifle and for an optic, etc..etc..

He clearly spent a LOT of time and money rigging out his favorite hunting spot..

I'll hunt with that game warden any day! lol... I was more comfortable in his blind than I am on my own couch sitting in front of the TV lol.. the biggest challenge of the day was staying awake in the warm blind while sitting in a super comfy chair, and after getting filled up on his snacks lol..

It was good hanging out with you awhile at Fri evening's shindig

Pretty much everything in the Rigby booth was for sale (to include the furniture).. Some of the prints were very nice (albeit "Rigby" priced)..
I wonder how many (like me) would have bought that tent with the awning they always set up--they should sell those imo.

I’m wondering how many other folks managed to leave without spending any money? Though I do have a bunch of follow-up with several outfitters for a future hunt.

I’m wondering how many other folks managed to leave without spending any money? Though I do have a bunch of follow-up with several outfitters for a future hunt.

I go every single year with zero intention of spending.. the plan is always to shop, compare notes, get ideas, etc.. and then execute on those ideas later..

8 shows later.. and I have failed in my mission every single time lol..

I think I got off pretty light this year with just a couple of Kryptek vests and just one hunt purchase lol..

I got tagged HARD a few years ago when we booked a Bos en Dal hunt, a hunt in Peru, and a hunt in Argentina all at the same show.. and also bought probably $1K in various "stuff" while we were there (a couple of RYO bino harnesses, a new optic, and a few other things IIRC)...

Im terrified of what DSC is ultimately going to cost me in 2024 though... LOTS of ideas swirling around lol... Im hopeful I can talk myself out of most of them lol..

Define not spending money. I did not spend it there, but will later.

"Stuff" everywhere!

Did anyone see anything in Verney-Carron by chance? Thank you.
1705434195809.png

One caution on the electronic ear plugs, sensory overload.

I once had a first time to africa hunter. We went directly to a leopard bait. It was a night from hell. Lions ran a herd of buffalo around our blind, elephant paid us a visit and hyena. He totally lost it and demanded to go back to camp that is when I realized he was wearing the electronic ear plugs turned to full volumn.

The next night he got his leopard. All forgiven

Lon

100% understand and appreciate the advice. It will definitely help one walk softly for sure. No matter what, some people do not have nerves that can handle pressure. Some people can't get out of their own mind. I have used electronic hearing protection for a while (the 400.00 kind) not the 1700-2500. The pair I have now work, they just get uncomfortable after 3-4 hours. I leave them in all day, my ears are sore. I already have tinnitus, I don't want it to get any worse.

The pair I have now work, they just get uncomfortable after 3-4 hours. I leave them in all day, my ears are sore. I already have tinnitus, I don't want it to get any worse.

Thats my challenge..

Ive got some customs that were really well done and properly fitted.. but I can only wear them for a few hours at a time.. after that my ears start to get tender/sore...

theyre great for a sporting clays or a skeet tournament, etc.. but anything much longer than that and Ive got to pull them out for a bit..

I do wear them around my neck when hunting... I generally leave them out.. but if I have the time/opportunity will insert them before taking a shot..

Ive also got pretty bad tinnitus already.. and definitely dont want it getting any worse..

Thats my challenge..

Ive got some customs that were really well done and properly fitted.. but I can only wear them for a few hours at a time.. after that my ears start to get tender/sore...

theyre great for a sporting clays or a skeet tournament, etc.. but anything much longer than that and Ive got to pull them out for a bit..

I do wear them around my neck when hunting... I generally leave them out.. but if I have the time/opportunity will insert them before taking a shot..

Ive also got pretty bad tinnitus already.. and definitely dont want it getting any worse..

I'll let you know how these go. "The pitch was, if they are uncomfortable we will fix them it doesn't matter how many times it takes".

I'm running suppressors on everything I able to now. I still do dumb things like forget to put my ears on before I take that shot in the deer stand. It is not bad with a can. My thought/hope is find something super comfortable and leave them in not worrying about that aspect anymore. Then the other part of my brain says, hey DA they have bt and you like music... you know you are going to blast the songs... 1st world problems.

I mostly go to DSC and SCI to visit with friends, meet people, go to the AH banquets or Get Togethers, etc. I did take advantage of the 10% off sale with North Fork and bought another box of 400-grain .416 PP and a box of 240-grain .338 SS. I also booked with Tholo Safaris for April 2025.
Regardless, it was great seeing everyone at the AH banquet. It's always a highpoint of the trip for me. I just wonder what we're going to do for ATL over the next 5-7 years.

I wasn't there but I bid and won a silent action to East Cape for a ridiculously good price.
Most of the African hunts on silent action was going for a lot less than what I thought they are worth.

I bought a print off the wall in the Rigby booth, walked out of the show with it and it proudly hangs in my new office

View attachment 580771
SAW YOU WALKING OUT INTO THE GARAGE WITH IT, THE PAINTING LOOKED GREAT AND YOU LOOKED VERY PROUD. CONGRATS

It was a fun time at my first DSC and am already planning on going back with my son next year. I didn't have any plans to spend money but that lasted 10 min into the show.

I wanted to talk to the H&H fellows about the London shooting ground and walked by the Longshot camera guys, I will be able to use that to shoot on my own time at my clubs 600 yard range.

I wound up buying a Montana Knife company blade after putting it off for a while.

And finally I bought a suppressor for my rifles, been kicking this one around for a couple of years and it was too dang easy.

The best thing I bought was talking face to face with some of the outfitters I had thought about and got a good feeling from them so I will begin looking for times to live the dream.

I go every single year with zero intention of spending.. the plan is always to shop, compare notes, get ideas, etc.. and then execute on those ideas later..

8 shows later.. and I have failed in my mission every single time lol..

I think I got off pretty light this year with just a couple of Kryptek vests and just one hunt purchase lol..

I got tagged HARD a few years ago when we booked a Bos en Dal hunt, a hunt in Peru, and a hunt in Argentina all at the same show.. and also bought probably $1K in various "stuff" while we were there (a couple of RYO bino harnesses, a new optic, and a few other things IIRC)...

Im terrified of what DSC is ultimately going to cost me in 2024 though... LOTS of ideas swirling around lol... Im hopeful I can talk myself out of most of them lol..
I go with the intention of booking or bidding on a hunt or two. Last 3 years here and 1 at SCI I accomplished the mission. This year I knew going in I didn’t want to book unless it was a good deal due to where I sit points wise and drawing some tags out west. There was an auction I was watching but missed the alert text and another that went for more than the value of the hunt. This happened to me a past year at DSC and SCI so i just booked directly with the outfitter.

I definitely laid the groundwork for a couple future hunts, am following up with a few at Houston and like @wesheltonj said, I’ll spend some money after. Been messaging with one of the outfitters on and off today.

100% understand and appreciate the advice. It will definitely help one walk softly for sure. No matter what, some people do not have nerves that can handle pressure. Some people can't get out of their own mind. I have used electronic hearing protection for a while (the 400.00 kind) not the 1700-2500. The pair I have now work, they just get uncomfortable after 3-4 hours. I leave them in all day, my ears are sore. I already have tinnitus, I don't want it to get any worse.
While not ear protection, I’ve got some pretty bad hearing loss and tinnitus. I knew it was bad, but didn’t realize how bad it was until a few weeks ago. While traveling I was joking with a co-worker about his new hearing aids and having to listen to his wife again. He laughed and said I needed to try them. He took them out and I put them in. While not fitted for me or my hearing loss range (caused some echo) I was amazed at the difference. I didn’t even realize I hadn’t been hearing birds chirping or how loud I walked in cowboy boots, especially on gravel and sand!

I made a call to the VA the next day to try and get a hearing exam on the books.

While not ear protection, I’ve got some pretty bad hearing loss and tinnitus. I knew it was bad, but didn’t realize how bad it was until a few weeks ago. While traveling I was joking with a co-worker about his new hearing aids and having to listen to his wife again. He laughed and said I needed to try them. He took them out and I put them in. While not fitted for me or my hearing loss range (caused some echo) I was amazed at the difference. I didn’t even realize I hadn’t been hearing birds chirping or how loud I walked in cowboy boots, especially on gravel and sand!

I made a call to the VA the next day to try and get a hearing exam on the books.

Yes sir, I have told my wife. You have to look at me and talk or I'm not going to pick it up. Especially if their is background noise.

Good luck to you, sounds like you have a plan.

On Thursday I was able to keep my spending limited to two personal pizzas for my daughter and myself at lunch; and when I went back on Saturday with a couple of buddies, I was able to keep it to a couple of bourbons for us. I can't say the same for my buddies. ;-)

Pretty much everything in the Rigby booth was for sale (to include the furniture).. Some of the prints were very nice (albeit "Rigby" priced)..
Maybe that's so they didn't have to truck it all to Atlanta. I asked one well known outfitter what they were doing with their exhibit and they said throw it away and start over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Renate75M

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles