What caliber rifle would you use for Leopard?

What caliber rifle would you use for Leopard?

• Total voters
Hello and welcome to ah, please post some reports and pics! We all love to read a hunt report

Welcome aboard Jennifer. It's always great to see a female join the ranks of folks hooked on Africa.

Welcome to AH. 375 H&H would be fine choice.

Welcome aboard !

Welcome Jennifer, glad to have more input from the fairer sex. Did you do any of the shooting on your previous safaris? If so what animals did you take? What kind of rifles do you use on your hunts? Do you plan to hunt African game in the future? If so what kind?

300winmag and above.
Some places have the minimum legal caliber. Follow that.
A quick, lighter bullet will be more suited than a slow heavy bullet.

PeteG has it right. Leopards are thin skinned. You want the bullet to open up rather quickly. Will cause more trauma and a quicker death. Last thing you want is a leopard with a small hole through it. You might think of it this way. A big leopard is still only 10% of the body mass of a buffalo. If the bullet doesn't open fast it just whistles on through. Bruce

I'm planning on using a 338 win mag, haven't hunted then yet but this is based pretty much what everyone as said above. There is a bunch of guys hunting leopards either right now or soon so you should get some awesome first hand feedback.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome aboard! I've never hunted Leopard, but if I did, I would take my CZ in 375H&H.

Welcome to AH. I recommend you get a 35 Whelen its a fantastic Mid bore caliber for all of the Plains Game and Mr Spots.

I used my 375 Ruger on my hunt,One shot kill. John

223 is much more appropriate for troll hunting.

Welcome to AH. I recommend you get a 35 Whelen its a fantastic Mid bore caliber for all of the Plains Game and Mr Spots.
I'm with you on this one. I have one and would use a bullet as noted above, that expands very rapidly. But my 30-06 or 270 WSM with appropriate bullets ( say Nosler Ballistic Tips) would be awesome as well.
My PH in Namibia, Gideon Cloete is a very experienced leopard hunter, and uses a 30-30 lever gun for back up. Light, fast, rapid expansion.

223 is much more appropriate for troll hunting.
Ha ha ha, you think so? No response here for a while... you could be right.

I agree with @Royal27. .223 is not enough for a leopard. Of course, in the right place it will kill, but you really want to shock this animal as much as possible. For that reason, I suggest (and have used) more velocity with a bit more weight than a .223. I believe a .300 Win mag is the best, using perhaps a bit lighter bullet than usual (165 rather than 180 or 200 grains). If required, you might have to use a .375, which isn't the best, but with a lighter bullet will also do the job. The might be a time where a Weatherby might work well, but I don't own one, so can't recommend it.

I also suggest a bullet which will expand quickly. This might not be the time to use the premium bullets you might otherwise use, unless they are virtually guaranteed to open quickly and upon little resistance.

I was once charged by a wounded leopard. I can't complain too much, because I wounded it. But there aren't many wounded animals which are worse than leopard to follow up. So lots of shock, and accuracy, are what you're looking for.

Ha ha ha, you think so? No response here for a while... you could be right.

I wish there were more women here and that they posted regularly.

As a pretty good general rule though with very few exceptions, there are two types of women here:
  1. Real woman only interested in votes for the latest huntress contest. Join, please vote for me, and never be heard from again.
  2. Fake accounts for whatever reason
In the last couple of days I've seen at least five women join
  1. Two to sell elephant tusks
  2. One to get help restoring the fox mount she found on side of road
  3. One with a general welcome (jury still out here)
  4. and one who wants to know if an AR15 is the best rifle for Leopard :rolleyes:
Only way I will believe a woman is real and wants to be a part of the community is over time by her posting and contributing.

Reactions: BWH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?