First time SA taxidermy advice?

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Right folks, because I have 10 months to wait until my first trip, (time to save but painful waiting) I’m trying to iron out as much of the details as I can in advance.

So..

I’m planning a few scalloped shoulder mounts with a bit more of the shoulder than just the neck forward,(possibly kudu, nyala, impala, springbok, zebra). I’m going to have the work done in the uk to 1) spread out any costs 2) actually have them in the country - potential legislation considered and 3) to have some dialogue with the taxidermist.

Previously caping red deer, the taxidermist has said to skin from the p3nis forwards. “You might as well take plenty”.

I assume I can ask the skinners to do this as they’ll probably cut just behind the shoulder otherwise? Do you tend to have much dialogue with the skinners directly? I’ll be keen to see some of it as they’ll be better than me! Or is it mostly through the PH?

Is it worth taking the skin from the hips back? I’m certainly inclined to do this for the zebra as the strips look great on a pedestal. This is probably the only one worth doing this on?

Am I likely to get hit with extra from dip and pack by taking slightly extra cape off the animal for the shoulder mount? (Ignoring skinning backwards for thighs etc).

Euromounts: if I take a black wildebeest, common reedbuck or warty, I’ll have them euro mounted. Now while I’m happy to do euromounts myself, my understanding is that they’re pretty well cooked coming through dip and pack. Am I easier to have them to just do the euromounts themselves? It may save on vet fees at import as well?
The problem is I really don’t want them painted white, varnished or broken bones. All of which I can regulate if I do them myself,(shipping damage aside) but it depends what state they arrive in.

Any previous experiences would be great! As I say, there’s a lot that becomes out of my control from the salting process right through to arrival in the uk but I can try and be as organised as I can.

Cheers!

A photo of a fallow buck I did in the past, bit gleaming on a rare sunny day here but makes the post more interesting.

IMG_9495.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell your PH you want "pedestal style capes" and they will relay the message to the skinners. They do this for a living and understand they need to cut further back. As for the smaller remainder of the "backhide", some animals are worth keeping ie zebra, bushbuck, things with stripes, spots, patterns etc but I personally don't recommend keeping gemsbok, warthog, eland etc .

You have no choice but to receive the skulls already boiled and almost whitened anyway. I usually recommend going ahead and order them "euro" bc the longer they sit after boiling, and it might be 12-18 months before they reach you, my experience it is harder to get them white later especially warthogs !!

Buck Wild nailed it. I’ve never heard of”from the penis forward” and since you pay by the pound, I wouldn’t save that much. But it’s your creative vision so. . .
Monster fallow by the way, congrats!

Tell your PH you want "pedestal style capes" and they will relay the message to the skinners. They do this for a living and understand they need to cut further back. As for the smaller remainder of the "backhide", some animals are worth keeping ie zebra, bushbuck, things with stripes, spots, patterns etc but I personally don't recommend keeping gemsbok, warthog, eland etc .

You have no choice but to receive the skulls already boiled and almost whitened anyway. I usually recommend going ahead and order them "euro" bc the longer they sit after boiling, and it might be 12-18 months before they reach you, my experience it is harder to get them white later especially warthogs !!
Fair point. If they have to boil the life out of it anyway, it’s basically a euro mount at that stage anyway.
Mind you, that’s all I’m really after is a boiled skull and not them doing anything else to it so maybe dip and packed head is safer
Completely agree about the white side of things, I did a roe a week after skinning it and it made life much harder..
Buck Wild nailed it. I’ve never heard of”from the penis forward” and since you pay by the pound, I wouldn’t save that much. But it’s your creative vision so. . .
Monster fallow by the way, congrats!

I think he was just making a very fair point that you can’t have too much skin but you can have not enough.
I didn’t realise it was pay by the pound so that’s helpful. I wondered if it was charged at dip and pack by the ‘type of cut’ but weight does make sense.
Thanks! Very lucky with that fallow. My first and won’t get a better one. It’ll be does only going forwards I think!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's