What are my options for a current production crf 375 h&h rifle?

the Thread owner asked for a recommandation what make of gun can bring him through the years and make his buffalo hunt successful, without spending mucho dollares ?
Well, I read in here lots of recommendations, personal flavours and marketing advices, some posts even seem to push sales in here!
The facts are: The 375 H&H is a quiet long cartridge. It will not fit into standard Mauser action, it has to be worked/filed/grinded in! Means, taking off substantionel material from that perfect action.
The best example is Zastava. Standard mauser Action dressed for magnum cartridges.

If You look for the work, the gun has to do, and if dangerous game like buffalo is on the list, You want an action which is made for that long cartridge for reliable and perfect handling. Your life can depend on!
The cheapest way to get hold on a true "magnum" action is the CZ ZKK 602 or the CZ 550 in 375H&H.
For sure there is also the possibility for real Mauser Magnum, but needs much much more dollares in the end!
My advice: Get the one or other CZ in 375, pay Your gunsmith of trust some good money and let him change that rough eastern but really stout and precise rifle into a perl, You never will give away anymore!!

the Thread owner asked for a recommandation what make of gun can bring him through the years and make his buffalo hunt successful, without spending mucho dollares ?
Well, I read in here lots of recommendations, personal flavours and marketing advices, some posts even seem to push sales in here!
The facts are: The 375 H&H is a quiet long cartridge. It will not fit into standard Mauser action, it has to be worked/filed/grinded in! Means, taking off substantionel material from that perfect action.
The best example is Zastava. Standard mauser Action dressed for magnum cartridges.

If You look for the work, the gun has to do, and if dangerous game like buffalo is on the list, You want an action which is made for that long cartridge for reliable and perfect handling. Your life can depend on!
The cheapest way to get hold on a true "magnum" action is the CZ ZKK 602 or the CZ 550 in 375H&H.
For sure there is also the possibility for real Mauser Magnum, but needs much much more dollares in the end!
My advice: Get the one or other CZ in 375, pay Your gunsmith of trust some good money and let him change that rough eastern but really stout and precise rifle into a perl, You never will give away anymore!!
There is nothing wrong with a standard Mauser action converted to 375. A very slight amount of metal needs to be removed from the locking ring in order to feed shells up the ramp and eject loaded shells. If you think that makes them weak, take it up with Duane Weibe, Harry Selby, or Wally Johnson. Duane is a world famous gunmaker who builds those rifles all the time. Contact him and for $25 he'll send you a booklet to show you how it's done. Ruark's Harry Selby hunted most of his illustrious and long career backing up clients with a standard Mauser chambered in much harsher recoiling 416 Rigby. He killed a lifetime of buffalo, lions, and elephants with it. And he did it shooting a right-hand rifle left-handed. Obviously no feeding problems with his gun! Capstick's Wally Johnson had a very long career as an ivory hunter shooting thousands of elephants with only a standard action Mauser in 375. I see no reason for the OP to shy away from one if it becomes available. Or have one built. It's a lighter gun (slightly) with shorter bolt stroke. The actions are easier to find and MUCH cheaper than magnum Mauser actions. And they're plenty strong enough. What's not to like?

Or the OP can consider having a 404 Jeffery built on a standard Mauser action. No metal needs to be removed from the locking ring (8mm length loading ramp must be opened up but no further than the existing rim of locking ring). Slight amount of metal is removed from inside of rear locking ring to allow thicker shells to kick out but rear ring provides little or no strength for the action.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with a standard Mauser action converted to 375. A very slight amount of metal needs to be removed from the locking ring in order to feed shells up the ramp and eject loaded shells. If you think that makes them weak, take it up with Duane Weibe, Harry Selby, or Wally Johnson. Duane is a world famous gunmaker who builds those rifles all the time. Contact him and for $25 he'll send you a booklet to show you how it's done. Ruark's Harry Selby hunted most of his illustrious and long career backing up clients with a standard Mauser chambered in much harsher recoiling 416 Rigby. He killed a lifetime of buffalo, lions, and elephants with it. And he did it shooting a right-hand rifle left-handed. Obviously no feeding problems with his gun! Capstick's Wally Johnson had a very long career as an ivory hunter shooting thousands of elephants with only a standard action Mauser in 375. I see no reason for the OP to shy away from one if it becomes available. Or have one built. It's a lighter gun (slightly) with shorter bolt stroke. The actions are easier to find and MUCH cheaper than magnum Mauser actions. And they're plenty strong enough. What's not to like?

Or the OP can consider having a 404 Jeffery built on a standard Mauser action. No metal needs to be removed from the locking ring (8mm length loading ramp must be opened up but no further than the existing rim of locking ring). Slight amount of metal is removed from inside of rear locking ring to allow thicker shells to kick out but rear ring provides little or no strength for the action.
Correction: The rear ring on 98 Mauser is not "locking" except in an emergency when forward bolt lugs fail. Then the third emergency lug engages the rear ring.

Lightweight 70 (5 3/4 lbs.)

Based on Winchester 70.

Lightweight 70 (5 3/4 lbs.)

Based on Winchester 70.

Most up to and including 375 H&H
5 3/4 lbs. (May vary depending on caliber and options)
Customer supplied Winchester Model 70 Classic (control round
feed), then blueprinted
Lapped and face trued
Match grade stainless steel
Included stainless Quiet Slimbrake II
Blind
Matte stainless (Cerakote can be added. $375)
Hand laminated blend of Kevlar/Graphite and Boron, pillar glass bedded
See Finishes page
Custom
$3500 (plus customer-supplied action)

Last edited:
My favorite 375 in this price range is the Kimber Caprivi. They are great rifles but are currently not easy to find. I have a Ruger RSM and even though it is a bit heavier and bulkier than the Caprivi, it is a great shooter. Along with the Win Mo 70- any three of these are excellent choices.

Correction ... again. Wally Johnson's 375 was a 1938 Model 70, not a Mauser 98. Oops.

My favorite 375 in this price range is the Kimber Caprivi. They are great rifles but are currently not easy to find. I have a Ruger RSM and even though it is a bit heavier and bulkier than the Caprivi, it is a great shooter. Along with the Win Mo 70- any three of these are excellent choices.
I'm not seeing the Caprivi model or any African model on the Kimber website. Their magnum action apparently only goes up to 300WM.

I'm guessing this model has been discontinued?

Check out Winchester Model 70 Safari Express. Had a couple if I need another 375 or larger that is what I will get again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OLZErwin36

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]