What are my options for a current production crf 375 h&h rifle?

Would a blaser r8 be any more/less reliable than a current production m70?
I just have gotten into the Blaser R8 game. While I am loving it they do have their pros and cons.
Pros
For me cool as hell. (This is subjective)

Fastest reloading

I believe as reliable as traditional CRF rifle

About 4 inches shorter than the same traditional rifle the the same length barrel.

Multiple barrels make combo hunts a breeze.

Cons
Eye watering expensive. Not just rifle itself barrels are $1100 and up. Scope mounts are $450 each.
Good luck. I went through the same process. Beema has a beautiful CZ550 he has been trying to sell that while not cheap would everything anyone could want

Beema has a beautiful CZ550 he has been trying to sell that while not cheap would everything anyone could want
I’ve not had a CZ550 for about 4 years but @Altitude sickness does.

Need to clarify something about the Blaser R8. Technically it is a push-feed action. However I have cycled the action upside down very slowly and the cartridges have never come out.

Next is cost. Yes, the Blaser is expensive but I would also argue that you are getting a high end DG ready rifle for about the same money as a Dakota 76.

I just have gotten into the Blaser R8 game. While I am loving it they do have their pros and cons.
Pros
For me cool as hell. (This is subjective)

Fastest reloading

I believe as reliable as traditional CRF rifle

About 4 inches shorter than the same traditional rifle the the same length barrel.

Multiple barrels make combo hunts a breeze.

Cons
Eye watering expensive. Not just rifle itself barrels are $1100 and up. Scope mounts are $450 each.
Good luck. I went through the same process. Beema has a beautiful CZ550 he has been trying to sell that while not cheap would everything anyone could want
I don’t recall anyone ever saying you need to take an R8 to a smith to make a reliable accurate shooter. 98s and 70s are excellent rifles. But most I know spend R8 money to turn them into what they want

Find a kimber caprivi, or win m70. The other alternative is to change your budget and get somewhere between 5-10k, buy a rifle of a lifetime and use it a lot for a long time.

R8’s are pretty cool and very functional IMO but I truly don’t understand why R8 guys are always trying so hard to convince other guys that they are the way to go.

Find a kimber caprivi, or win m70. The other alternative is to change your budget and get somewhere between 5-10k, buy a rifle of a lifetime and use it a lot for a long time.

R8’s are pretty cool and very functional IMO but I truly don’t understand why R8 guys are always trying so hard to convince other guys that they are the way to go.
Just answering the questions. I care not if you own one or not. But it's clear you never have

OP asked about current production : add Bergara to that list.

Just answering the questions. I care not if you own one or not. But it's clear you never have
Actually was a sales rep for them for about 4 years, so yes I have owned them, trained people on them and sold them to dealers. It’s a good rifle, nothing wrong with them but they truly are a Frankenstein gun, come off automated machines in parts then assembled. Comparing an r8 to a custom Mauser that some guy spent a lifetime developing the skill to build properly is not a comparison, it’s a contrast.

OP asked about current production : add Bergara to that list.
Bergera actions are push-feed and have dual extractors. OP is looking for a CRF but they are good quality rifles.

Do they make a DG legal rifle? I didn’t see anything on their website bigger than .30 caliber.

Where is the best place to find one?

What part of the country do you live in?

If you’re in DFW, you can almost always find one or two at McClelland Gun Shop over near Garland. Or most of the gun shows on the north end of town will typically have one on a table somewhere…

Not sure about other parts of the state

All begara are push feed to my knowledge.. they are based on the rem 700 platform

Is that a CRF action?
Never handled one. CRF not mentioned on the website. Still, a bit refreshing to see a 'modern rifle' in 375

In your budget, I’d recommend a Mauser of some sort. Modifications you may want are easy to do on a 98 mauser, parts are plentiful, every gunsmith knows how to work on them. The “others” out there are proprietary renditions of a Mauser and that means proprietary repair parts.

The one part of the plot that modern “American” rifles have missed, is the need for a rapid shot from a standing position. Almost all American CRF rifles have high-combed Monte Carlo stocks. These stocks are designed to shoot higher magnification optics from a bench position or shooting prone. Safari hunts aren’t conducted from shooting benches or laying prone.

So for those reasons, leaning more towards British Mausers or bespoke American mausers with their low profile combs is preferred for safaris. A straight tubed scope in extra low rings gets your optical sight picture to be in line with your iron sight picture, exactly what you want for a prompt and effective shot off shooting sticks or free hand.

My conclusion: In your budget range, I’d be looking for a British style low comb stock built on a 98 Mauser action. Options are many, with prices from $5000 to $500,000 to suit the need.

One more thing to ponder is taking the most extreme example. If you had infinite money and you wanted the finest 375HH safari rifle money could possibly buy, where would it be made, to what aesthetic style, and on what action? Look no further than the finest auction houses in the world for your answer. 99.99% of them would be a 98 mauser built in either Britain or Germany and it would be stocked in British low-comb style. (Honorable mention at the lower-end $50k price point would be American Griffin & Howe, Ramirez, or Smithson in the English style)

So if that’s the half million dollar gun answer for those with infinite resources, its probably the right answer to look for that genre of rifle in a more basic grade even if your budget is a fraction of that amount.
The stocks on my 404J and my 03A3 30-06 are both Monte Carlo and both wear scopes. With proper bases and rings they aquire instantly when the scope is on or quick detached. Low comb stock is more difficult to acquire the scope. Can't get it low enough. Both my rifles have Winchester Model 70 Safari Express iron sights. Rear sight is adjustable all ways but I had to change the front sight ramp on 404 due to thicker barrel profile (used sights). I would, however, advise a low semi-Monte Carlo stock over the high cheek variety for heavy recoil rifle. Low comb straight stock thumper guns are typically for iron sights only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NolanMesse

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?