What’s the thoughts on the .223 on all plains game with a match bullet trend ?

poco

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
I’m truly baffled with these guys post on rockslide that , a .223 , 22cm , 22-250 ,ect
Shooting a 77gr match bullet , is more than adequate for hunting kudos, eland , gembuck , waterbuck, ect ( large PG ) , shooting a unbonded 22cal explosive bullet through the ribs , seems like a disaster to me , yet there are multiple people saying explosive small caliber is more effective then say a 7x57 with a bonded bullet.
What’s your opinion? I’m sure you can see I disagree

One response
“”
Put a 2-3 or 4" hole in the lungs of the toughest oryx, blue wildebeest, zebra or whatever with one of the little guys, and all the theories about the African animals being magically tougher that the rest of the world´s will fall to pieces.
Someone mentioned he had killed 10 oryx, and being that a great experience, let me say I have shot 20, this year, just to put things in perspective.
And no, you should not take a PH judgement on these things as the word of God, at least not any PH´s, since many of them are simply not interested and pay no attention to these things at least at the level some of us do.
Just my 2 cents.””

Big fat NO GO in my opinion. Can it be done? Of course it can, but I'd be willing to bet for every spectacular success, there will be several spectacular failures.

I'd also be willing to bet these shooters that think the larger antelope are so easily killed have never hunted them .

I've tracked animals that were hit with to little steam, and the sick feeling it puts in my stomach is something I don't care to repeat.

Barnes makes a .224 62g TTSX that would be a killing machine with the right cartridge, rifle and shooter...
No way would I want to see anyone doing it with varmint or match bullets....In any caliber....

@poco

Someone mentioned he had killed 10 oryx, and being that a great experience, let me say I have shot 20, this year, just to put things in perspective.

Not this guy could or couldn't have hunted Africa with a 22 caliber centerfire. But, I do find it a bit much; him saying he has shot 20 oryx/gemsbok in one year.

And no, you should not take a PH judgement on these things as the word of God, at least not any PH´s, since many of them are simply not interested and pay no attention to these things at least at the level some of us do.

A client shows up with a 223/ 5.56, 22CM, 22-250 and with this attitude,...and wanting to hunt the bigger PG species. I see an instant personality conflict.

I'll say BS! Then demand to see photos, name(s) and location(s) of the outfitter(s) and PH(s) he hunted with, and have a copy of the country or countries hunting regulations/ laws allowing the use of 22 caliber centerfire so I can verify his claim.

The whole truth would most likely be:

He showed up with his 22 centerfire to hunt the smaller and medium size PG. And looked over a herd of 20 oryx/gemsbok for a shooter animal.

OR

Is he omitting he had to use a bigger caliber rental rifle to shoot his claimed 20 oryx/gemsbok?

He claims he shot 20 oryx this year.

Questions are:

a) How many did he kill with his 22 centerfire?
b) How many shots did it take him per oryx?
c) How many wounded animals werer killed by his PH(s) using a proper caliber rifle?
d) How many animals were lost?
e) How many animals were recovered?

Is killing 20 oryx in a year plausible? Yes.
Is killing them with a 22-250 plausible? Maybe.
Using a varmit or match "exploding" bullet? Not likely.

Barnes makes a .224 62g TTSX that would be a killing machine with the right cartridge, rifle and shooter...
No way would I want to see anyone doing it with varmint or match bullets....In any caliber....
Well I guess if they were loaded in a .22creedmoor it would change the odds of losing game with a new cartridge that excels past 600m. Think of the possibilities.

While planning my eland hunt, several PH's sent me pics of bulls that allegedly (and apparently) weighed in at about 1 ton. We also talked about failure to cleanly kill them with several cartridges including a 308, a 6.5CM and others. While I am a fan of light rifles in general, this accumulated data prompted me to take a 300 Win Mag on my eland hunt, and to use a 200 grain Barnes at 2870fps. This load proved just right. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember two mule deer bucks that I shot with a 223 and 55 grain Win soft point. Both with poor results, and only one recovered. There was no excuse for such behavior on my part, and it will never happen again. Varmint bullets are for varmints. Plains game deserves better.....FWB

I’m truly baffled with these guys post on rockslide that , a .223 , 22cm , 22-250 ,ect
Shooting a 77gr match bullet , is more than adequate for hunting kudos, eland , gembuck , waterbuck, ect ( large PG ) , shooting a unbonded 22cal explosive bullet through the ribs , seems like a disaster to me , yet there are multiple people saying explosive small caliber is more effective then say a 7x57 with a bonded bullet.

One response
“”
Put a 2-3 or 4" hole in the lungs of the toughest oryx, blue wildebeest, zebra or whatever with one of the little guys, and all the theories about the African animals being magically tougher that the rest of the world´s will fall to pieces.
Just my 2 cents.””
What are you doing on Rockslide? That forum is a shithole. Ugh!

Any PH that lets a client hunt plains game with .223 should lose his license. I remember when they handed me an M16 at the range during basic training 1972. "Are you kidding me? Our guys in Vietnam are trying to kill people with these pea shooters?" Drill sergeant explained Pentagon logic: six Vietcong needed to take care of every wounded. That's seven Cong removed from combat. Someone should have told them wounded enemy is still capable of returning fire and killing our soldiers. Dead ones not so much.

One response
“”
Just my 2 cents.””
Just the fact that there is a group of wannabe's sitting around agreeing that a .223 is good for all plains game tells me all I need to now.

Average age: 19 (up to 40 and living in parent's basement)
Favourite pastime: Xbox or Playstation
Favourite argument: which of the above is better
Best game to get ready for .223 Safari: Call of Duty
Brain cells: 4 (in their group of 7)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonidaGav

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!