What’s the latest on sticks?

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I recently used some Primos trigger sticks loaned by a club member. You can virtually deploy them with one hand but I see they are not cheap.
I do have a basic set of sticks with 3 legs but having used what I think were Viper Flex quad sticks I’m inclined to like those.
I have read about the Blaser quad sticks, some Carbon fibre versions of various brands etc.
What are peoples latest thoughts or preferences on sticks?

My favorite are 4 stable sticks aluminum version. They are simple, light and not really anything to break also each to carry in one hand all day. I like viper flex as well but find them much bulkier and considerably more expensive. Blaser’s quad sticks appear too much of a good thing to me, more to break and not as easy to pack. For a tripod, trigger sticks are nice but again more parts that can break I’d rather have simple. I own a set of bog pods. I like them but they are bulky.

Anyone tried the bog pod death grip?

I've had a Primos for many years. They are expensive but extremely well made and serve multiple purposes. Mine pulls double duty as a stand for my chronograph.

Anyone tried the bog pod death grip?
No, I know the one you mean but I think they are too heavy to carry in the field and seem to be used from a static location or vantage point.

Check out Rudolph shooting sticks. My ph was using them and I liked them so much I bought my own pair when I got home-

I've had a Primos for many years. They are expensive but extremely well made and serve multiple purposes. Mine pulls double duty as a stand for my chronograph.
Another vote for the Primos trigger sticks. I’ve added some marine protection spray to the legs help with corrosion protection as I read In reviews that’s where they had problems. Also a bit of tape on the lower legs to help take the tinny noise away when hitting sticks and the like when you walk through the bush.

I’ve had the quad sticks and didn’t like how they deployed, how they folded under heavy recoil and were close to useless on uneven terrain. Sold them to another AH member who I hope is enjoying them.

I currently I have two sets of BOG-POD tripod sticks, the RLD-3 and Adrenaline. The Adrenaline are the updated version of the RLD-3 and work great. They collapse down small enough to pack in luggage and are easy to deploy.

I’ve seen three sets of the Jim Shockey Trigger Sticks. Two of them were owned by my PH and he was trying to assemble one working set and use the other as spare parts. They don’t work well when they get any grit, grime, mud, snow…etc in the mechanism. The last pair was a gift to me that I sold almost immediately.

The ASC sticks are really good and by all accounts worth the money. My issue with them is how heavy they are and can be hard to fit into luggage. Maybe if they were carbon fiber and broke down smaller, I’d be more willing to fork out the money Jim’s asking, but for just being wood…I’ll pass.

I just use these Chris. Simple, light and inexpensive…

Attachments

• IMG_3226.png
    IMG_3226.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 30
First the Bog Pod and now I am getting used to the 4 Steady Sticks. I really am better with them vs the Bog Pod.

I’ve had the quad sticks and didn’t like how they deployed, how they folded under heavy recoil and were close to useless on uneven terrain. Sold them to another AH member who I hope is enjoying them.

I currently I have two sets of BOG-POD tripod sticks, the RLD-3 and Adrenaline. The Adrenaline are the updated version of the RLD-3 and work great. They collapse down small enough to pack in luggage and are easy to deploy.

I’ve seen three sets of the Jim Shockey Trigger Sticks. Two of them were owned by my PH and he was trying to assemble one working set and use the other as spare parts. They don’t work well when they get any grit, grime, mud, snow…etc in the mechanism. The last pair was a gift to me that I sold almost immediately.

The ASC sticks are really good and by all accounts worth the money. My issue with them is how heavy they are and can be hard to fit into luggage. Maybe if they were carbon fiber and broke down smaller, I’d be more willing to fork out the money Jim’s asking, but for just being wood…I’ll pass.
What model of quad stick were you using? I really can’t imagine the sticks folding under recoil unless your technique was that incorrect. I’ve shot 4 stable sticks, viper flex, gun stix, and Rudolph quad sticks. They all deploy and handle recoil about the same. I’ve never seen them fold or even start to fold but with my 458 I do see the rifle wanting to jump out of the front stick because you don’t bear the same weight into quad sticks you do a tripod. I’ve also used them a lot in uneven ground so I’ve yet to understand that comment when it gets made. Their downside comes shooting calibers above 375 but calibers above 375 are also used almost exclusively less than 100 yards so it defeats using quad sticks for added accuracy anyway. The other downside is on ground that prevents pivoting the sticks. I haven’t seen ground in South Africa, Namibia, or Zimbabwe that wasn’t suited to them yet including rocky areas. The worm mounds in Cameroon made them difficult to use there though. The difference between tripods and quad sticks is you have to practice to be accurate with a tripod while you have to practice how to be fast with quad sticks.

The Primos Gen 3 Trigger Sticks are a great option. I use them when practicing here in the states and often take them with me when hunting out west. For $125 they’re much cheaper than the African Sporting Creations ones. Those are my personal favorite sticks.

I’ve used the stable 4 legged sticks in Namibia. They were great except when needing to pan right/left.

The Primos Gen 3 Trigger Sticks are a great option. I use them when practicing here in the states and often take them with me when hunting out west. For $125 they’re much cheaper than the African Sporting Creations ones. Those are my personal favorite sticks.

I’ve used the stable 4 legged sticks in Namibia. They were great except when needing to pan right/left.
Do you remember if the quad sticks you used had a front V or a flat front? The flat front gives a lot of ability to pan left or right. I’d prefer a tripod over quad sticks with a V though because it prevents left right movement like you described.

Do you remember if the quad sticks you used had a front V or a flat front? The flat front gives a lot of ability to pan left or right. I’d prefer a tripod over quad sticks with a V though because it prevents left right movement like you described.
They had the flat top. There was some panning but not enough in multiple situations.

What model of quad stick were you using? I really can’t imagine the sticks folding under recoil unless your technique was that incorrect. I’ve shot 4 stable sticks, viper flex, gun stix, and Rudolph quad sticks. They all deploy and handle recoil about the same. I’ve never seen them fold or even start to fold but with my 458 I do see the rifle wanting to jump out of the front stick because you don’t bear the same weight into quad sticks you do a tripod. I’ve also used them a lot in uneven ground so I’ve yet to understand that comment when it gets made. Their downside comes shooting calibers above 375 but calibers above 375 are also used almost exclusively less than 100 yards so it defeats using quad sticks for added accuracy anyway. The other downside is on ground that prevents pivoting the sticks. I haven’t seen ground in South Africa, Namibia, or Zimbabwe that wasn’t suited to them yet including rocky areas. The worm mounds in Cameroon made them difficult to use there though. The difference between tripods and quad sticks is you have to practice to be accurate with a tripod while you have to practice how to be fast with quad sticks.
I will concede that the quad sticks are awesome for sighting in provided a fifth leg is added. They reduce the punishment derived from the normally used bench. For that purpose, they are perfect.

However, I tried to use them several times at the range, simulating a hunting scenario...always ended up a cluster F. They don't deploy quickly as you mentioned. Setting up left to right, especially at longer distances results in having to make adjustments to the position of the "feet" of the sticks. Under recoil I always seem to hit one of the legs or the rifle forend would lift off the front rest. This would result in the legs collapsing or opening too far...or I'd have to put some kind of string between the legs to prevent this. Which is awesome to have this dangling off the sticks to get caught on stuff.

I tried using them on the side of a mountain while hiking, again not good. I found myself having to search for a level spot to set them up. Imagine having to do this when game is present and you are trying to be sneaky? At this point the advantage in my mind had shifted to the tripod.

The tripod sticks are easier for both me and my wife. We are plenty accurate out to the distances we hunt at and are well aware of our limitations. Plus it only takes a couple of minutes with the tracker who will be carrying the sticks to sort out how we like them deployed. It's just what we like.

The good thing here is that we all have choices and it's my opinion that the quad and tripod sticks offer a significant advantage in nearly any hunting scenario over mono or bipod sticks. Whichever you decide to choose, make sure you are well practiced in their deployment, use and limitations. In a hunting scenario, taking time to sort this out can result in the game getting away or even worse, a poorly executed shot.

African sporting creations

Current set is a Primos Trigger stick tripod. I really like them. I decided not to take them last year to Africa because I was told my PH would have good commercial shooting sticks or tripod sticks. Mine literally had sticks. No big deal they got the job done. Next year I will take my sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WMHSophie5

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.