What’s the latest on sticks?

Definately worth a visit - a lot of cool items to see at Cleavers in particular.

^ @CoElkHunter - my own deisgn - borrowed from YouTube ;)
@Tintin
Did a tour of the Colt room with Tony Cleaver. An absolutely outstanding room. Biggest privately owned Colt collection in the world from memory.
Bob

Couple more items to make things even more stable...

Mine arrived. Lots of setup and dry fire practice this weekend. Live fire on Monday...

Gratuitous pic:

20240920_152228.jpg

Couple more items to make things even more stable...
I’ve used the 5th leg before. I have not used a leg loop or even seen one before but both are too much of a good thing to me. Maybe for a specific application but it takes away their ability to be a general purpose stick and also provides a lot of opportunity to hang up on brush. I reliably shoot good groups at 300 yards off my sticks just can’t see the need for additional features when looking at their drawbacks. All left and right movement has already been removed. It’s just controlling vertical movement with quad sticks.

I’ve used the 5th leg before. I have not used a leg loop or even seen one before but both are too much of a good thing to me. Maybe for a specific application but it takes away their ability to be a general purpose stick and also provides a lot of opportunity to hang up on brush. I reliably shoot good groups at 300 yards off my sticks just can’t see the need for additional features when looking at their drawbacks. All left and right movement has already been removed. It’s just controlling vertical movement with quad sticks.
I see it as a good way to make sticks into a standing bench for confirming zero. Not a big deal for a 375H&H, but moving into the .400's it could be a real advantage. I'll most likely make a stability loop from a small ratchet strap (where the ratchet is broken) and some physical therapy tubing for the cost of nearly nothing.

Field use of this would be limited IMO as it seems like one more thing that can go wrong when trying to get a shot on game. We will practice with just the sticks and see how it goes from there.

I use Gunstix and find them superior to any 3-legged gun support. They provide a much more steady rest, especially for longer shots. If I have to use a 3-legged shooting stick, it’s wood instead of Trigger Sticks. I’m not impressed with the quality of trigger sticks, they seem a bit flimsy to me.

@CoElkHunter
Nah mate them thar is orstray-yun red neck sticks. Mine have class. I use al-ume- ini- num tubing sprayed with left over rattle can paint @Forrest Halley sent me. They come with rubber feet ir spike feet for slippery surfaces in sizes for bench rest up to bloody tall.
Bob
1. It's usss-stral-yuhhn. Anybody who's been on the forum more than five minutes has received a call from you and heard this.
2. I was wondering where that can went. I have this Leupold I needed to do up right.
3. I've reactivated my 1907 pattern sling and got it tuned up for the current project deer season. All set for rice paddy prone or cheater's off hand. I'm not carrying sticks in the sticks.

I could be a quad-stick convert. Viper Flex Pro To Go showed up today and they are a top quality piece of kit. I'm still sorting out a few things doing dry fire, but I know I'll be more consistently accurate with these than my BOG-POD Adrenaline tripod sticks. My wife and I will need to get them out on the range for confirmation, but it's looking good.

First to go is the little clip at the bottom of the legs that hold them together. I can put it back on, but it makes them difficult to deploy quickly.
1727123789642.png

Next is something to secure the distance between the yokes. For now it's a piece of 550 cord with a taut-line hitch on the back and a hole with a knot on the front. Nothing permanent, just working through stuff.
1727123915906.png

@BeeMaa

Yeah, that clippy thing at the bottom is a pain and could cost an animal. Good chance mine will come off, too. Not sure if a cord between the yokes is needed or not though - seems to just be or learning curve thing. @375Fox has it down pat in his videos.

So far, I like the increased stability of having the rear yoke all the way back against the sling.

I had mine out today and burned a bunch of 6.5 and .22 on various steel, plus a few 338 WM on paper to get the learning going. Spent 10 or so of the 6.5 at 325 Yards. Fairly decent groups at 325 for a first time out, though not spectacular by any means - right off the bat.

Best was 3 of 3 at about MOA at my usual Zero distance of 219 Yards after getting things sorted out some.

My only complaint so far is [my] confusion when adjusting from fully collapsed to chin tall. Seems to take a lot longer that it should. I tend to pull or push on the wrong section or something. Possibly a case of Biden brain. Incurable, or so I hear. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?