Waterbuck opinion

Yikes,
You’re on this forum. You have a ton of outfitters and resources to use. Don’t get bitter with Africa. You have really had a cheap learning lessontake it from me.Now cinch your belt up and ask the people here.
You can get 15-20 quality quality outfitters here! Probably more!! Do your homework on the animals you want to hunt. Go to a Cabelas or Scheels and look at some trophies.

DSC & SCI aren't "local" / "accessible" for myself.
AH Forum is the most practical and resource rich 'hub' that I have.
Neither are close to me either but if you’re looking to spend 10k+ on an overseas experience, it may be worth taking the trip and speaking to outfits in person. As 375fox mentioned, many sponsors cater to a certain type of hunter.

Neither show is local or practical for myself either but the more safaris you go on and the more specific of an experience you are looking for the more important they become. Nothing wrong with sticking to sponsors for a first safari (honestly it’s a good idea) but saying you will never consider a non-sponsor ever is thinking small.
Search websites. Find something of interest ask about the outfitter here. And check for them on Facebook.

This is the way I figure it'll go down, the following is hypothetical.

I have booked my first African Hunt (& Visit) with ABC123 Safaris whom are sponsored on AH!

The hunt was so successful and surpassed all personal expectations that I immediately want to book another hunt when I get back home, SO I DO!

Except...

ABC123 Safaris cannot offer me the "game" that I specifically seek on my 2nd hunt...

However...

The Boss of ABC123 Safaris assures me that there is another outfitter much larger than themselves (DEF456 Safaris) whom has the game I seek but isn't sponsored on AH... The Boss of ABC123 Safaris confidently tells me that DEF456 Safaris will give me an experience to remember the same way his outfit did at ABC123 Safaris.

So I book my 2nd African Hunt with DEF456 Safaris & have as much fun (maybe more) with DEF456 Safaris! During my stay at DEF456 Safaris I am eating in the mess hall alone but am approached by one/sum fellow holidaying hunters and they ask if they can join me for my meal, we get to talking, my judgement tells me they are good people, one of the hunters mentions an outfitter called GHI789 Safaris and was wondering if I had ever been there too which I answer no only to have all the hunters perk up excitedly and repeatedly recommend GHI789 Safaris particularly for X species, at first I was curious but now they have my attention and I make a mental note.

After the meal we go our separate ways and as I do I happen to bump into my PH/Outfitter Boss and I politely ask if they have ever heard of GHI789 Safaris before? The PH/Outfitter Boss smiles broadly saying yes and if I seek out 'X' species then there is no better than GHI789 Safaris.............

I mean I could probably keep going on but this is the way I see it going down, as fantasy / accurate as it sounds.

And it all started with the Sponsored Outfitter.

I have booked my first African Hunt (& Visit) with ABC123 Safaris whom are sponsored on AH!

The hunt was so successful and surpassed all personal expectations that I immediately want to book another hunt when I get back home, SO I DO!

Except...

ABC123 Safaris cannot offer me the "game" that I specifically seek on my 2nd hunt...

However...

The Boss of ABC123 Safaris assures me that there is another outfitter much larger than themselves (DEF456 Safaris) whom has the game I seek but isn't sponsored on AH... The Boss of ABC123 Safaris confidently tells me that DEF456 Safaris will give me an experience to remember the same way his outfit did at ABC123 Safaris.

So I book my 2nd African Hunt with DEF456 Safaris & have as much fun (maybe more) with DEF456 Safaris! During my stay at DEF456 Safaris I am eating in the mess hall alone but am approached by one/sum fellow holidaying hunters and they ask if they can join me for my meal, we get to talking, my judgement tells me they are good people, one of the hunters mentions an outfitter called GHI789 Safaris and was wondering if I had ever been there too which I answer no only to have all the hunters perk up excitedly and repeatedly recommend GHI789 Safaris particularly for X species, at first I was curious but now they have my attention and I make a mental note.

After the meal we go our separate ways and as I do I happen to bump into my PH/Outfitter Boss and I politely ask if they have ever heard of GHI789 Safaris before? The PH/Outfitter Boss smiles broadly saying yes and if I seek out 'X' species then there is no better than GHI789 Safaris.............

I mean I could probably keep going on but this is the way I see it going down, as fantasy / accurate as it sounds.

IMG_6393.jpeg

"hypothetical" - I've never been, I've mentioned that more than a few times now... Or are you picking and choosin'?

Except...

However...

I think I actually follow what you're saying here. I also think you are overthinking it a bit and tying yourself up unnecessarily.

I can't speak for all outfitters, I can only speak for @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. Within South Africa we hunt a few different places (and also in other countries btw) that each has it's own specialties Let's say for discussion you come hunt with us at any of those locations. You have a good hunt and after getting back home at some point you decide you want to come back to Africa. But this time it's for a species that isn't in one of the areas we normally hunt.

Let's say that happens to be Blue Duiker, again just for the sake of discussion. One of two possible paths I can see at this point.

The first is you contact us stating your desire to hunt one. The response would be that we don't have those on the properties we normally hunt, however we have in the past had this same scenario. And as such we know of places in the Eastern Cape where you could connect on one. You book with us, and we take you there.

The second path is you do your own research and come back and ask me about an outfitter in the Eastern Cape. Honestly if I know of the outfitter and their reputation is good, I will tell you that. If I've never heard of the outfitter, I'm going to tell you that too. If I know of the outfitter and their reputation is not good......well that's a sticky situation. For me personally I don't think it's kosher to represent one outfitter and to bad mouth another outfitter, even if I think they deserve it. However I would not want to misguide someone either and have them get burned. So my response would be something along the line of yes I know of the outfitter and that would be about all I'd say. I would hope that sends a message of be careful.

Don't outwit yourself here. It can seem like a daunting task picking a good outfit to hunt with. But if you do your research relying on more than just a couple/few hunt reports and ask enough questions, you'll find a good one.

I think I actually follow what you're saying here. I also think you are overthinking it a bit and tying yourself up unnecessarily.

I can't speak for all outfitters, I can only speak for @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. Within South Africa we hunt a few different places (and also in other countries btw) that each has it's own specialties Let's say for discussion you come hunt with us at any of those locations. You have a good hunt and after getting back home at some point you decide you want to come back to Africa. But this time it's for a species that isn't in one of the areas we normally hunt.

Let's say that happens to be Blue Duiker, again just for the sake of discussion. One of two possible paths I can see at this point.

The first is you contact us stating your desire to hunt one. The response would be that we don't have those on the properties we normally hunt, however we have in the past had this same scenario. And as such we know of places in the Eastern Cape where you could connect on one. You book with us, and we take you there.

The second path is you do your own research and come back and ask me about an outfitter in the Eastern Cape. Honestly if I know of the outfitter and their reputation is good, I will tell you that. If I've never heard of the outfitter, I'm going to tell you that too. If I know of the outfitter and their reputation is not good......well that's a sticky situation. For me personally I don't think it's kosher to represent one outfitter and to bad mouth another outfitter, even if I think they deserve it. However I would not want to misguide someone either and have them get burned. So my response would be something along the line of yes I know of the outfitter and that would be about all I'd say. I would hope that sends a message of be careful.

Don't outwit yourself here. It can seem like a daunting task picking a good outfit to hunt with. But if you do your research relying on more than just a couple/few hunt reports and ask enough questions, you'll find a good one.

You understand, your response is exactly what I wrote but in your own words, it's encouraging to read let alone from a sponsored outfitter.

But...what do you mean by "outwit myself"? Are you talking about me trying to find the best sponsored outfitter? Best price? Best trophy? Best Location? Best something? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "over thinking / outwitting" here?

I view all the sponsored outfitters as "equally safe" for a good hunt & the logically safest starting point (not be conned / get your moneys worth).

I view all the sponsored outfitters as "equally safe" for a good hunt & the logically safest starting point (not be conned / get your moneys worth).
I think you won’t get conned by anyone on this site, but that should be only part of the equation. It’s more of what type of hunt to you want and what are your expectations of how it should go. What do you want to hunt ? Plains game ? Dangerous game? Do you want to hunt one large property where you stay within the boundaries to hunt all species, or do you want to hunt a bunch of small farms where you drive a few hours each day? Or do you want to hunt a wild area without fences and just go with the flow of what animals you come across?

There’s is a lot more to being conned then just someone outright lying to you. You could believe your hunt is going to be like xyx-but actually pan out to be dfp- not anything you expect or want.

If they have a well run business, good track record, and lots of return clients, why pay for advertising they don't need?
Reputation is everything. Case in point is I book my favorite places the minute booking opens, about 9 months before season starts. Risky because they only produce price lists a month before. But still, worth the effort. They never have a open week even though they've a bit of a farmer's bedside manner. Anyway, they're easy to like, good people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KoreyRied3

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]