Waterbuck opinion

That seems a two way street. Personally I've never bought an auction hunt, not sure I ever will. But the OP added days and other animals to make it a bit more worthwhile for the outfitter and help make it less than a total loss. Not sure he deserved a crap hunt.
Yep. That bit about taking the client's gun and shooting the giraffe for him definitely pushed this hunt into the crap zone.

I dinged a kudu bull two years ago. Next morning as we were getting ready to leave the lodge, my PH asked if it was okay for him to bring a gun for a change so we could split up. I told him it would not be okay if he didn't. Rather surprised that he would even ask. A wounded animal needs to have suffering ended. Pull out all the stops. He did shoot it the next day while I was with the beaters driving a canyon. Good! For giraffe I cannot imagine a PH not having a backup rifle. I have heard of them going after people. Getting kicked by one could easily be a sixty yard field goal! But more importantly they need to be put down someplace where machinery can get to them. You don't just throw a giraffe in a sail and walk it out. A huge carcass like that has to be in the cooler fast or it's all jackal bait.

Last edited:
Our hunt was won at a Friend's of the NRA event, 5 day hunt for a group of 4 and was EXTREMELY AFFORDABLE. Now the price list for the critters was high compared to other lodges, but we were treated with kindness and respect from all levels of the facility. I would not hesitate one second for another opportunity to hunt this property, but what do I know, only been to Africa once.

https://www.wwbeest.com/Wild_Wildebeest_Lodge/Home.html

You buy a 5 day all inclusive for 2 to the Bahamas for the bargain price of only $500 and is " shocked" when your trip sucked. You been to the Bahamas 4 times before but THIS time you you choose to roll the dice, not very smart from you , putting the hunt and outfit aside
First I should tell you I have been on 6 different hunts around the world from auction hunts. I have friends and have met other hunters on auction hunts and all had a good time. It wasn't like I was a guy just coming to shot the donated animal and then leaving. Just because it's a auction hunt doesn't mean the customer deserve bad treatment. Putting all auction hunts and all hunters that buy a auction hunt into one Umbrella group is wrong. Last year I met a PH on a auction hunt that was wonder. I killed my donated animal which was a golden wildebeast on the first day. Then I added klipspringer, steinbuck, duiker, honey badger, civet, genet, porcupine, black Impala, white flank Impala, and saddlepack Impala. Once again I will say some hunters like meeting new people and seeing new places. Yes you risk getting a bad place. But the same could happen with a full price place. I'm ok with the risk I took. I wrote the posts as a warning for any other future potential clients.

My PH's wife once asked me why I'm not smiling in the posed photos. "One of God's beautiful creations has just died. Should I be overjoyed about that?"

I have to disagree with you on this on Ontario, and I get that it's a personal thing.

One of my hunting buddies never smiles, and I harass him about it. His response is "act like you've been there before."

I call BS on that. If it ever gets to the point where I don't smile over a successful hunt, then it's not a matter of "acting like I've been there before." It has moved into the realm of "I've been there too damn long" and I need to find something else to do.

Success at any thing should be a cause for joy. After all the many hunting adventures during which I have experienced success, over the course of my 57 years, each and every time feels like the first time, and my face will show it. I am a Bible believing Christian. I get what you say. I have reverence for the animal I have just killed. But I also recognize success is not guaranteed, and I find joy in succeeding.

To the post's author, my apologies for going down a rabbit hole. And if any of you are of a mindset like Ontario's, I respect your right to approach your successes that way. But for me, I'm going to smile. I'm going to feel exuberant. :A Thumbs Up: And when my hunting buddies succeed? They know that hugs, verbal congrats, and fist bumps are coming.

Maybe, now, just maybe.....if you spend a lot of money in a supposedly magnificent hunt in Tanzania, and well... it doesn´t turn out to be that great, you will not post about it...just saying !

On the other hand it´s just statistics, how many hunts are done in RSA against other countries ?
I can assure you that these companies would not be in business in Tanzania if they had any sort of negatives coming from a hunt.

Far too many gauge hunt quality on how may animals they kill for the wall vs the over all experience. SA seems to support the wack and stack model far to well.

I can assure you that these companies would not be in business in Tanzania if they had any sort of negatives coming from a hunt.

Far too many gauge hunt quality on how may animals they kill for the wall vs the over all experience. SA seems to support the wack and stack model far to well.
I got a similar feeling on your wack and stack observation. I'm not an all out 110% devoted hunter by any means, but I did feel like the challenge was low. But with only a 5 day hunt, it gave us the extra opportunity that we would not otherwise had the time for.

Generally speaking I have to agree with you on that, but I will not label every SA Oufitter as a "wack & stack" operation, some will offer you the challenge to get the right trophy, if you are willing to work for it. It has taken me days of hunting to get some of mine.

All this coming from one who has experienced two bad safaris out of eight, so yes, you get both.

:D Cheers:

Last edited:
I got a similar feeling on your wack and stack observation. I'm not an all out 110% devoted hunter by any means, but I did feel like the challenge was low. But with only a 5 day hunt, it gave us the extra opportunity that we would not otherwise had the time for.
There are reputable operations who provide a true hunting experience in SA. But the country has too many cracks in the system for negative operations

That cut on the neck of giraffe will be easily repaired by a taxidermist. You might be able to see it, but it won’t stand out. Damage to the skull is a bigger problem.

Maybe this isn't the right place for this, but I feel like I need to say something.

I get that RSA has some bad apples, as well as a very large spectrum of experiences - even with the solid, reputable outfitters. I have not hunted elsewhere so I can't comment on other countries.

Just as an example... I have hunted twice with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS. I have write ups about those two hunts on this site.

IMHO, their operations exceeded what I hoped for, as far as the feel of hunting wild animals. I have shared before that I live and hunt across SW Alaska - a truly wild place with truly wild animals. The animals I hunted on the Eastern Cape with G4A had the same feel, to me, as when I hunt moose here at home, the difference being that there are obviously much higher densities there. Yes, it was/is behind high fences, but at no time did I feel like the fences played any role whatsoever in the outcome of my hunts - the properties are quite large. But that's not why I started this response.

Wikus and Colin Coetzee - the brothers behind G4A - are, IMO, exemplary in how they treat their hunters. During both hunts, at no time at all - ever - did I feel pressured to take a shot, or to settle on an animal. In fact, I was asked beforehand what kind of animal I was hoping for, as far as horns or what have you (Me: I like my horns like I like my women - short, thick, and tight. Yes, I really told my PH that). During the course of stalks we would sometimes come across other animals that were not on my list, and I was offered opportunities to take a shot, but never, ever pressured. They worked hard to get me on animals that I would be satisfied with, and while on the sticks I was told to take the shot if I felt comfortable, or to not take the shot if not. On my second hunt my PH was Don Laaks. I can't say enough good things about Don, and I can't imagine a better guy to hunt with. Don was the same - no pressure at all. Completely supportive. Incredibly friendly and personable. Tremendously competent.

My purpose in posting this isn't to promote @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS - though I have zero issue with doing that. But it's to point out there are some really, really, really good outfitters over there that provide absolutely everything in the way of a tremendous hunting experience - a once in a lifetime experience, if you happen to buy into the fairy tale notion that you'll stop at one time (haha). And I'd point out I have had many interactions with this site with other outfitters. While I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at G4A, I have zero doubt that many, many other sponsors on this site could have offered something very similar.

Really this is just me posting on behalf of the outfitters over there busting their asses to treat clients like friends and family, and providing really great hunts. It is a shame that there are unscrupulous ones, and I feel bad for the author of this thread.

To those of you in RSA who do offer terrific hunt opportunities, I'm raising my cup of coffee (real, not instant) to what you do, and I am thankful you do it.

Terry

Maybe this isn't the right place for this, but I feel like I need to say something.

I get that RSA has some bad apples, as well as a very large spectrum of experiences - even with the solid, reputable outfitters. I have not hunted elsewhere so I can't comment on other countries.

Just as an example... I have hunted twice with @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS. I have write ups about those two hunts on this site.

IMHO, their operations exceeded what I hoped for, as far as the feel of hunting wild animals. I have shared before that I live and hunt across SW Alaska - a truly wild place with truly wild animals. The animals I hunted on the Eastern Cape with G4A had the same feel, to me, as when I hunt moose here at home, the difference being that there are obviously much higher densities there. Yes, it was/is behind high fences, but at no time did I feel like the fences played any role whatsoever in the outcome of my hunts - the properties are quite large. But that's not why I started this response.

Wikus and Colin Coetzee - the brothers behind G4A - are, IMO, exemplary in how they treat their hunters. During both hunts, at no time at all - ever - did I feel pressured to take a shot, or to settle on an animal. In fact, I was asked beforehand what kind of animal I was hoping for, as far as horns or what have you (Me: I like my horns like I like my women - short, thick, and tight. Yes, I really told my PH that). During the course of stalks we would sometimes come across other animals that were not on my list, and I was offered opportunities to take a shot, but never, ever pressured. They worked hard to get me on animals that I would be satisfied with, and while on the sticks I was told to take the shot if I felt comfortable, or to not take the shot if not. On my second hunt my PH was Don Laaks. I can't say enough good things about Don, and I can't imagine a better guy to hunt with. Don was the same - no pressure at all. Completely supportive. Incredibly friendly and personable. Tremendously competent.

My purpose in posting this isn't to promote @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS - though I have zero issue with doing that. But it's to point out there are some really, really, really good outfitters over there that provide absolutely everything in the way of a tremendous hunting experience - a once in a lifetime experience, if you happen to buy into the fairy tale notion that you'll stop at one time (haha). And I'd point out I have had many interactions with this site with other outfitters. While I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at G4A, I have zero doubt that many, many other sponsors on this site could have offered something very similar.

Really this is just me posting on behalf of the outfitters over there busting their asses to treat clients like friends and family, and providing really great hunts. It is a shame that there are unscrupulous ones, and I feel bad for the author of this thread.

To those of you in RSA who do offer terrific hunt opportunities, I'm raising my cup of coffee (real, not instant) to what you do, and I am thankful you do it.

Terry
I can echo that. I've had a similar experience with another RSA outfitter who's not a sponsor here. One minor hiccup with a new PH during four safaris that was dealt with quickly and fairly. End of story. I always felt like I was part of the family (though I suspect sometimes they're happy I'm not :D ). Shot a few animals with them that could make SCI (barely) ... for all that's worth ... which is very little.

I hunt big game in the US West often on public land with fences. It's wild enough for me. The difference in South Africa is I can't hunt alone (unfortunate but understandable), no competition when hunting RSA properties (poachers or otherwise), and much higher density of game. The variety of game and varied environment is the biggest drawing card for me. Hunt the mountains one day and the plains the next. Never know what critter will be around the next corner.

I have yet to run into a bad outfitter in Africa but I have run into a couple here in the states. Not as much money at stake here but still they were miserable experiences.
If we are honest about it the draw for many to South Africa is pure economics. Only a select few can foot the bill for a full bag Tanzania hunt or west African bongo hunt or Ethiopia just to name a few. I probably couldn’t afford the hunts I’ve taken in Mozambique as prices have skyrocketed.JMO

First I should tell you I have been on 6 different hunts around the world from auction hunts. I have friends and have met other hunters on auction hunts and all had a good time. It wasn't like I was a guy just coming to shot the donated animal and then leaving. Just because it's a auction hunt doesn't mean the customer deserve bad treatment. Putting all auction hunts and all hunters that buy a auction hunt into one Umbrella group is wrong. Last year I met a PH on a auction hunt that was wonder. I killed my donated animal which was a golden wildebeast on the first day. Then I added klipspringer, steinbuck, duiker, honey badger, civet, genet, porcupine, black Impala, white flank Impala, and saddlepack Impala. Once again I will say some hunters like meeting new people and seeing new places. Yes you risk getting a bad place. But the same could happen with a full price place. I'm ok with the risk I took. I wrote the posts as a warning for any other future potential clients.
You right it could and has happend many times over with " normal" hunts , if you put a % on " normal" vs " auction" the chance of a bad hunt will favor the auction hunt prob with higher than normal odd. 5 good and 1 bad ( for yourself on auction hunts) is about as good as it gets in my experiece. Just remember that the donor

Currently I’m in SA and I know PHASA is informed and involved. They’ll be releasing a statement soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeniaNeagl

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available