Wanted - Smaller Caliber Double Rifle - Side by Side

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
I'm interested in a smaller caliber (Non Dangerous Game) side by side double rifle, possibly calibers such as 6.5x57R, 7x57R, 7x65R, 8x57JRS, 30-06 and or similar. I passed over a few opportunities to buy ones over the years and want to scratch that itch ... lol.

If you have something that you are thinking about selling PM me. Thanks.

There’s a few up on holts at the moment one 30/30 and even a 22lr…..

Although this a do really love!

Attachments

Assuming quality barrel work, that could be a fabulous find. The gun "investors" will hate it because of its non-originality (I don't know about you, but I buy stocks as investments and use mad money for guns.) :cool: It also likely will seem relatively expensive for the "cheap shooter" crowd. Grab it anywhere within that estimate and you could have a very special thing - it all depends on the barrels. But, I am guessing it has not been fired a lot since that reproof in '97.

Thanks for those recommendations, some fine looking guns going to auction in the UK.

Ideally I'm looking for something that has enough power for European wild boar without jumping up to 9.3x74R which I know is very popular for boar.

I've seen some very pretty medium caliber side by side doubles by Chapuis over the years. Please keep any recommendations coming.

The lack of load versatility would turn me off for a "small" double rifle to be used for light game. Get the gun regulated for one load and that's it. You're stuck with it. It's also my understanding that doubles inherently have problems with anything but short range. A drilling makes more sense to me. Miss or mess up the rifle shot, you've still got two quick barrels of buckshot for backup if things get suddenly hairy.

The lack of load versatility would turn me off for a "small" double rifle to be used for light game. Get the gun regulated for one load and that's it. You're stuck with it. It's also my understanding that doubles inherently have problems with anything but short range. A drilling makes more sense to me. Miss or mess up the rifle shot, you've still got two quick barrels of buckshot for backup if things get suddenly hairy.
Some good advice there.

I have a nice drilling in 16ga and 7x57R, not sure it would be my first choice for European driven boar even though your comment makes a lot of sense. My existing Blaser R8 may go to the front of the line in .308, .300 WM or even 9.3x62, I have the red dot and have shot it well in the past in .308 for European boar.

I have driven boar shoots planned for later this year in Croatia and Turkey maybe I need to shoot a few more times before making a final decision.

My current itch is for a medium caliber side by side double rifle with a red dot sight, typically shooting range is not too far, I'm looking for manageable recoil so I can shoot my 2 shots fairly quickly.

I passed up on a very nice Chapuis double rifle in 7x57R with a spare set of 20ga barrels over 35 years ago as I could not quite afford it at the time, 25 years ago I passed over on a Holland & Holland 7x57R double as I could not quite justify the cost to myself at the time, both were amazing fitting and handling double rifles, how I wish I could go back in life. Were they the most practical caliber and guns, probably not but they were both amazing guns. 7x57R is maybe a little light for driven boar, but still I might need a very nice double in this caliber to satisfy my old itch.

Now at 60 years old my decisions just need to make me happy, who knows maybe I'll buy a couple of medium doubles and have a little fun in life.

For a more practical solution I've been looking at the new Chapuis X4 side by side double in either 9.3x74R or .30-06. I like the idea of 30-06 which is typically regulated for a 180gn load but also has the ability to be regulated for other bullet weights. It comes scope mount ready and has a free floating right barrel allowing regulating adjustment. Lot of advantage for 30-06 with cost, bullet selection and availability of ammo and components.

Alternatively someone may have an amazing treasure buried away that they are willing to pass on or part with, I'm keeping my options open just for now. It's always exciting when you are on the hunt for a new gun.

I see a real problem coming in life, my son enjoyed his first Africa buffalo cow culling trip so much he wants us to go back and try a buffalo bull hunt, there may just be a large double in the family future, I think we call these good problems to have in life.

Last edited:
Some good advice there.

I have a nice drilling in 16ga and 7x57R, not sure it would be my first choice for European driven boar even though your comment makes a lot of sense. My existing Blaser R8 may go to the front of the line in .308, .300 WM or even 9.3x62, I have the red dot and have shot it well in the past in .308 for European boar.

I have driven boar shoots planned for later this year in Croatia and Turkey maybe I need to shoot a few more times before making a final decision.

My current itch is for a medium caliber side by side double rifle with a red dot sight, typically shooting range is not too far, I'm looking for manageable recoil so I can shoot my 2 shots fairly quickly.

I passed up on a very nice Chapuis double rifle in 7x57R with a spare set of 20ga barrels over 35 years ago as I could not quite afford it at the time, 25 years ago I passed over on a Holland & Holland 7x57R double as I could not quite justify the cost to myself at the time, both were amazing fitting and handling double rifles, how I wish I could go back in life. Were they the most practical caliber and guns, probably not but they were both amazing guns. 7x57R is maybe a little light for driven boar, but still I might need a very nice double in this caliber to satisfy my old itch.

Now at 60 years old my decisions just need to make me happy, who knows maybe I'll buy a couple of medium doubles and have a little fun in life.

For a more practical solution I've been looking at the new Chapuis X4 side by side double in either 9.3x74R or .30-06. I like the idea of 30-06 which is typically regulated for a 180gn load but also has the ability to be regulated for other bullet weights. It comes scope mount ready and has a free floating right barrel allowing regulating adjustment. Lot of advantage for 30-06 with cost, bullet selection and availability of ammo and components.

Alternatively someone may have an amazing treasure buried away that they are willing to pass on or part with, I'm keeping my options open just for now. It's always exciting when you are on the hunt for a new gun.

I see a real problem coming in life, my son enjoyed his first Africa buffalo cow culling trip so much he wants us to go back and try a buffalo bull hunt, there may just be a large double in the family future, I think we call these good problems to have in life.
Good luck with your search. I think the approach you’re taking is a good one. I know I’ve missed out on some good things by being impatient. Saving the Chapuis as a contingency plan is equally solid planning IMHO

I have shot impala, baboons etc. up to 200 yards with my 9.3x74R Heym double. Also, isn't "two quick barrels of buckshot" extremely short range? I fail to see the logic.

I have shot impala, baboons etc. up to 200 yards with my 9.3x74R Heym double. Also, isn't "two quick barrels of buckshot" extremely short range? I fail to see the logic.
At 200 yards you only have one barrel to use, correct? That is my understanding. You're correct, a drilling and double rifle are both short range for followup. But the drilling provides a third shot and a couple dozen more projectiles. That pissed off toothy boar will have to run through a veritable wall of lead to get at the shooter. I don't see myself ever doing a driven hunt for boar but I think a drilling might be my choice. I will take scatterguns and moving targets over rifles and sticks any day of the week.

You might look seriously at the 8x57JRS. In my VC (it is an O/U) I have a 2-8 leupold scope on it and keeps 4 shot 2r 2l into 4 1/2 inches at 200. My best 4 shot group was 3in. It shoots 200gr accubonds at 2395fps. It would be a fantastic driven boar, red deer, or roe deer rifle. My SxS 9.3x74 I consistently keep both barrels on a 6 in plate at 200. With a well regulated double and a decent rifleman 200 with a double is very doable. You can also sight one barrel with a scope and it will be as accurate as any other single shot. You will just have to know where the second barrel hits.

I hesitated to post this because I have been eyeing this gun heavily for myself, but if you are looking for a double for driven boar, I think this would be just about ideal.

Attachments

This one is a wild one and an oddball. They’ve been trying to sell it for years at this point IIRC (understandable). Price has been reduced recently. I can’t remember what the old price was but it’s been significantly decreased and I bet they can/will go lower. Downsides are resale value (hard resale I’m sure), no fixed blade rear sight, not ready for a red dot (easily remedied), beaver tail forend (not the most attractive IMO) and that straight grip. It is weird but I handled it at DSC this year and it actually felt really good. Someone more knowledgeable may weigh in on the price.

Attachments

If you have a modern double in 9.3x74R either sxs or O/U barrels are adjustable.....

If you have a modern double in 9.3x74R either sxs or O/U barrels are adjustable.....
Can you clarify that? I have a modern Heym in 9.3x74R and barrels are not adjustable. That being said I have shot 2 impala first left barrel and the other with the right barrel both at over a hundred meters (was shooting for bait). It is accurate enough for wild boar or anything one might want to hunt within practical ranges.

Also, I don't see the rifle being regulated with one load a handicap. It is not like one is going to be using different bullet weights during a hunt. If one wants to use a light for caliber bullet, then it might be advisable to use a different caliber rifle.

Last edited:
This one is a wild one and an oddball. They’ve been trying to sell it for years at this point IIRC (understandable). Price has been reduced recently. I can’t remember what the old price was but it’s been significantly decreased and I bet they can/will go lower. Downsides are resale value (hard resale I’m sure), no fixed blade rear sight, not ready for a red dot (easily remedied), beaver tail forend (not the most attractive IMO) and that straight grip. It is weird but I handled it at DSC this year and it actually felt really good. Someone more knowledgeable may weigh in on the price.

I got a bit excited seeing this Belgian gun, but then saw that swan neck stock. Not a favourite of mine.

I got a bit excited seeing this Belgian gun, but then saw that swan neck stock. Not a favourite of mine.
Yea definitely not for everyone. May be a good buy (at a lesser price) for someone who either doesn’t mind or actually likes it.

It is strange but I was genuinely surprised at how comfortable it was.

Not because I'm the brand's product manager, but if I was going to get a small-caliber side-by-side double, I'd get a Chapuis. As others have said, the X4 is easy to scope and re-regulate, is short, light and handy, it retails for mid $7k and it comes in .30-06 and 9.3x74R. Also, I believe that William Larkin Moore has a few other Chapuis models in smaller calibers (I have just directed a gentleman to that store who wanted a .30-30 double).

I normally don't shill for my brand but I think this platform is truly a great value.

Not because I'm the brand's product manager, but if I was going to get a small-caliber side-by-side double, I'd get a Chapuis. As others have said, the X4 is easy to scope and re-regulate, is short, light and handy, it retails for mid $7k and it comes in .30-06 and 9.3x74R. Also, I believe that William Larkin Moore has a few other Chapuis models in smaller calibers (I have just directed a gentleman to that store who wanted a .30-30 double).

I normally don't shill for my brand but I think this platform is truly a great value.
How does the Beretta ownership effect the pricing you mentioned? I noticed the Chapuis shotguns are a lot more expensive than they used to be (at least at my local dealer).

Also, do they make a double in .22 Hornet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shrec2000

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.