Wanted Ammo Pouch Or Ammo Belt

I would like to try some of the Trader Keith stuff, but what I like about the Murray is that it is smaller. It takes up less space on the belt as the cartridges are closer together. I have a 32" waist, so it matters quite a bit for me. I have not found the Murray to take any real breaking to speak of. Mine go to the range with me every time I shoot those guns, and they are very usable from the start.
I found the same with my Murray. The only thing I did was rub a little (cooled down) ash from a fire in the loops to slick them up a little. It's been perfect ever since.

I would like to try some of the Trader Keith stuff, but what I like about the Murray is that it is smaller. It takes up less space on the belt as the cartridges are closer together. I have a 32" waist, so it matters quite a bit for me. I have not found the Murray to take any real breaking to speak of. Mine go to the range with me every time I shoot those guns, and they are very usable from the start.
Well that is not an issue for me as I have a vast amount of real estate around my waist on which to carry ammo. :sneaky: I mean like plenty of room. Ha ha

Can you please clarify, you were carrying the ammo carriers in what capacity 6,8 or 10?
They are the 8 round. I think it would be much more comfortable with the 6 round.

Don’t miss the chance to look at Trader Keith’s cartridge slides. These are all leather and they feel like they have been used for many seasons right from the start. Supple leather and very well made. Murray products are good but take a long time to break in to feel comfortable. The Trader Keith slides are the best I’ve found. View attachment 494482
And it appears to be the Trader Keith cloth culling belt that I am looking for! Thanks

Some good quality Leather Conditioner or dubbin wax applied couple of time might help to soften it up.

BTW, are we talking about closed bottom pouches or open? I have both and both work fine. I have been using my open bottom pouches with my 458WM lately, and though it gives Murray conniptions that I do, I don't have a double and wanted to try them out anyway. I understand the rim adds some potential security to them, but for playing on the range, I have had no issues. If they shake out over the next year of training, I would consider using them that way in the field, though the closed bottom also work very well.

BTW, are we talking about closed bottom pouches or open? I have both and both work fine. I have been using my open bottom pouches with my 458WM lately, and though it gives Murray conniptions that I do, I don't have a double and wanted to try them out anyway. I understand the rim adds some potential security to them, but for playing on the range, I have had no issues. If they shake out over the next year of training, I would consider using them that way in the field, though the closed bottom also work very well.
The full length closed cartridge loops would give (potentially) more grip for having additional surface area contact with the cartridge. But that's a double edged sword because more grip means it will require more force to remove the cartridge. The only other practical reason for full length closed cartridge loops would be protection of the bullet tip. Which is important, at least IMO. Potential downside...having a smaller cartridge that you think might fit into the loops, slip into one and then having to fish it out. So don't do that...ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

The open cartridge loop has the advantage of not gathering dirt, sand or any other debris that would normally collect in the bottom of a closed loop. Of course at the cost of the previously mentioned less surface area contact on the cartridge. Another advantage is being lighter for using less material. Yes a cartridge could possibly fall through if it were not rimmed, but knowing the condition your equipment is the responsibility of every hunter. Be responsible and that should not happen.

IMO - It's personal preference. Whatever you decide to use, practice with it like your life depends on it...because it might. My preference is the closed bottom.

I am lucky enough to have had this one custom made for me, It was cut and stitched by hand with proper clasps and easy access to the pouch. The pouch is just big enough for n hand held GPS, a pocket knife, some toilet paper and a box of matches. The Leather loops have formed to the 458 lott bullets perfectly and they are also easy to get to if needed.

ammo belt.jpeg

Probably not the best photo but it'll give you the idea!

Kind regards.
Aj Fourie.

I am lucky enough to have had this one custom made for me, It was cut and stitched by hand with proper clasps and easy access to the pouch. The pouch is just big enough for n hand held GPS, a pocket knife, some toilet paper and a box of matches. The Leather loops have formed to the 458 lott bullets perfectly and they are also easy to get to if needed.

View attachment 494629

Probably not the best photo but it'll give you the idea!

Kind regards.
Aj Fourie.
Solids on one side and softs on the other?

Solids on one side and softs on the other?
Exactly, With a free floating barnes X hanging around in the back for good measure...

My custom 470 slide with 2" belt loops, made local leathersmith.

IMG_2579.jpg

BTW I have a heavy duty 2" belt in black that I plan to slide this on...

I have slides by several makers for various rifles. I have 2 stock mounted slides (left Hand side), a 10 round slide from Trader Keith for my 404, and other older slides for my 7mm and 30 caliber rifles.

I would say that the one I like most is from Trader Keith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephanHea

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]