Wanted Ammo Pouch Or Ammo Belt

Curious if any one has any experience with this ammo slide from Westley Richards. Seem to be very well designed.
I have similar but it really depends on whether you have a rimmed cartridge or not. I want the bottom open for a rimmed cartridge, for me if I use that style for a rimless cartridge then the loops needs to be max of 2/3’s the length of the round for easy accessibility/withdrawal.

Murray, elastic for me, great quality!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.19.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.19.01 AM Large.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.19.04 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 7.19.04 AM Large.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 54
I might have something for you. Needed a cull belt last minute for a hunt and bought what was available. It worked but is too big for me. Only used once and in great shape. I'll text you tomorrow with some pictures.

I'm glad I posted this. I would not have thought the elastic loops would have been so popular.

I have something like 5 slides from Murray Leather. All leather ones. I am very happy with them, but will have to look at the elastic now. I have a flap top one for hunting in the U.S., as the conditions appear to be pretty different here vs. over there. The rest are open top for 308/375/458WM. They don't take long to break in at all, but I also use them every time I practice with a rifle.

Murray Leather Cartridge Belt with leather loops for me. Has been superb for 416RM and 375H&H with equal tension. Dick Murray is a great guy to deal with.
1665532849128.png

My wife has a Galco Safari 5 that we had the top and bottom cut off by a local leathersmith, stained & burnished. It came out very nice and my wife really likes it. Holds 300WM and 375H&H with equal tension.
1665533505192.png

It comes down to practice. Whatever you decide to use, practice reloading with it. I prefer the belt for the added capacity because I always carry a few solids and keep them separate from the softs.

Last edited:
Also any input on the leather loops vs the elastic loops?
I think it’s elastic only in the .470 Murray leather belt carrier. At least that is what I have.
I should mention wearing two of those big .470 ammo carriers was very uncomfortable in Zim. They did break in a bit over the course of the safari. York had a cloth type culling belt that he said was very comfortable. I may have to look for one of those at some point.
What ever you get just put some neatsfoot oil on it and wear it some before you hunt with it.
To be clear my all leather .375 cal ammo carriers from Murray are plenty comfortable.
Philip

I think it’s elastic only in the .470 Murray leather belt carrier. At least that is what I have.
I should mention wearing two of those big .470 ammo carriers was very uncomfortable in Zim. They did break in a bit over the course of the safari. York had a cloth type culling belt that he said was very comfortable. I may have to look for one of those at some point.
What ever you get just put some neatsfoot oil on it and wear it some before you hunt with it.
To be clear my all leather .375 cal ammo carriers from Murray are plenty comfortable.
Philip
Awesome. Thanks. I have seen those cloth type belts. I may have to look into that

Awesome. Thanks. I have seen those cloth type belts. I may have to look into that
I only can find the Galco cloth culling belt. If anyone knows of others to compare to please let me know.

I only can find the Galco cloth culling belt. If anyone knows of others to compare to please let me know.
Trader Keith culling belt...
1665778759981.png

The thing I don't like about this design is there is a tendency to fill the belt with more than would normally be needed for a day of hunting. The Murray Cartridge Belt holds 10...which would cover the majority of traveling hunters. Culling belts were designed specifically for culling where lots of ammo is used and (in some cases) shooting is done from a vehicle so carrying it is easier. If you do go this route, keep your ammo load down to what you actually need.

Philip
Can you please clarify, you were carrying the ammo carriers in what capacity 6,8 or 10?

Don’t miss the chance to look at Trader Keith’s cartridge slides. These are all leather and they feel like they have been used for many seasons right from the start. Supple leather and very well made. Murray products are good but take a long time to break in to feel comfortable. The Trader Keith slides are the best I’ve found.
66E524F3-FBF8-4CB3-8340-C81B627A6076.jpeg

I would like to try some of the Trader Keith stuff, but what I like about the Murray is that it is smaller. It takes up less space on the belt as the cartridges are closer together. I have a 32" waist, so it matters quite a bit for me. I have not found the Murray to take any real breaking to speak of. Mine go to the range with me every time I shoot those guns, and they are very usable from the start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephanHea

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]