Wanted: a big bore reloading Mentor in North Florida

towserthemouser

AH member
Reaction score
I'm looking to learn how to reload for my main hunting calibers (257 Weatherby Mag, 30-06 Springfield, 375 H&H, 416 Rem Mag, and 470NE). I'm seeking a member in North Florida who would be willing to let me drive to you, watch a few reloading sessions at a mutually agreeable time, and pick your brain about equipment and techniques to help me get well started on a reloading journey.

I have no reloading experience or equipment, so I'm a blank slate at the moment. I do have a basic grasp of ballistics and have a science education. I'm willing to read and to study online videos, but there is nothing to substitute for an experienced personal teacher in my opinion.

My primary interest is in learning how to develop hunting loads with interesting bullet designs that are not available in commercial ammo, and also to be able to roll my own as ammunition scarcity becomes a thing under the current and expected future political regimes.....

I live in Panama City and work in Tallahassee, so a reasonable drive from either of those areas would be ideal.

Thanks and would appreciate any experienced reloader willing to share knowledge and get me started safely and efficiently.

Ahhh, come on. Just jump in like quite a few of us did.

You have a huge advantage with the forum here. Amongst us we have quite possibly made just about every mistake a loader can make and have lived through it.

When I started I just headed to a sporting goods store and picked up a whole loading kit. In it was everything that I needed to put together pistol and rifle rounds. The store threw in the loading manual of my choice. I then read the manual and purchased what I needed to put some 44 mag loads together.
I have to admit, the first time that I pulled the trigger on my first reload I was quite apprehensive. If I remember right I held my pistol at arms length as I crouched behind a stump. The rest is history with tens of thousands of reloads later.

I would suggest that you pick up a loading manual and start reading. There is quite a bit of information in them on how to load a cartridge safety. If you have questions ask us and we will be happy to help.

The biggest thing is deciding on what loading kit you want to purchase. Hornady, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, and a few others sell kits that will put rounds together. The big thing is that you want a press that will handle the biggest as far as length cartridge that you are looking at.

Hello from the other side of the bend. In Steinhatchee. I have to get all new equipment and will probably start reloading in the spring. 416 RM is on my list to start with. In the past I did thousands of rounds of pistol ammo and some 308 and 223. I know the basics but need to learn a lot more about the case prep and specifics on bullet seating for accuracy. When the time comes you are more than welcome to come my way and check it out. I am fishing guide part time so we can get some trout fishing in to make it worth your while.

PM me and we can exchange contact info if you are interested.

Hello from the other side of the bend. In Steinhatchee. I have to get all new equipment and will probably start reloading in the spring. 416 RM is on my list to start with. In the past I did thousands of rounds of pistol ammo and some 308 and 223. I know the basics but need to learn a lot more about the case prep and specifics on bullet seating for accuracy. When the time comes you are more than welcome to come my way and check it out. I am fishing guide part time so we can get some trout fishing in to make it worth your while.

PM me and we can exchange contact info if you are interested.
Thanks! Will do in the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PDKBella23

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa