Wanted 450/400 NE 3" Double Rifle

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Well this site has provided much reading on the subject of double rifles and the pros and cons of various calibers for dangerous game..

I'm going back to South Africa next year for a couple more cape buffalo, I've got the .375 H&H bolt gun which worked well on buffalo cow culling this year but feel that it may be time to have a go with a double rifle. I think I'm skipping the big calibers (.470 / .500 and larger) and opting for something that allows me to shoot it quickly and accurately without massive recoil. I decided that a 450/400 NE 3" seems to be a good option for my first dangerous game double rifle for use primarily on buffalo. I don't see myself hunting elephant so don't think I need anything bigger.

Just wondering if anyone has knows of guns that may be for sale or is thinking of selling their 450/400 NE 3" Double Rifle.

I see that Champlin Arms has a new 450/400 Chapuis for sale at $13K but my first choice would be a Heym. Not sure what the wait time is for a new Heym but maybe I will get lucky and find something on here. I'm open to considering other makes too.

Warning to other users, spending time on this site makes you think that you need a double rifle or two!

I visited the Champlin Arms booth at DSC in January and they had a Chapuis 450/400 double there that I played with, it was a very nice double that felt balanced and pointed well. It was tempting but I walked away convincing myself I didn’t really need a double gun

Great idea! You will not regret getting a 450/400 3", and even more so if it is a Heym.
There is something very special about carrying a double on safari, it is just so right.

I’m at the same point as you @UpNorthMI!!!
leaning towards the Chapuis in 450/400. Will follow along intently. What’s the forum’s opinion of non rimmed cartridge caliber doubles like the 416R and 375HH??

One of the "Cons" of the 450/400 NE 3" seems to be the range of factory ammunition and reloading components available, it seems that rounds like .416 Rigby or .450 NE offer a lot more choice.
As I mentioned on another thread, Midway has a sale on the Hornady factory ammo in that caliber at 20% discount.

In regard to recoil .450 is halfway between .450-400 and .470.

Last I called Heym it was about 2 years wait and 50% more than you think it costs!

They do on occasion sell a used one so worth a call to get on a list.

The general opinion on this site for non-rimmed cartridges in a double rifle is low…. Except for those who actually own one and they all say it works fine- especially in the finding ammo and components part.

The main draw back (and benefit upfront) is the lower re-sell value. There is a perceived notion they may fail to extract if something goes wrong

Last I called Heym it was about 2 years wait and 50% more than you think it costs!

They do on occasion sell a used one so worth a call to get on a list.

The general opinion on this site for non-rimmed cartridges in a double rifle is low…. Except for those who actually own one and they all say it works fine- especially in the finding ammo and components part.

The main draw back (and benefit upfront) is the lower re-sell value. There is a perceived notion they may fail to extract if something goes wrong
I appreciate your input, it's good to hear the pros and the cons given by people much more experienced than myself.

Well this site has provided much reading on the subject of double rifles and the pros and cons of various calibers for dangerous game..

I'm going back to South Africa next year for a couple more cape buffalo, I've got the .375 H&H bolt gun which worked well on buffalo cow culling this year but feel that it may be time to have a go with a double rifle. I think I'm skipping the big calibers (.470 / .500 and larger) and opting for something that allows me to shoot it quickly and accurately without massive recoil. I decided that a 450/400 NE 3" seems to be a good option for my first dangerous game double rifle for use primarily on buffalo. I don't see myself hunting elephant so don't think I need anything bigger.

Just wondering if anyone has knows of guns that may be for sale or is thinking of selling their 450/400 NE 3" Double Rifle.

I see that Champlin Arms has a new 450/400 Chapuis for sale at $13K but my first choice would be a Heym. Not sure what the wait time is for a new Heym but maybe I will get lucky and find something on here. I'm open to considering other makes too.

Warning to other users, spending time on this site makes you think that you need a double rifle or two!
As of yesterday, wait time for a new Heym from the factory was 3-4 years... no, not kidding. (I just checked, too).

Looked at those chapuis 450/400 at sci last couple of years and I really liked them.. great balance and not heavy....I thought pretty good value as well.....had one many years ago in 9.3x74r...that was nice little rifle.....shot a few things with including a buff for staff rations...

I never heard from anyone looking to sell a

450/400 NE 3" Double Rifle

are there just not too many out there or is this a caliber people keep?

I don't know where all the 450/400's are but there are a few 500/416's for sale. I like the 500/416 since it delivers 416 Rigby performance in a low pressure rimmed cartridge for double rifles.

The 450/400 is certainly a respected cartridge. It is capable of everything up to elephant.
The 500/416 however provides a 16% increase in muzzle energy and 12% more Knock Out Blow over the 450/400. The difference isn't earth shattering, but the 500/416 offers at least what the 416 Rigby did when it was introduced in 1911. Then, the old cartridge only cranked out 2300 FPS muzzle velocity. History shows that the 416 Rigby has been effective on dangerous game.

1722363904720.png

One factor important to reloaders is while the 450/400 shoots projectiles of .411" diameter, the 500/416 shoots the more common .416" diameter bullets that are common to the .416 Rigby, Remington, and Taylor.

Attachments

• 1722363399793.png
    1722363399793.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 2
I don't know where all the 450/400's are but there are a few 500/416's for sale. I like the 500/416 since it delivers 416 Rigby performance in a low pressure rimmed cartridge for double rifles.

The 450/400 is certainly a respected cartridge. It is capable of everything up to elephant.
The 500/416 however provides a 16% increase in muzzle energy and 12% more Knock Out Blow over the 450/400. The difference isn't earth shattering, but the 500/416 offers at least what the 416 Rigby did when it was introduced in 1911. Then, the old cartridge only cranked out 2300 FPS muzzle velocity. History shows that the 416 Rigby has been effective on dangerous game.

View attachment 622802

One factor important to reloaders is while the 450/400 shoots projectiles of .411" diameter, the 500/416 shoots the more common .416" diameter bullets that are common to the .416 Rigby, Remington, and Taylor.

Mark,

As always thank you for your kind and excellent advice, we really must have a beer sometime as we live pretty close.

You just confirmed everything that I tried to educate myself on this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Easytime

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.