Wanted 450/400 NE 3" Double Rifle

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Well this site has provided much reading on the subject of double rifles and the pros and cons of various calibers for dangerous game..

I'm going back to South Africa next year for a couple more cape buffalo, I've got the .375 H&H bolt gun which worked well on buffalo cow culling this year but feel that it may be time to have a go with a double rifle. I think I'm skipping the big calibers (.470 / .500 and larger) and opting for something that allows me to shoot it quickly and accurately without massive recoil. I decided that a 450/400 NE 3" seems to be a good option for my first dangerous game double rifle for use primarily on buffalo. I don't see myself hunting elephant so don't think I need anything bigger.

Just wondering if anyone has knows of guns that may be for sale or is thinking of selling their 450/400 NE 3" Double Rifle.

I see that Champlin Arms has a new 450/400 Chapuis for sale at $13K but my first choice would be a Heym. Not sure what the wait time is for a new Heym but maybe I will get lucky and find something on here. I'm open to considering other makes too.

Warning to other users, spending time on this site makes you think that you need a double rifle or two!

One of the "Cons" of the 450/400 NE 3" seems to be the range of factory ammunition and reloading components available, it seems that rounds like .416 Rigby or .450 NE offer a lot more choice.

I visited the Champlin Arms booth at DSC in January and they had a Chapuis 450/400 double there that I played with, it was a very nice double that felt balanced and pointed well. It was tempting but I walked away convincing myself I didn’t really need a double gun

Great idea! You will not regret getting a 450/400 3", and even more so if it is a Heym.
There is something very special about carrying a double on safari, it is just so right.

I’m at the same point as you @UpNorthMI!!!
leaning towards the Chapuis in 450/400. Will follow along intently. What’s the forum’s opinion of non rimmed cartridge caliber doubles like the 416R and 375HH??

One of the "Cons" of the 450/400 NE 3" seems to be the range of factory ammunition and reloading components available, it seems that rounds like .416 Rigby or .450 NE offer a lot more choice.
As I mentioned on another thread, Midway has a sale on the Hornady factory ammo in that caliber at 20% discount.

In regard to recoil .450 is halfway between .450-400 and .470.

Last I called Heym it was about 2 years wait and 50% more than you think it costs!

They do on occasion sell a used one so worth a call to get on a list.

The general opinion on this site for non-rimmed cartridges in a double rifle is low…. Except for those who actually own one and they all say it works fine- especially in the finding ammo and components part.

The main draw back (and benefit upfront) is the lower re-sell value. There is a perceived notion they may fail to extract if something goes wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
az888llc

Latest profile posts

Ready for the next hunt
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg