Video of giraffe harvested with 6mm

These stunts lead to wounded animals by encountering others to do the same stunts with inappropriate calibers. It’s not a particularly large giraffe. The two giraffe seem very familiar with people approaching allowing them to get close. It seems done with the intent of showing a smaller caliber will kill instead of shooting again while standing. It’s also obviously done inside a game farm with a fence so it will be found eventually regardless. The conditions are not always this controlled. Target shooting game animals has no place in ethical hunting.

I see no reason to quit shooting until the animal is down. I’ve learned that the hard way. Long walks chasing wounded stuff isn’t my cup of tea.

Vehicles are seen in the background. If there are people there, I might hesitate. He did look pretty sick about 20 seconds in….. but when it’s just standing there in front of the other one I’d have sent another. There’s no risk of a 6mm passing through into the other one.

A wounded giraffe can be a nightmare. I’ve heard plenty of stories about them crashing through high-fence enclosures and running all day.

i think the hunter should have shot that animal in the head (behind the ear) in the first place, a 6mm is not a rifle for hunting such a large, tough animal. basically a stunt.
I’ll wait for clarification from Daisy, but if comment the other day was correct. This was done by one of the same individuals advocating for 223 on bear, elk, and moose on a different forum. It really makes me upset to see target shooting stunts on animals because I think it shows a complete disrespect to the animals they are hunting.

I’ll wait for clarification from Daisy, but if comment the other day was correct. This was done by one of the same individuals advocating for 223 on bear, elk, and moose on a different forum. It really makes me upset to see target shooting stunts on animals because I think it shows a complete disrespect to the animals they are hunting.
The shooter and his co hunters have harvested more large game animals than most if not all on this board. 100s of elk, mule deer, black bear, brown bear, sheep, goats, etc.

Africa is not some magical place where animals don’t die. It is proven, yes I say proven, that elk, bear, and other animals can be ethically taken with small caliber rifles with appropriate bullets. 100s and 100s of examples. These guys teach others how to shoot, and have shown time and time again that smaller calibers are shot more proficiently than larger ones.

This trip in the video was to show that the same principals work in Africa. 15 animals (waterbuck, sable, giraffe) were all taken with a 6mmUM with 115gr bullet. They were harvested ethically and in all cases cleanly.

No one here has to change. But the data, yes data, is showing that most would be better served with a smaller cartridge with an appropriate bullet than a larger one.

I think dangerous game is a middle ground but I believe that modern bullets like CEB raptor offer benefit there too.

You’re a reasonable and smart dude 375. I have full confidence you’ll be hunting with a 223 soon!

They would say the same for you using large calibers with monometal bullets.

They were harvested ethically and in all cases cleanly.
hmmmm,

that giraffe was not harvested as cleanly as it could have (should have in my book) been done. could have shot in head, OR simply shot it again (and even again) until it was down. it is one thing if an animal runs off and you can't shoot again, but when you can, i believe one has an obligation to continue to shoot till the animal is down. but, if you do that.....you can't say it only took ONE shot with a very light rifle.

And illegal to use on giraffe......why some would want to keep pushing and trying to prove something that is illegal is beyond logic......and then saying it is ethical......
Perhaps this needs to be sent to the authorities so the shooter and outfitter can be dealt with.....
This type of crap is not what hunters need.....

And illegal to use on giraffe......why some would want to keep pushing and trying to prove something that is illegal is beyond logic......and then saying it is ethical......
Perhaps this needs to be sent to the authorities so the shooter and outfitter can be dealt with.....
This type of crap is not what hunters need.....
Can you show me where 6mm is illegal on giraffe in South Africa. Serious question.

hmmmm,

that giraffe was not harvested as cleanly as it could have (should have in my book) been done. could have shot in head, OR simply shot it again (and even again) until it was down. it is one thing if an animal runs off and you can't shoot again, but when you can, i believe one has an obligation to continue to shoot till the animal is down. but, if you do that.....you can't say it only took ONE shot with a very light rifle.
Notice argument has gone from is 6mm enough to now attacking the shooters ethics on not shooting enough. Let’s not move the goalpost please

Notice argument has gone from is 6mm enough to now attacking the shooters ethics on not shooting enough. Let’s not move the goalpost please
It’s a discussion on hunting with a 6mm not shooting at range targets with a 6mm.

It’s a discussion on hunting with a 6mm not shooting at range targets with a 6mm.
I agree with that. Needs to be discussed.

Talking about the several comments saying he should have kept shooting.

Btw I use 6.5prc on most things. I use 223 on some coyote, pigs, and whitetail. I also own a 338 lapua, 375, and 416. I’ll be using my 416 next year on buffalo!

D
The shooter and his co hunters have harvested more large game animals than most if not all on this board. 100s of elk, mule deer, black bear, brown bear, sheep, goats, etc.

Africa is not some magical place where animals don’t die. It is proven, yes I say proven, that elk, bear, and other animals can be ethically taken with small caliber rifles with appropriate bullets. 100s and 100s of examples. These guys teach others how to shoot, and have shown time and time again that smaller calibers are shot more proficiently than larger ones.

This trip in the video was to show that the same principals work in Africa. 15 animals (waterbuck, sable, giraffe) were all taken with a 6mmUM with 115gr bullet. They were harvested ethically and in all cases cleanly.

No one here has to change. But the data, yes data, is showing that most would be better served with a smaller cartridge with an appropriate bullet than a larger one.

I think dangerous game is a middle ground but I believe that modern bullets like CEB raptor offer benefit there too.

You’re a reasonable and smart dude 375. I have full confidence you’ll be hunting with a 223 soon!
David killed Goliath with a sling shot. I dont see alot of police walking around with those.
Not a supporter of what you are promoting here

You say ethical, most here say not ethical. Since we have no reasonable expectation of an ability to agree on what is ethical, it's not going to be resolved. Endless "he said/she said" gets nobody anywhere. Just because it works once or even numerous times in the hands of certain shooters in certain situations does not mean that it is something others should try to replicate. As I have said in other threads, .223 solids are perfectly capable of taking most critters on the planet if everything goes to plan.

Giraffe aren't always accustomed to humans. They're not always hunted in enclosures. They don't always just stand there. They don't always stand broadside. Many people aren't excellent marksman and many hunters don't know the anatomy as well as they should. Many people don't have the opportunity to hunt multiple big game animals per year. As with extreme-long range shooting, what is ethical for a few people is a disaster when attempted by others. I think we can all agree the margin of error when it comes to bullet placement is much larger with a .375 H&H than with a 6mm.

Trying this out for yourself is one thing. Posting the videos to the Internet and encouraging others to do the same runs counter to the recommendations of those with the most experience -- licensed and experienced PHs.

At one time, only solids were recommended for buffalo. Now, with better bullets, and a few decades of experience, high-quality controlled-expansion bullets are the norm, at least for the first shot. Perhaps we will eventually see a consensus build that supports smaller bullets for large critters. We are NOT there yet.

All of that aside, most people here would advocate shooting until an animal is down. Just watching it for over a minute, whooping and hollering about the cartridge, and then posting it bugs some of us. It might lead others to try things that result in wounded and lost animals. Nobody wants that.

@Daisy,
that was just my 2cents.

you want to promote shooting huge animals with a small caliber, that is your business. but, if you don't want people to comment on it, then you probably should not post a video about it on a site with a pretty experienced audience.

i read about a guy killing an elephant with a 22lr. does not make it a elephant gun. this video does not prove to me that a 6mm is a proper rifle for giraffe.

your first line reads:
Not my video! Just interested in thoughts.
so, i gave you my thoughts. i am not attacking you, i am giving you my thoughts.

@Daisy,
that was just my 2cents.

you want to promote shooting huge animals with a small caliber, that is your business. but, if you don't want people to comment on it, then you probably should not post a video about it on a site with a pretty experienced audience.

i read about a guy killing an elephant with a 22lr. does not make it a elephant gun. this video does not prove to me that a 6mm is a proper rifle for giraffe.

your first line reads:

so, i gave you my thoughts. i am not attacking you, i am giving you my thoughts.
I hear you. I’m in the middle. There is data out there though. I like reading it all and making my own decision.

You say ethical, most here say not ethical. Since we have no reasonable expectation of an ability to agree on what is ethical, it's not going to be resolved. Endless "he said/she said" gets nobody anywhere. Just because it works once or even numerous times in the hands of certain shooters in certain situations does not mean that it is something others should try to replicate. As I have said in other threads, .223 solids are perfectly capable of taking most critters on the planet if everything goes to plan.

Giraffe aren't always accustomed to humans. They're not always hunted in enclosures. They don't always just stand there. They don't always stand broadside. Many people aren't excellent marksman and many hunters don't know the anatomy as well as they should. Many people don't have the opportunity to hunt multiple big game animals per year. As with extreme-long range shooting, what is ethical for a few people is a disaster when attempted by others. I think we can all agree the margin of error when it comes to bullet placement is much larger with a .375 H&H than with a 6mm.

Trying this out for yourself is one thing. Posting the videos to the Internet and encouraging others to do the same runs counter to the recommendations of those with the most experience -- licensed and experienced PHs.

At one time, only solids were recommended for buffalo. Now, with better bullets, and a few decades of experience, high-quality controlled-expansion bullets are the norm, at least for the first shot. Perhaps we will eventually see a consensus build that supports smaller bullets for large critters. We are NOT there yet.

All of that aside, most people here would advocate shooting until an animal is down. Just watching it for over a minute, whooping and hollering about the cartridge, and then posting it bugs some of us. It might lead others to try things that result in wounded and lost animals. Nobody wants that.
Where I would disagree is the ability to place a good shot with 375 vs smaller cartridge. I think most shooters would struggle with that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CherieBatt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia