Vegemite the story

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
My late Mother, who served in the WRAAF in Sydney, Brisbane and here in Townsville during WW2 spoke of how American servicemen handled the stuff. (She was an aircraft plotter during Coral Sea, and dated an American AirForce officer briefly). They allegedly would slather the stuff on their toast up to 1/8" thick, then complain it was too salty. Poor delude fools ...

It’ll give you gout. I use to eat the stuff straight.. a teaspoon full at a time. Now I limit my self to just a bit on toast from time to time.
I really love the stuff….but not enough to suffer gout.

@CBH Australia
Chris it is just plain un Australian to not like Vegemite. It's as Ozzie as football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars. Along with beer and Bundy.
Bob
Bob, I like Vegemite. I can't afford a decent Holden car now. A WB ute was out of my price range when I was 19-20. Now I just refuse to pay the asking price of a classic Holden. There were over 100 FC and FB Holden's in town over Easter. I was drawn to the Utes first. There were some immaculate Sedans, some basically original some full extensive restoration s. Then a few ahh, modified.
Of course there was a Hearse. Other than the original modifications it was all original always stored under cover and due to turn over 10,000 miles on its way home.

So, do Aussies drink a lot of beer so they can get more Vegemite, or do they eat a lot of Vegemite so they can get more beer? If appears beer and Vegemite are quite dependent upon each other.
Personally I am one of the Americans who, when in Australia, put too much on my toast! Thus, not a fan. LOL!

I would rather eat the football.
@CJW
I find it hard to believe that Americans hunt big dangerous game and fear nothing, but give them a little jar af Vegemite and the turn to jelly from fear.
Strange because Vegemite is gods gift. Very nice and nutritious.
Bob

@CJW
I find it hard to believe that Americans hunt big dangerous game and fear nothing, but give them a little jar af Vegemite and the turn to jelly from fear.
Strange because Vegemite is gods gift. Very nice and nutritious.
Bob
Americans fear nothing! We’ll…..we don’t fear vegemite anyway. :cool: We have access to all of the ingredients, so we could, if we wanted, make our own. But we don’t. Come to think of it, no other nation makes any. We Americans love cuisine from other places. Pasta? Yes please. Enchiladas? Si. Haggis? We’ll, we have our standards.

@Doug3006 you could copy it but it would not be uniquely Australian.
I make Salami but it's not authentic, I think that's why I haven't tried Haggis, yeah, that's why.

@Doug3006 you could copy it but it would not be uniquely Australian.
I make Salami but it's not authentic, I think that's why I haven't tried Haggis, yeah, that's why.
Lol! Yes, we all feel the same about haggis. It’s not that we can’t……..

An intermittent diet of Vegemite explains why Aussies are the least understandable of the so-called “English speaking peoples.” :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

No wonder the original Mad Max filmed had to be dubbed by American actors, just to make the characters’ dialog discernible. Even then it took years to figure out what the film was about. :unsure:

;)

An intermittent diet of Vegemite explains why Aussies are the least understandable of the so-called “English speaking peoples.” :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

No wonder the original Mad Max filmed had to be dubbed by American actors, just to make the characters’ dialog discernible. Even then it took years to figure out what the film was about. :unsure:

;)
You should come with me to visit my in-laws in Newfoundland!!!

;)
You’ve worked it out:unsure::LOL::LOL:

Vegemite Rules.

I didn't grow up in OZ but we lived there for 3 years when I was in my late 30's. I loved the place, even if I lived in Canberra.

My vegemite recipe for my fellow Sceptic Tanks.

Sourdough bread cut thick!

Pre toast it in the oven at about 415-430 F for 3 minutes.

Spread a light smear of about a full tea spoon on each side.

Place a thick piece of good White English Style Chedder cheese like Old Croc, Bighty, or some other English Style white cheddar on one side of the bread and nicely seasoned sliced fresh tomatoes on the other side.

Toast again for another 2-3 minutes.

Smash the two sides together and give it another minute or two in the oven to solidify.

Pull from the oven slice diagonally and eat.

A good variation is bacon and sauted onions. This gets to be alot of salt for most folks though.

You can also replace the tomatoes with dried figs (with the stems removed) smashed down to fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinceRaq97

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg