US Travel Bans/Restrictions South Africa

Funny how many were avoiding Qatar like the plague and now treating them like their lord and savior.
e-laugh.gif
It'll be interesting to see how much future business Delta loses in the process. I'm betting it will be enough to extend the cancellation date.
Having said all that, I see where Qatar's prices have increased about fifteen percent for the cheap seats and twenty five percent for business class. This is just over the last two months and after the aforementioned cancellations..

Are there potential issues with firearms in particular through Amsterdam? Or is the concern just the normal "luggage might get lost" type of things that come up during travel?

I am looking at heading over in mid/late May and the ATL-AMS-JNB route is what I am most likely looking at. I am willing to roll the dice on stuff getting lost, just don't want guns seized or run into paperwork issues in Amsterdam.
From what I've previously researched on this site, as long as the proper permits/paperwork is in order, there aren't any issues. I would advise not winging it on my own and would be using Gracy Travel or Travel Express to handle the travel arrangements.

Are there potential issues with firearms in particular through Amsterdam? Or is the concern just the normal "luggage might get lost" type of things that come up during travel?

I am looking at heading over in mid/late May and the ATL-AMS-JNB route is what I am most likely looking at. I am willing to roll the dice on stuff getting lost, just don't want guns seized or run into paperwork issues in Amsterdam.
Even if you don’t leave the AMS airport, you will need a Netherlands transit permit for firearms or archery broadheads. Put a copy inside your gun case, another taped to the outside and carry a copy with you. Your travel agent should be able to help you line it up but you have to personally do part of the application online. Make sure you get started on it soon because it can take a while to get it back.

Alternatively, I would suggest Qatar to JNB instead as the gun issues are easier.

Seems like ATL-AMS-JNB or ATL-CDG-JNB are going to be my options, wondering which is the easiest to get through. The biggest issue with CDG I've had in previous travel is the french decide to go on strike a lot!!
Yes and if something happens in France, make sure you don’t leave the airport with firearms without prior approval.

Funny how many were avoiding Qatar like the plague and now treating them like their lord and savior.
View attachment 388044 It'll be interesting to see how much future business Delta loses in the process. I'm betting it will be enough to extend the cancellation date.
Having said all that, I see where Qatar's prices have increased about fifteen percent for the cheap seats and twenty five percent for business class. This is just over the last two months and after the aforementioned cancellations..
I only avoided Qatar due to the longer travel time, not because of service. Turkish is another excellent airline if it’s ever an option.

Yes and if something happens in France, make sure you don’t leave the airport with firearms without prior approval.
Which would you say is a safer bet? CDG or Amsterdam? Sorry for the 21 questions just trying to weigh my options. Thanks for your input!

Just got a call from Delta flights to Jo-Burg cancelled until June 26th guess it wasn't meant to be this year!
I leave July 24th. Surely things will change by then. If we have to change airlines we will do so. It going to miss Africa this year if at all possible.

Which would you say is a safer bet? CDG or Amsterdam? Sorry for the 21 questions just trying to weigh my options. Thanks for your input!
Neither, Qatar and Doha. :)

Neither, Qatar and Doha. :)
The flights I'm seeing from ATL with Qatar connect through JFK, and then Doha. You think that's less risky than stopping in CDG or AMS? I've heard weird stuff happening with guns at JFK, and I know Qatar has been weird about Covid lately (guys I know traveling through there for work).

I flew through Paris on the way to CAR in 2016 but wasn’t able to bring a rifle due to the arms embargo placed on CAR so I’m not the best person to ask about that flight leg. Lori at Travel Express or Gracy Travel would know. Perhaps some other members here as well? Keep in mind that there used to be an arms embargo against Zimbabwe by the EU as well but I’m not sure if it’s still in place. I try to avoid Europe if possible.

The Netherlands is workable. I flew KLM through AMS in 2017 on the way to Tanzania with two rifles and didn’t have any issues but like I said earlier, get ahead of it early on.

What are your friends saying about COVID with Qatar?

I leave in 53 days going through Paris from Atlanta then to joburg the only thing I had to do was inform Air France for my Transfer but I booked all the way through on Delta. Going through Amsterdam they told me that i had to get approval from KLM that I was bringing a firearm. Then I also had to contact the Dutch government and let them know. So I needed to send something to them 4 weeks prior if I got it back in time to go I would be lucky.

I leave in 53 days going through Paris from Atlanta then to joburg the only thing I had to do was inform Air France for my Transfer but I booked all the way through on Delta. Going through Amsterdam they told me that i had to get approval from KLM that I was bringing a firearm. Then I also had to contact the Dutch government and let them know. So I needed to send something to them 4 weeks prior if I got it back in time to go I would be lucky.
Thanks for the info about Paris.

Yes, with the Netherlands, I applied for the transit permit six weeks ahead but it still worried me. It’s a hassle.

Somewhat OT, but if there ever was a reason for using an agent, these times are it. From this chair, for U.S. citizens, this is not time to wing it. YMMV.
Yep

We are flying South African Airways JFK-JNB mid-May. So far, no news from them about problems.
Wow first I’ve heard of this! I’ve searched this topic extensively and did not know they were flying again.

Hope so too with SAA- the more competition the better
That’s my point as well. I may not fly them but the more flights to Africa the better.

I flew through Paris on the way to CAR in 2016 but wasn’t able to bring a rifle due to the arms embargo placed on CAR so I’m not the best person to ask about that flight leg. Lori at Travel Express or Gracy Travel would know. Perhaps some other members here as well? Keep in mind that there used to be an arms embargo against Zimbabwe by the EU as well but I’m not sure if it’s still in place. I try to avoid Europe if possible.

The Netherlands is workable. I flew KLM through AMS in 2017 on the way to Tanzania with two rifles and didn’t have any issues but like I said earlier, get ahead of it early on.

What are your friends saying about COVID with Qatar?
It probably has more impact on people entering the country not transiting. But they were denying Visa applications, canceling flights, requiring quarantines......stuff like that. Probably wouldn't affect people passing through though.

And mind you this was like three months ago, probably shouldnt have even brought it up, don't wanna sew uncertainty in anyone!
It probably has more impact on people entering the country not transiting. But they were denying Visa applications, canceling flights, requiring quarantines......stuff like that. Probably wouldn't affect people passing through though

Going to RSA a month ago was orignally booked through Atlanta, which was shut down days after booking. So I went through Amsterdam going. Lori @TRAVEL EXPRESS took care of my travel and the permits. While it isn't normal, that Dutch transit permit took days right now with the police having time I guess. I was supposed to come back via Amsterdam but the place got shut down. I ended up flying though CDG Paris with a day and a half notice. I Transitted with no issue.

My only wisdom is take what you can be prepared for things to change. I'd also suggest talking to your outfitter and finding out what you can rent from them. I know most people want their own firearms, I also know things can change in a day and you need to have a back up.

With as many people in this conversation (and other threads like it) you would think everyone could pitch in and charter a C-130 or some other large aircraft and just drop everyone off where they needed to go!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
decatonorthrop

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?