Unexplainable draw to the African Continent

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Maybe this helps explain what we can’t explain. The inexplicable pull the continent has on many of us.

If you were to trace all our family trees as far into the past as possible, you’d find we’re all related — albeit extremely distantly. The common female ancestor from whom all humans are descended is Mitochondrial Eve, and scientists believe she lived in Africa some 200,000 years ago. Recent research may have narrowed down that location to an oasis in the Kalahari Desert, making it the “ancestral homeland of all humans alive today,” according to the researchers. Eve is technically known as Mitochondrial-Most Recent Common Ancestor, or mt-Eve and mt-MRCA for short, and her lesser-known male counterpart is known as Y-chromosomal Adam. He’s also believed to have lived in Africa, around 150,000 to 300,000 years ago.

The idea of a common ancestor has led to the misconception that Mitochondrial Eve was the first female human, which isn’t correct. Rather, she was the most recent common ancestor to whom every living person can trace their genealogy. Every human on the planet carries the Eve gene, including 147 people and fetuses from the original 1987 study. That study wasn’t the first to hypothesize a common ancestor, but the researchers behind it did coin the term Mitochondrial Eve.

You may also like​

Advertisement

By the Numbers​

Advertisement

DID YOU KNOW?​

The Bible never specifies what the forbidden fruit was.​

Though we tend to think that it was an apple eaten by Adam and Eve, the Bible never actually specifies what kind of fruit is on the tree of forbidden knowledge in the Garden of Eden. This has led to much speculation among believers, scholars, and others, with figs, grapes, pomegranates, and citrons all suggested as candidates. The apple emerged as the common consensus because its Latin name is malum, which is also the word for evil — a linguistic quirk that apparently seemed too poignant to ignore. Nothing in the original text suggests this is anything more than an etymological coincidence, but the association has stuck.

More on Science​

AUTHOR​

Love it?19

Tomatoes were called “love apples” because they were believed to be aphrodisiacs.​

Love it?14

WORLD HISTORY
Read Fact
https://historyfacts.com/world-hist...ecause-they-were-believed-to-be-aphrodisiacs/

Recommendations For You​

Load More
Advertisement

loader.svg

That explains why the Kalahari beckons me every now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stencilmonkey

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]