Understanding The Barnes TSX Controversy

Maybe I did not really understand what it was about, but what is important, and that not just for the Barnes bullets, is the impact velocity and not the muzzle velocity. It is sure that so higher the muzzle velocity and so longer the distance you can shoot in order to still have sufficient impact velocity. In the case of the Barnes bullets, to achieve a maximum expansion, the impact velocity is on an average between 1800 and 2000 fps, which is still relatively high and is certainly, depending on the shooting distance, a limiting factor for full expansion of the TSX bullets if the muzzle velocity of a rifle is barely above 2000 fps.
@grand veneur
That's why I like them in my 25.
They don't go below 2000fps till after over 600yards and I NEVER shoot anywhere near that.
Try to keep my shots at 200 or less prefer less. So still travelling at 3,000fps or there abouts
Bob

In my simple mind, I think about the hardness/softness of the copper, annealing, size and depth of the hollow point per caliber, bullet weight, and velocity.

Velocity, as expressed in ft/lbs muzzle energy, (not my primary consideration), but in this mathematical computation, with muzzle velocity squared, indicates more effective bullet expansion. It's the .270 Winchester effect from 1923, that works better on thin skinned game.
But I still prefer a 30-06 200 grain, or .35 Whelen 250 grain for effect.

@Hunter-Habib pictures and descriptions show, big difference in a lighter bullet (300 grain .375, 47% lighter than a 570 grain .510 bullet), but with 18.6% more muzzle velocity.
It's just math, but some engineering is well explained by math.

As for me, I have 2 boxes of .358, Barnes 225 grain TSX, that my gunsmith gave me, going to load them up at max velocity, (2600 fps) .030 off the lands. for my three .35 Whelen rifles. He told me they work on game, every time.
@cajunchefray
Where's your sense of adventure mate. 2,600 fps for a 225 gn out of the Whelen is just starting to warm up
Just load them to a proper speed that the where they belong in the Whelen 2,900 fps then have a bucket of fun.
You will notice a big difference in hitting power and range capabilities.
Be brave my son, have another poboy and think about it then go ahead and stoke it up where it belongs
I load a 220 gn atomic 29 similar to the Barnes to 2,880 fps. Holy snappin duck shit batman that flattens hogs.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m25chauffeur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.