UGANDA: Uganda Wildlife Safaris

Holy cow what a bushbuck! Another bushbuck of my dreams!!! Congrats

Fabulous adventure....................thanks for a great write!.............FWB

That is a dreamy bushbuck! Fantastic trip! Trophy quality is unbelievable.

Congrats, a great hunt so far with excellent trophies !

Day 7

Today we were headed for Aswa Lolim, on the border with Murchison Falls National Park. It took about 7 hours to get to camp as we stopped for lunch then had to cross the Nile by ferry. We drove slowly through the Park spotting multiple Dagga Boy's as well as hundreds of Oribi and Hartebeast. There was the occasional Elephant and a few groups of Rothchilds Giraffe and a small troop of Colobus Monkey. The Kob were in the rut so we saw quite a few displays of rutting activity and sparring.

IMG_0457.jpg

Taken with an iPhone 8

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

After we settled in at camp we headed out to look for Kob. Within 10 minutes we spotted several groups of ewes with young and multiple bulls. Just at sunset Paul spotted a nice bull and we moved into position. But after closer inspection I wanted to wait.

So, back at camp to a shower and a wonderful meal. To bed at 10 as we were up tomorrow at 5:30 to search for Kob.

Last edited by a moderator:
The adventure continues.
I can see by the photo that you appreciated that Bushbuck. You are going to be waiting a long time to better that one. Congratulations.

Colobus Monkeys are beautiful and can make some of the strangest noises.

On the way back through Murchison Falls, you might consider stopping and climbing out on the rocks above the falls. Great View!

Also, you are fairly close to where Elgin Gates shot his 180+ lb elephant. Your PH or outfitter might know where that was. Really interesting story how the elephant fell into the Nile and they made bark ropes, then dove down 10-15' in croc infested waters to secure the tusks.

Will you be going to the Karamojong on this safari?

I'm loving your report. Best of luck on the rest of your animals!(y)

Day 8

Up to the alarm, I must've been tired from the road trip. A light breakfast of toast, coffee and we were off as the sun broke the horizon. We went back to the same area as last evening and almost immediately found a good bull. He had everything I was looking but lacked width. His horns had very nice shape and long curling tips but he bedded back down at 250 yards so we chose to leave him and carry on. He was certainly a candidate but I wanted to look for the perfect Kob.

Over the next half hour we saw over 250 Kob! It was an amazing sight to see all of the activity. At one point I counted 41 bulls amongst a large group of female and young.

We stopped to glass a hillside from about 300 yards and worked through the group of more than 70 Kob. Suddenly, a group of young rams appeared out of the bottom and were walking towards the others - about 16 rams. All of the sudden, I spotted a big ram in with the youngsters. I said to Paul, "look at the ram in the middle of that group, he's got a wide bell and excellent mass. As Paul looked the ram turned profile to carry on and I saw the length and quickly said "that is the ram I want to take".

We made a plan to drop out of sight and move closer using some brush to obstruct their view. At the final approach I ranged them at 202 yards and Paul pointed and said "lets move up to that ant mound there" pointing 50 or so yards ahead. We approached unseen and eased out the side to locate the bull. As we did, some females broke and ran to our left and the entire group followed - a hunderd plus Kob in a gallop!

They had covered too much ground to pursue on foot so we got in the cruiser and made our way around. Within 10 minutes we had located the herd again and started glassing. He was not in the group so we moved slowly forward constantly on the watch. As we approached the bottom where he had originally been spotted, a handful of rams were coming up on the other side. I finally spotted him half way up on the hill, facing off with another really nice ram. They were well over 300 and Paul said "let's move towards that large shade tree in the bottom". Slowly we made our way and ultimately got into position at about 144 yards. The rams were watching us but not spooked. I set the sticks up but could only see his head and horns from the elevation difference. The ram started slowly walking in our direction and now I had a frontal shot. He stopped, frozen looking at us. I studied him in the scope and eased the safety off and waited for him to move.

My mind went to the activity we have seen and I thought at any moment he could bolt if another ram prod's him. As he moved, he began to offer a slight quartering towards me shot and I felt very steady so I put the crosshairs on the lower crease between the neck and shoulder and squeezed off. The ram jumped, ran in a semi-circle and fell over dead.

DSC04155.jpg

A beautiful ram, 23" long with 7" bases! An awesome Uganda Kob and exactly what I was looking for.

After the photo session we were back in camp for an early lunch and packed up to head north. The Kob is the only specie left on quota in this area so we are moving to Karamoja.

In Karamoja we will hunt Nile Buffalo, East African Defassa Waterbuck and Guenthers Dik Dik.

You are keeping to the theme. Nice trophy.

Day 9

I didn't wake early today, slept right to the wake up call at 5:30. Breakfast of coffee, toast and fruit then we were off. We departed camp just as the sun was breaking the horizon and we were in search of Waterbuck. I have the 416 Rigby barrel and scope along with just in case we run across a big Buffalo. Immediately we spotted Oribi, a few Warthog and lots of Hartebeast. About a half hour into the hunt a group of dagga boys were spotted about 300 yards off the road. Paul said "let's get down for a closer look". There were 4 bulls, one that stuck out as he was very wide but also that he had a reddish appearance. Obviously he had been rolling in the mud and had properly colored himself up. The buffalo were calm and two of them bedded back down. We discussed the bull and knowing that the average Nile Buffalo is 34"-36" and this bull looks to be around 40 we were off to get a closer look.

I switched barrels and scopes on my Dakota Traveler, put the 416 Rigby ammo in my cartridge belt and we started the hunt. We walked about 500 yards down the road, the opposite direction from the bulls and got the wind right. Slowly we moved forward and within 10-15 minutes we were about 200 yards of the bulls, three still bedded and the fourth one out of sight. The tree/bush cover became more sparse and was presenting a problem moving forward undetected. Paul said "lets try to get to that broken tree ahead and take another look". We made it there but the red bull caught movement and stood up.

As we studied him, Paul said "this is a really fine bull, it would be hard to better this one but we can keep looking if you want". I said "I know its the first day but I like the bull and if he's top end then let's take him". Paul said "how far are we?" I ranged the bull at 148 yards. Paul said "we won't get any closer as they know we are here. If you are comfortable with the shot you can take it". I told Paul "If I can get to that tree and shoot prone, I can make the shot". I wanted to be absolutely sure as no one likes to follow up a foul shot buffalo.

I slowly scooted forward about 5 yards with my rifle across my lap to the broken over tree. The bulls didn't move and I settled into position. The 416 Rigby is topped with a Schmidt Bender 1.1-4X scope with the illuminated dot and I had it cranked up to the max. I had to shift over a couple of times to find the right height and I put the dot dead center of the bulls chest. I took several deep breaths and was absolutely comfortable taking the shot. As the dot remained on his chest I started the trigger squeeze and was surprised by the shot! I could see the bull back straight up from the impact and I sat up and put another round in him as he ran away.

We were up and running after the bull and since he was the only red one in the group it was no issue to identify him for follow up shots. The bull ran about 50 yards and laid down. We stopped and Paul set the sticks, I hit him again on the shoulder and he was off. I hit him once again running away and another 60 yards or so and he was back down. We moved up cautiously and gave him one for insurance.
IMG_0543.jpg

A beautiful old bull, warn some of his tips but still with some curl at the ends. A very nice Nile Buffalo 40" wide! I was ecstatic to say the least and commented to Paul how tough they are. After gutting the bull we could see the solid clipped the bottom of the heart. Obviously one of the follow ups was through the lungs by the frothy blood.

We were done taking pictures by 9 and back to camp for an early lunch! An afternoon celebratory smoke and a few whiskey's as I had called it a day. Another great day of hunting in Uganda.

Great report! Thanks for sharing!

Interesting that in topic about hunting info by country there is no mention and genral info about Uganda. Obviously, it has pottential!

Wow, the hunting stories for this hunt are amazing! What an exception Nile buffalo ad kob!!!

I've heard the warthogs in this area are bigger in size than the ones you see in RSA or Namibia. What were your observations?

Colobus Monkeys are beautiful and can make some of the strangest noises.

On the way back through Murchison Falls, you might consider stopping and climbing out on the rocks above the falls. Great View!

Also, you are fairly close to where Elgin Gates shot his 180+ lb elephant. Your PH or outfitter might know where that was. Really interesting story how the elephant fell into the Nile and they made bark ropes, then dove down 10-15' in croc infested waters to secure the tusks.

Will you be going to the Karamojong on this safari?

I'm loving your report. Best of luck on the rest of your animals!(y)

Thanks @Wheels, I wont get back through Murchison this trip. I asked my PH if he knew about the Elgin Gates Elephant and he did not. Sounds like an interesting story!

Up in the Karamoja now, hunting along the border with Kidepa Nat'l Park. We are about 40 K's from South Sudan and 90 K's from Kenya.

Thank you @enysse, it has been a great safari in some of of the most incredible scenery. According to Paul my PH the Warthog here are not as big as the ones down South and if you see one over 12" thats a monster.

Holy cow those are some great trophies. Exceptional buf and Kob. You are really racking up the trophies! I should of taken you up on offer to go on this trip......... Congrats.
Bruce

Love the kob!! Congrats!

Thanks @Wheels, I wont get back through Murchison this trip. I asked my PH if he knew about the Elgin Gates Elephant and he did not. Sounds like an interesting story!

Up in the Karamoja now, hunting along the border with Kidepa Nat'l Park. We are about 40 K's from South Sudan and 90 K's from Kenya.

Nice N. buffalo, Kob looks fantastic.

Thanks for the coordinates. It's nice to see the area you are hunting.

I believe @shakari Steve Robinson and others have identified and stayed at a couple of the camps that Bell had in the Karamoja. Will you be close to any of these?

Hope the rest of your safari goes well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alejandra6

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia