Trusting A Wild Animal - And Nearly Killed By Him

I saw on instagram a guy who spend time with a wolf every now and there like they are friends now. He has been doing it for something now… wonder if anyone else saw that.

A friend of mine, a huge fellow, had a pair of duiker on his plot. One day the male put multiple stab wounds into his calves, he said he couldn’t get it away from him it was so strong and determined.
Reminded me I’ve a guy out near Western gate in Harare that had a pet hyena as a guard dog. lol never got robbed. As I recall he hard rather a hard time finding staff:LOL:

Reminded me I’ve a guy out near Western gate in Harare that had a pet hyena as a guard dog. lol never got robbed. As I recall he hard rather a hard time finding staff:LOL:
I hate hyenas, they are the most untrustworthy of them all. Who does he sleep at night without worries of finding his neck the next morning.

Not just wild animals but domesticated can be as well.

My first DG hunt
A bit long winded but I thought I should share this

About 20 years ago I had a very dramatic and eye opening experience that I would like to share with AH members.
We run a cow calf beef operation and one of the tasks that we do annually in the spring is semen test our herd bulls before breeding season to check their semen for acceptable levels of semen quality and vitality after the winter cold. It can be along swim to the egg and healthy and active sperm are a necessity. We had two bulls to test and I decide to take them into the veterinary clinic to perform the tests there. For the uninitiated, the test requires a prostate massage as well as a physical examination of the sex organs of the bull being tested. The prostate massage involves the insertion of an electronic massager, a probe about 3 inches in diameter and 10-12 long, inserted in the bulls anus, and an electric pulse is applied rhythmically to induce the penis to protrude and then provide a semen sample by ejaculation, which is captured into a test tube to be examined under a microscope. So I decided to haul one bull in at a time, an hour round trip time. Well I hauled one bull in, unloaded him and then returned home to haul the next one in while the vet performed the test on the first bull. Upon arriving with the second bull, the vet informed me that the first bulls test were completed, he passed and it wouldn't take long to complete the test on bull number 2. So I decide to wait on bull 2 to be finished and then haul them both home at once. I had bull 1 loader into the trailer and was closing the divider gate when bull 2 came up the loading alley behind me and entered the trailer before the divider gate got latched. And he wasn't very happy. And then the bull fight was on. The divider gate was smashed as they started fighting in the trailer. while Im still in the trailer. Somehow, and I don't know how, I managed to get out the back of the trailer unscathed. But the bull fight in the trailer continued to the point that their actions pushed the truck and stock trailer away from the loading chute, at which point the loosing bull, bull 2 was out of the trailer and now in the general area of the town that was open to the public. I managed to slam the tailgate door closed on bull 1 but now we had a real problem on our hands. The freed bull decide to head into town, but thankfully with help from local residents we managed to get him away from the general public and persuaded to go into an open field on the outskirts of town. Bull 1 was hauled back home but what about Bull 2. If i tried to approach him, once I got closer than 50 feet, it provoked him into a charge, not a bluff but a threat to kill charge. What to do? I suggested to the vet that I thought the only solution would be to tranquilize him, but how. The vet informed me that he had tranquilizer serum but no way of administering it in an open field. I told him that I had a tranquilizer gun if I could get close enough to the bull to shoot him with it. A local farmer friend came out to the field with his front end loader tractor thinking that he could possibly herd the bull to his cattle herd only a half mile away but the bull was still so mad that he refused to herded and only charger into the front end of the tractor, luckily only hitting the front end loader frame. Plan number two. Because it was mid March, the field that the bull was in was extremely muddy with melting snow. The only way to approach the bull was with the farm tractor. So I got into the front end loader bucket, after the vet pleaded with me to be careful, there was enough serum in the dart that if I accidentally shot myself with it, it would kill me instantly ,was elevated about 8 feet up and with the loaded tranquilizer gun we approached the bull with the intent of hitting him with a tranquiler dart. At about 50 feet separation, the bull charged the front of the tractor and hit the loader frame at full speed, rocking the tractor vilently with me in the bucket. Leaning over the edge of the bucket I shot him in the neck muscle hump successfully and he just turned away and ran away. We waited for the tranquilizer to take affect but after 20 minutes or so, no affect was apparent. So it was decide to try again. Same scenario, same full bore chart into the front of the tractor, another dart hit into the neck of the bull and then he ran back to where he started the charge. Another wait for 20 minuted, no change in the bulls demeanour. One more time, again. Round three, same approach, same charged, another successful darting and the bull retreated to to his starting point. Keep in mind that the bull received 3 doses of tranquilizer serum for a 2500 pound animal each time, 3 times, a true testament of the power of adrenaline. So we decide to wait as we didn't want the bull to die in the field. After about another 40 minutes or so I began to notice that the bull was displaying the characteristics of an inebriated person so I took a lariat out to him, placed it around is neck and made a rope halter out of it and put it on him, as docile as a sleeping old dog. I began leading him to the truck and stock trailer when he collapsed in a heap. we managed to load him into the trailer with the assistance of the front end loader tractor.to haul him home. At home he had recovered enough to unload but for the next three weeks he would charge anyone and everything that came into the corral. He was shipped to market and his breeding days were over.
Incidentally, the bulls semen test passed but he failed miserably on his attitude.
Wow, that's a lot/load of bull!

From FOX News: in Compton, California - a 35 year old man has succumbed to injuries inflicted by the 13 pitbulls housed in a kennel in his back yard. It is believed the attack occurred during a feeding. Police suspect the victim was breeding the pittbulls.

Yep thats what
From FOX News: in Compton, California - a 35 year old man has succumbed to injuries inflicted by the 13 pitbulls housed in a kennel in his back yard. It is believed the attack occurred during a feeding. Police suspect the victim was breeding the pittbulls.
yep thats what happens, they snap mentally, thats why you should never, never leave them around children. did I mention never do that. Was in Georgia few years ago on visit to my son, not far from Bragg, on state wildlife reserve land hiking back to truck 2 women with 2 very large dogs walking toward us, one started at a run toward me as soon as it saw me, I swept my coat aside and laid my hand on my pistol, ' BORROWED" and the woman called out oh he wont hurt you, I thot yea thats your private opinion, I shouted and he stopped finally, I was thankful as I could imagine the trouble I would have been in for " shots fired".

Fascinating article in the Texas Monthly about a warthog that had been raised and befriended on a Texas Hill Country ranch that decided to try his best to kill his owner.

View attachment 586734
@Red Leg
One of our Australian gun writers and outdoorsman and hunter Col Allison was hunting Africa. The property he was staying on had a so called domesticated warthog that would wander the camp looking for pats.
From memory Col was having his morning coffee outside when said warthog decided to attack him. The attack almost cost him his life and he spent considerable time in both African and Australian hospitals recovering..
Bob

Not just wild animals but domesticated can be as well.

My first DG hunt
A bit long winded but I thought I should share this

About 20 years ago I had a very dramatic and eye opening experience that I would like to share with AH members.
We run a cow calf beef operation and one of the tasks that we do annually in the spring is semen test our herd bulls before breeding season to check their semen for acceptable levels of semen quality and vitality after the winter cold. It can be along swim to the egg and healthy and active sperm are a necessity. We had two bulls to test and I decide to take them into the veterinary clinic to perform the tests there. For the uninitiated, the test requires a prostate massage as well as a physical examination of the sex organs of the bull being tested. The prostate massage involves the insertion of an electronic massager, a probe about 3 inches in diameter and 10-12 long, inserted in the bulls anus, and an electric pulse is applied rhythmically to induce the penis to protrude and then provide a semen sample by ejaculation, which is captured into a test tube to be examined under a microscope. So I decided to haul one bull in at a time, an hour round trip time. Well I hauled one bull in, unloaded him and then returned home to haul the next one in while the vet performed the test on the first bull. Upon arriving with the second bull, the vet informed me that the first bulls test were completed, he passed and it wouldn't take long to complete the test on bull number 2. So I decide to wait on bull 2 to be finished and then haul them both home at once. I had bull 1 loader into the trailer and was closing the divider gate when bull 2 came up the loading alley behind me and entered the trailer before the divider gate got latched. And he wasn't very happy. And then the bull fight was on. The divider gate was smashed as they started fighting in the trailer. while Im still in the trailer. Somehow, and I don't know how, I managed to get out the back of the trailer unscathed. But the bull fight in the trailer continued to the point that their actions pushed the truck and stock trailer away from the loading chute, at which point the loosing bull, bull 2 was out of the trailer and now in the general area of the town that was open to the public. I managed to slam the tailgate door closed on bull 1 but now we had a real problem on our hands. The freed bull decide to head into town, but thankfully with help from local residents we managed to get him away from the general public and persuaded to go into an open field on the outskirts of town. Bull 1 was hauled back home but what about Bull 2. If i tried to approach him, once I got closer than 50 feet, it provoked him into a charge, not a bluff but a threat to kill charge. What to do? I suggested to the vet that I thought the only solution would be to tranquilize him, but how. The vet informed me that he had tranquilizer serum but no way of administering it in an open field. I told him that I had a tranquilizer gun if I could get close enough to the bull to shoot him with it. A local farmer friend came out to the field with his front end loader tractor thinking that he could possibly herd the bull to his cattle herd only a half mile away but the bull was still so mad that he refused to herded and only charger into the front end of the tractor, luckily only hitting the front end loader frame. Plan number two. Because it was mid March, the field that the bull was in was extremely muddy with melting snow. The only way to approach the bull was with the farm tractor. So I got into the front end loader bucket, after the vet pleaded with me to be careful, there was enough serum in the dart that if I accidentally shot myself with it, it would kill me instantly ,was elevated about 8 feet up and with the loaded tranquilizer gun we approached the bull with the intent of hitting him with a tranquiler dart. At about 50 feet separation, the bull charged the front of the tractor and hit the loader frame at full speed, rocking the tractor vilently with me in the bucket. Leaning over the edge of the bucket I shot him in the neck muscle hump successfully and he just turned away and ran away. We waited for the tranquilizer to take affect but after 20 minutes or so, no affect was apparent. So it was decide to try again. Same scenario, same full bore chart into the front of the tractor, another dart hit into the neck of the bull and then he ran back to where he started the charge. Another wait for 20 minuted, no change in the bulls demeanour. One more time, again. Round three, same approach, same charged, another successful darting and the bull retreated to to his starting point. Keep in mind that the bull received 3 doses of tranquilizer serum for a 2500 pound animal each time, 3 times, a true testament of the power of adrenaline. So we decide to wait as we didn't want the bull to die in the field. After about another 40 minutes or so I began to notice that the bull was displaying the characteristics of an inebriated person so I took a lariat out to him, placed it around is neck and made a rope halter out of it and put it on him, as docile as a sleeping old dog. I began leading him to the truck and stock trailer when he collapsed in a heap. we managed to load him into the trailer with the assistance of the front end loader tractor.to haul him home. At home he had recovered enough to unload but for the next three weeks he would charge anyone and everything that came into the corral. He was shipped to market and his breeding days were over.
Incidentally, the bulls semen test passed but he failed miserably on his attitude.
So loved this story! So reminded me of the hi jinx that we used to get up to at home, when dealing with cattle. Them bulls just hate it when someone stuffs something up the wrong end! Very unpc :LOL:

@Red Leg
One of our Australian gun writers and outdoorsman and hunter Col Allison was hunting Africa. The property he was staying on had a so called domesticated warthog that would wander the camp looking for pats.
From memory Col was having his morning coffee outside when said warthog decided to attack him. The attack almost cost him his life and he spent considerable time in both African and Australian hospitals recovering..
Bob
Little Governors Masai Mara had a similar incident

My dad was a veterinarian. When pet owners (dogs and cats) brought their animals in for shots, he'd have the owners hold the animal. They always told him that the animal doesn't bite and were always surprised when they got bit.

My dad was a veterinarian. When pet owners (dogs and cats) brought their animals in for shots, he'd have the owners hold the animal. They always told him that the animal doesn't bite and were always surprised when they got bit.
My father had a raven that he rescued when we were kids. It stayed around for 10-12 years. It would land on his arm and hand feed. Wouldnt let us kids touch him though. I had one of those black furry jumping spiders live in my old pickup for several years. I would park under the street light and leave the windows open so the bugs would get in. He got to be bigger than a quarter. I sold the pickup with him in it :p

It is a well recognized fact that dairy bullls are way more dangerous than beef bulls. Recognized by real farmers and ranchers anyway. Dairy bulls, all real dairy cattle for that matter, are hand raised by humans and thus not afraid and actually accustomed to being handled by and in close proximity to humans. Add in 2000 plus pounds of pure muscle and a bit of a head toss and even a non attack can be dangerous. Throw in a pile of testosterone and and bad attitude and people get injured and killed.

I don't belive I've ever personally owned a mature bull. Well not one on any of my farms. I have had ownership in some at AI companies. The odds are we'd have had someone killed in over 40 years I've owned dairy cattle if we used bulls. We do not, we use AI exclusively.
And the Jerseys the most bad tempered, I hear?

I have a cat that will try to trip me when I'm going down the stairs. How does cat taste? Asking for a friend.

Very similar to rabbit, white meat.

Heard from a friend ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?