Trophy shipping costs

I know I got an email from Lifeform taxidermy, saying they were closing for the holidays, resuming shipping 1/10/2023 So hoping the wait helps with fuel cists, or whatever the exorbitant charges are from. Should hear soon?? Then I’ll make the drive out to Seattle for the pickup. 6 hours each way from Idaho.

South Africa charges hunters the VAT Tax 15% if you wound, don't kill or don't take your trophies back home. This has nothing to do with the outfitter.

Looking forward to seeing your trophies!

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

I have a newbie question here. You have to pay to ship your trophies and then pay an agent to get those trophies through customs? And this includes finished taxidermy?

You have to arrange for a agent to work on your behalf in Africa to take care of your shipments. That is unless you want to stay there until your trophies are finished.

Then once your trophies are here in the US or elsewhere you can do the clearing with your customs yourself but most of us find it easier to hire a agent that is familiar with the process to do it for us.

I have a newbie question here. You have to pay to ship your trophies and then pay an agent to get those trophies through customs? And this includes finished taxidermy?
Yes
Some folks say they do the customs process themselves, so it is possible.
I’ve never had any experience though, so aid the broker to do it. The paperwork has to be 100 % correct, it has to clear through like three different federal agents, and if any delays it’s very costly $$$ every day it sits in airline storage. Just seemed to be less risk to have the pros do it.

As oahufish said you don’t have to pay a customs broker in the states but keeping up wit any new regulations would be tough. Coordinating inspections and that sort of thing seem almost impossible if you don’t live at a port of entry.

So if you are close enough to a port of entry and your paperwork is 100% correct, does that mean you don't have to worry about airline storage?

I believe that the airline storage will also depend on the US Customs time table. It isn't like you get a call from some airline to come and pick up your crate.

Plus depending on what you are bringing back it may have to go to a USDA certified warehouse or shop. This is mostly for any swine or primate such as a warthog and any of the monkeys/baboons I believe.

And none of the above include a animal that is on the cites list.

Plus depending on what you are bringing back it may have to go to a USDA certified warehouse or shop. This is mostly for any swine or primate such as a warthog and any of the monkeys/baboons I believe.
Does that include completed euro / shoulder mounts for baboons and warthogs? I thought it was just for dip and packs of those animals but I have no experience to back up that thought

Does that include completed euro / shoulder mounts for baboons and warthogs? I thought it was just for dip and packs of those animals but I have no experience to back up that thought
I had a shipment with baboon and bushpig finished taxidermy back in 2021 and they did not go to USDA but some other members said that theirs did . The regulations seem some what fluid in people’s interpretation on how some things are handled. My dip & pack warthog did go to USDA in 2014.

Reactions: MTA
I had a shipment with baboon and bushpig finished taxidermy back in 2021 and they did not go to USDA but some other members said that theirs did . The regulations seem some what fluid in people’s interpretation on how some things are handled. My dip & pack warthog did go to USDA in 2014.

I believe that all this changed in 2022. I read a number of reports on here that even finished taxidermy was being sent and checked at a USDA shop. I then talked to two different importers and both said that finished taxidermy now needed to go to a USDA shop or location.

I picked a importer who has a USDA certified warehouse to eliminate the need to add one more location for my trophies that should be shipped around the end of this month.

JimP, you are probably correct, thinking back my finished taxidermy in 2022 went to USDA, I think the first 5 animals inspected is around $30 and $5 each for any animals above 5.

Is there not a phone number or e-mail for someone in customs who can definitively say? Or would such a number be a close-guarded secret among these "agents?"

So if you are close enough to a port of entry and your paperwork is 100% correct, does that mean you don't have to worry about airline storage?

I believe the length of time they sit in storage all depends upon how quickly the government agents from customs and USFWS can get to them. At least that’s what I was told by clearance agents in LA and SFO. They warned me recently it was taking up to a week or longer, and it was on their timetable.

I used Coppersmith in SEA and was told once it cleared customs, they would remove it to their warehouse where the other’s agencies could then clear my crate. Not quite sure why the California agents couldn’t do the same.

No
You still have to deal with customs, USDA and Fish and Wildlife all on thier timeframe.

Anyone here ever used Gallagher Transport as the shipping agent?

is Coppersmith handling everything and if he is then why did he not handle it on arrival, maybe you should be telling him to pay the bill

I got totally hosed by them. I had a warthog in the shipment, and Coppersmith new about it. My cargo sat in storage jail for over 10 days, and my bill doubled by the time the airline was done. I disputed this discrepancy with Coppersmith, that it was double what they had quoted me. All he could say was, sorry we made a mistake, and took $100 off the total bill. I'm still pi$$ed off about it.

I've had good and bad experiences shipping trophies home....lately more bad.
This is one of downsides of hunting Africa.

My latest outfitter uses SBS Logistics, has anyone used them? They have my trophies and are working on crating and permits now. My customs broker ( Coppersmiths) gives them very high marks. Just curious as there is nothing I can do about it now.
I have a crate being shipped the next week or so from SBS. 6 shoulder and one full body (duiker) They have been EXTREMELY easy to work with. 52" x 39" x 51" 104 kgs --- Don't have full total yet, but yes it adds significant cost to the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyman88W3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?