Trophy Room Question

I never considered an actual hippo mount - just skull and tusks. Now that I'll have room I suppose I could get another one and sub in these tusks.

View attachment 590547
I would get a replica hippo and insert the tusks. To me, they are indistinguishable from a skin mount but age better. If interested, please pm me and I'll send pics and recommend a studio.

Last edited:
Not a comment on size, but in materials. I am in the process of designing my house and trophy room and will be putting 3/4" plywood on all the walls of the trophy room. This will allow you to place a mount anywhere, not just a stud.
This is key!

Yes, the plan is for all walls to be sheeted with 3/4 ply, raised panel wainscoting, with sheetrock on the upper walls and ceiling.
Good call! That's exactly how I did it. Tucked behind the crown molding on top of the wainscoting are LED rope lights.

Trophy Room.jpg

Not a comment on size, but in materials. I am in the process of designing my house and trophy room and will be putting 3/4" plywood on all the walls of the trophy room. This will allow you to place a mount anywhere, not just a stud.
Another option is to design your space where you can access behind your walls. Luckily, this is how my home was built. To hang an oversized mount, I go ahead and drill my hole and then enter the attic and secure a 2x6 in between the studs. It sounds like a lot of work but it’s quite easy. For small mounts, I simply use plastic screw-in wall anchors. Also, don’t forget oversized doors so large mounts will fit. I will update pic when my 2023 buffalo (2) and leopard are hung.
IMG_9848.jpg

Might I recommend 4x the space that you originally thought? Trust me, I read through about half your list. You will end up needing more room than you could imagine. Not because you are indulgent. You always want to make it look pleasing and give yourself more space.

Trophy rooms are like gun safes, you always go bigger. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndianaPiz

Latest profile posts

We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe