Trophy Room Build after 45 years of hunting

Looking great!! I know you're very excited for the completion! And so are we!

Absolutely wonderful!! Is that a horned female nyala or a bull with a hormone problem?
My understanding is that this is a rare occurrence of a male Nyala with underdeveloped testicles, thus a lack of testosterone. This causes a lack of complete development to the appearance of a normal, mature bull.

Did you personally harvest all of these animals?
@Daisy I did harvest everything seen except the crocodile which my wife shot. She collected the old lizard in the Luangwa Valley many years ago. I opted to take a smaller croc to make boots from.

The full LDE mount is amazing
I took that bull in 2016 and knew I wanted to mount him lifesize. It just took 8 years to finally get everything together where he could be displayed properly. They are truly one of the most spectacular African species and I am honored to have hunted him.

Was your taxidermy done by multiple practitioners, or primarily a single artist? US based or international? Regardless, it’s superb! And as sated, the LDE is beyond words!!

There have been multiple taxidermists over the years. The oldest mount is the reddish blonde Catalina goat and that goes back to 1979. There are about six mounts done in South Africa and certainly did not meet my level of expectations when they arrived. For the newer mounts (last few years) I have used a couple of different taxidermists in the San Anronio area. Like anything else, technology has improved and better forms are available but it still takes a masterful artist to create a lifelike mount.

There have been multiple taxidermists over the years. The oldest mount is the reddish blonde Catalina goat and that goes back to 1979. There are about six mounts done in South Africa and certainly did not meet my level of expectations when they arrived. For the newer mounts (last few years) I have used a couple of different taxidermists in the San Anronio area. Like anything else, technology has improved and better forms are available but it still takes a masterful artist to create a lifelike mount.
Room is looking great! Thank you for sharing!

Absolutely stunning sir. Congratulations and well done.

We had an interesting occurrence yesterday. The tile man was working away when he saw a snake go across the floor and into the African habitat. The taxidermist and his helper were finally able to catch the snake after some time (a harmless Coachwhip) and release it
IMG_0029.jpeg
in the pasture.

I told the taxidermist that I really appreciate the effort he is putting in to make the scenes realistic but this was taking it a bit too far!

We speculate he came in through a hole around air conditioning lines so promptly sealed those up to alleviate any future problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkApodac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.